x

Does the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime Phone work with the square?

Hello. I was wondering if anyone knew if the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime Phone work with the Square?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 45
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

I can definitely help out with this question! 

To get going, the Square magstripe and chip card readers are compatible with most Apple iOS and Android devices running the latest software versions.

On the flip side, we don't currently support the following:

• BlackBerry devices
  • Windows devices
  • Non-mobile devices, such as laptop and desktop computers
  • Unreleased or beta software versions for your device
  • Amazon Kindle devices

To confirm if your exact device is supported, just visit Square's Device Compatibility page

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

To Square

From [readacted personal information]

I received your new chip reader late February just before I left the country.  I have returned and contacted Verizon my cell carrier to see if my current cellphone can handle your new system.  They told me my phone is not capable to handle your system.

I need to know what Android phones are capable primarily I am interested in Samsung as I have had my current phone for years and am happy with the Samsung products.

What capability does a new phone need to work with your new program?

Please advise should I delete my current Square app before I download the new software?

Thank you  

[redacted personal information]

Message 22 of 45

I know that you provided some information at the end of 2015.   It was also stated that there would be more updates when they occurred.  I was hoping you had an updated list by now.  Also, some of my questions were never addressed in your reply such as what IOS would my new phone need, do I need to remove my current square app before I download your up-to-date version.  Please advise!  Thank you Joe Smiga.

Message 23 of 45
Square Community Moderator

@smiganh Check out the information in this thread, or head over to our Device Compatibility page to check if your device works. 

You don't necessarily need to remove the current Square App to update, you can do this from the app store. 

Message 24 of 45

Is the LG G5 phone compatible with the square?

Message 25 of 45
Square

@tmcphoto - It doesn't look like we have any testing data on this exact device. Having said that, it does look like the reader has been compatible with each of the older generations of this phone model. You'll have to check it out, and then let us know!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 26 of 45

Will square reader work with the android Z TE

Message 27 of 45
Square Community Moderator

@Jack4411 Check out the information in this existing thread in regards to device compatibility. Feel free to head over to our Device Compatibility page. 

Message 28 of 45

My tracfone ZTE works perfectly with the Square Magnastrip Reader.  Just ordered the chip reader to try.

Message 29 of 45

... ZTE Valet

Message 30 of 45
Square

@TreasureShop - Glad to hear, and thanks for sharing! 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 31 of 45

Chip reader works with the ZTE Valet too. Just purchased the ZTE Paragon - the chip reader and strip reader both work. But from what I've been reading, Tracfones use different cell carriers based on the phone.  The Tracfone ZTE works much better at our business location... think the Tracfone ZTE works on Verizon network and the Tracfone Paragon works on the ATT Network?  So if you are using a company like Tracfone or Straignt Talk, be sure to consider the coverage in your location and not only the phone working with Square.  Here is a link how to determine. Tracfone carriers http://www.preprepaid.com/whichtracfonecarrier.php

Message 32 of 45
Square

Really helpful info, thanks for sharing @TreasureShop!

Message 33 of 45

We found out the ZTE Paragon we were using through Tracfone used the T-Mobile network.  

Message 34 of 45
Square

@Sierra - Hmmm. It doesn't look like we have any official word out on those phones yet. While it's possible that they will work, I can't say officially. In general, a device needs to meet the following requirements: 

• The latest software version: Android 4.4 or above, and iOS 8 or iOS 9.1 and above.
  • An updated version of the Square app: Version 4.30 or higher for iOS, and version 4.32 or higher for Android. Learn how to update your app.
  • Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)

As for advice for alternates, while I don't have a lot of experience with Android devices, feel free to start a new thread and ask the community! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 35 of 45

Thanks Sean!

I'm told that both of the phones I mentioned earlier have Marshmalllow (Android 6.0).

I did some research and it seems that Bluetooth LE has been merged into Bluetooth 4.0, and the 2 phones I mentioned have Bluetooth 4.1, so they should work. 

Thanks! 

Message 36 of 45
Square

@Sierra - Glad to hear! You'll have to let us know how things go! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 37 of 45

ZTE Valet does NOT work with the Square Contactless & Chip Reader.  

The Magnstrip & chip reader that plug in are compatible and will both work with my ZTE Valet.

Message 38 of 45
Square

@dandjwest - It does sound like you'd need to purchase or use a different device that is listed as compatible on our site. 

@TreasureShop - Thanks for sharing! 

I'll pass along both of your requests for compatibility with these devices. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Message 39 of 45

Just bought an LG G Pad 8.3 (V510) that turned out to NOT be compatible with Square. I am looking into the LG Electronics G Pad II 8-Inch Tablet (LGV498), however, I want to make sure it is Square compatible before I make the purchase!

Message 40 of 45

My first tablet purchase did not work with the Square chip reader.  We bought the LG G Pad 7.0, which was on the Square compatability list and it is working fine.

Message 41 of 45

Can I use Sqaure Point of Sale with a regular desktop computer or do I have to have an iPad or phone?

Message 42 of 45