x

How and where does my employee clock in and out?

I'm having trouble locating the area where my employee issupposed to clock in/log in daily. As a result, I'm creating time cards daily.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 70
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How & where does my employee clock in daily?

@TexasBeef - You've got it! 👍

You can also find more details in our Support Center article: Team Management

2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi there @Curlygirl - and welcome to the Seller Community! I've moved your question to this thread so others looking for this info can find the answer they need. If you've already added your employees in, there may just be a simple step you're missing in order for them to be able to clock in.

It sounds like you've already set up your team member profiles, and assigned your employees Personal Passcodes - you're halfway there! If you're using Passcodes in combination with Time Tracking, you'll need to enable both of these in-app. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Visit Settings while in the Square app
2. Select Passcodes, and toggle Enable Passcodes on

3. Select Time Tracking and toggle Time Tracking on

Now your employees have passcodes, and your settings look good, so it's time to clock in:

• Tablet: with Passcodes enabled, you'll tap Log In/Out in the top-right corner, then Clock In/Out once that appears on your screen.
  • Smartphone: tap the three horizontal lines, then Clock In/Out.
  • Mobile POS: for mobile cashiers signing in to the Square app with their own email, they won’t be prompted to enter a Personal Passcode to clock in.

Let us know if you still have any questions, and feel free to check out this article on Timecard Management for more!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 35 of 70
Alumni

Best Answer

Making sure this thread has an updated best answer..

First, make sure Time Tracking is enabled Settings. Then you'll see a clock icon in the corner of your screen from the Checkout Tab.

Note: If Passcode Access is enabled along with Time Tracking, your employee will need to tap their initials from navigation bar to view the clock icon. 

Justin

View Best Answer >

Message 46 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
Admin

@tht Take a look at Valentina's walk through right above! 

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 43 of 70

Clock in and out how its works

Message 44 of 70
Alumni

First, make sure you're subscribed to Team Management, a free service that allows time tracking functionality. @Jelani

I found a thread that should help and merged you to it. Keep in mind, some of the content and pricing has changed since this thread was created but the links embedded throughout will take you to the right place to learn more.

Justin
Message 45 of 70
Alumni

Best Answer

Making sure this thread has an updated best answer..

First, make sure Time Tracking is enabled Settings. Then you'll see a clock icon in the corner of your screen from the Checkout Tab.

Note: If Passcode Access is enabled along with Time Tracking, your employee will need to tap their initials from navigation bar to view the clock icon. 

Justin
Message 46 of 70

Justin,

Are you talking about the Settings menu on the POS or on the Dashboard?   I don't see a time tracking in the Settings menu on my POS

Thank you

Steven

Message 47 of 70
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @swilburn 👋 Stepping in for Justin on this one.

Here is a helpful guide to walk you through the enabling of Time Tracking. Let us know if you run into any trouble! 

Joe
Message 48 of 70

Hi I was wondering if is an option that the team member only clock in and out on the sales point  and not in their personal phones? 
thanks 

Message 49 of 70

heyy, yes you can limit the access point permission to only shared pos and remove the mobile and dashboard access😀

Message 50 of 70
Beta Member

In my online dashboard, I can see all my employees when I click time cards, but my app does not have a clock symbol or a timecard option in settings. Am I missing something?

Message 51 of 70

Heya @seagreen and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over how to set up your team.

I'd also recommend checking out this specific Support Center article for setting up your team with Square for Retail he...

Ashley C
Message 52 of 70
Beta Member

Thanks! We found the error in the device settings using the dashboard.

Message 53 of 70
Beta Member

@Valentina I'm probably missing something but employees on my device are unable to clock out.  On an android s20 plus, after logging in the employee is prompted to clock in and successfully clocks in and logs in/out without issue.  However, there is no visible way for that employee to clock out after clocking in.  The 3 horizontal bars (option menu) does not have a clock out option per instuctions above.  The employee can log out without issue however they remain clocked in as expected.

