x

Enable signature screen for every transaction.

Hello,

I am in the automotive business and every sale transaction need to be signed  by the customer.  Is there a way to enable a feature?

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, @eric_.

I see what you mean — because of the constraint of only accepting signatures for card payments, I don't have a workaround that would fully accomplish what you're looking to do within the app. You can add notes or detailed item descriptions to a payment that will show up on the receipt, but collecting signatures for the agreements you've mentioned will still have to be done outside of the app. In addition, we do not currently offer receipts in a PDF format, though we are tracking that request. For now, you might consider trying out a service that specializes in electronic signatures, like DocuSign.

Thank you for your patience as we're constantly working to improve our services based on seller feedback.

If any other sellers in a similar situation have any additional insight to add, feel free to chime in! 📣

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

Hey @eric_ — welcome to the seller community!

Thanks for bringing this up. The only time the app will require a signature is when the customer pays using a credit or debit card. To be sure I'm on the same page, are you needing to enable a feature that requires a signature for any type of payment (e.g. cash or check)? Please feel free to reply with a bit more information and I'll be sure to surface your post with our Product Liaison team. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Message 2 of 12

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.  I am new to square and I find the community aspect attractive.

I would like to have a comment to appear on every receipts and the customer sign off on the receipt.  This would be necessary regardless of the type of payment use (even for a cash transaction).  The reason this is required is that information needs to be transmitted to my customer and for liability purposes, the customer needs to acknowledge having seen the information.  For example, I tell all my customers before I leave them that a torque check is required after each service involving a wheel change on their vehicle.  If something happens to the customer's vehicle they can easily say that they have never been told.  I am protected as a business owner if they sign off on the receipt where the information appears. 

I know that you already have the capability to sign on the square app and adding such a feathure would certainly appeal to some type of businesses where a services is being provided.

I was looking today for a temporary solution to my problem and though I could open up the receipt  (from email) in a pdf pro app and have the customer sign directly on the app.  The problem I encounter is that because the receipt sent by square is in the body of the email (as oppose to an attachment) I dont get the option to open the receipt in the pdf format.  

Any recommendation to work around this problem would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 12
Admin

Best Answer

Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, @eric_.

I see what you mean — because of the constraint of only accepting signatures for card payments, I don't have a workaround that would fully accomplish what you're looking to do within the app. You can add notes or detailed item descriptions to a payment that will show up on the receipt, but collecting signatures for the agreements you've mentioned will still have to be done outside of the app. In addition, we do not currently offer receipts in a PDF format, though we are tracking that request. For now, you might consider trying out a service that specializes in electronic signatures, like DocuSign.

Thank you for your patience as we're constantly working to improve our services based on seller feedback.

If any other sellers in a similar situation have any additional insight to add, feel free to chime in! 📣

️ Tom | he/him
Message 4 of 12

I have the same issue, basically. I'm in the appliance repair industry, inside my customers' homes. I need them to sign, agreeing to the repairs made, and that I haven't caused any damage to their property. 

Message 5 of 12
Alumni

Thanks for sharing your situation @elheffe702. We still don't have any features to accommodate this need on our end. However, @Tom's suggestion above for services such DocuSign may work out for you in the meantime. We encourage our Sellers to do what's in the best interest of their business even if it means using a third-party for features we don't provide.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 6 of 12

The problem with using Docusign is that it needs to be a document format.  The invoice sent by square is in the body of an email.  The only solution I see to take a snapshot of your invoice screen or printout and have this signed with Docusign,  It is not ideal.

Message 7 of 12
Alumni

@eric_ - Valid point. A possible solution might be to draft up an agreement form in PDF to use with all of your clients and send that via DocuSign first (or have them sign in person). Once they sign the form, you can send them the Invoice to pay from there. I know it's not the most ideal solution and adds an extra step, but it can ensure you're covered from customer disputes for the time being.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 8 of 12

I have a similar need. I want to take an order, payment for the order, and have a customer sign at a later date to show the order has been picked up.

Message 9 of 12

I would also like to see this feature. I could see Square being useful to record deliveries of products distributed that the customer didn't need to pay anything for or paid cash. My specific need that brought me here is that we finished a Kickstarter and need to deliver rewards. Some of the recipients are local to me so I will be delivering the rewards personally. I would like to be able to record the delivery with a signature that they received their reward.

At the moment, it appears Square will only be used for paid transactions.

Message 10 of 12

Hi Eric

i have a rental equipment business and need all my customers to sign the receipt acknowledging the inherent risks associated with the equipment being rented and that it’s in good condition etc. I have just written the disclaimer into the receipt screen e.g. I........................(fill in name)..............acknowledge the risks associated etc etc blah blah blah and release .........(comapany name).........from any liability etc etc.

You can add any amount of custom text to the bottom of a receipt 

Message 11 of 12

Hi @eric_ ,

It might be worth considering a document management and eSignature solution like PandaDoc which integrates with Square. 

You can create receipts, invoices, quotes, etc. which include electronic signature fields that your recipient can use to complete payment via Square (without leaving the document). What’s more, it’s possible to generate invoices or receipts from templates with just a few clicks.

Message 12 of 12