Message 54 of 70
Alumni

Oh no! Our Support team would be able to look into this for you if you reach out directly 

This is one of those situations that our phone team would be able to resolve quickly, with direct access to your Square account.
They can take a look at settings with you, and help you troubleshoot the issue live, @sotexbbqco 🐖 

When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Valentina
Message 55 of 70
Beta Member

Thank you, I think someone must have fixed my account.  The app was updated and I can now clock in from app.  Thanks!

Message 56 of 70

Hi, I'm new to square and started using square for retail, the app is a teal color. Am I able to toggle for employees to clock in/out on this app? I don't see many options in settings on this app like I do in the original square app. We started with employees clocking in/out on their phone but we have had many "I forgot to clock in/out and I forgot what time I left but I forgot to clock out" responses. So I am going to ask they clock in and out when they arrive and leave the store instead. Thank you! 

Message 57 of 70

Hi Square Team,

I'm having trouble understanding the clock in/out setup. We have the Appointments app setup on our iPad for our POS, it is the only Square app we use. The manager has a login that is used for the Appointments app, because she has set permissions to restrict certain data from being accessed in the POS. We just hired an hourly employee, so this is the first time trying to use the Shifts feature to clock in/out to track her hours. We have Passcodes and Time Tracking enabled, and we do see the little clock at the bottom right to clock in, but whenever we hit that button to try to clock in the hourly employee it doesn't give the passcode keypad to allow them to enter in their code to clock in. It will only just state "clock in" and will log the clock in under the manager (who is not hourly so does not have hour tracking and does not use this feature). How do we change the clock in section to allow other people beyond the POS user to enter in their codes and clock in? 

Message 58 of 70

Hey there, @BohoHouseHair

Have you looked through this Support Article with more information on how team members will clock in and out? 

Does your Manager have a passcode too? If they Manager is logged in on their account, there wouldn't be a passcode prompt since they are already logged into their account. 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Message 59 of 70

Hi Kassi,

The manager does have a passcode too, but doesn't use it since she's not hourly. She is "permanently" logged into the POS (we don't log in and out of it, just have had the same account logged in from day 1), so there's no switching users around, but the system doesn't allow anyone that isn't her to clock in their own personal time code? We've even tried clocking her in to see if it would then allow someone else to try to clock in afterwards, and it only gives a prompt to clock out without any passcodes required for any of the clocking in/out, and only allows it to occur under her as the personnel. I don't see a way to allow other employees to clock in or out via POS? 

Message 60 of 70

Thank you for confirming, @BohoHouseHair

So for each employee to be able to clock in or out with their passcode, they would have to be logged into their own account on the app. Being logged in on the managers account will only let the manager clock in or out and I know you mentioned they are't an hourly employee. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kassi
Message 61 of 70

Hi Kassi,

I'm not understanding how this is practical, though it may just be because of our setup. There is a single POS system in our store, but no one singular dedicated checkout person. Up to 6 different employees will use the POS to check out customers randomly throughout the day. It isn't practical for us to have separate accounts/logins for each employee to constantly log in and out of the app whenever someone needs to us it (whether for checking out or for clocking in). So how can we have a standalone single "user" (just general access to the app) that is logged in 24/7 that all employees can then utilize for their own functionality (clocking in etc)?

Message 62 of 70

Hey there, @BohoHouseHair

I completely understand your frustration on how this works and inconvenient it makes checking out your customers. Being able to clock in and out is only available when the employee is signed in. Having one account where everyone can clock in or out would be a Feature Request. 

You can post this on the Ideate Board as such for our Product Team. I would mention as much business insight as you can to give them exactly what you're looking for and the pain points you're experiencing with the current set up0. 

Our Product Team will review and see about adding it to the roadmap in the future. If you know of any other sellers that would benefit from the same feature, please give them a tag in your post. 

Kassi
Message 63 of 70