x

How can I add a gift card to an invoice?

I purchased gift cards to use and mail to people who purchase one. I do payment through invoices and rarely do sales using my phone/card reader. I've figured out how to activate a gift card with doing an in person sale but I'm having trouble figuring out how to apply a gift card to an invoice. I'm hoping there's a way because I have a lot of out of state customers who would like the option to use a gift card and receive it with their order in the mail.

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, 

At this time, you can’t use a Square Seller's gift card to pay a Square Invoice.

This is a pretty popular request, and we’re working to improve invoices based on feedback from our customers, so I’ll be sharing this request with our product team.

As a workaround, you can apply the balance of the gift card to the outstanding invoice by applying a discount, or by resending a new invoice to your customer all together. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

How to I use my clients gift card to record payment on their invoice?

This should be easy!!!! Why isn't it?

Message 22 of 30

Hi @moveabilities!

It looks like this same question has been asking in the Community already so I moved your post to the thread with the information for ya. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 30

I find it annoying after 4 years this feature still has not been added. I have a similar situation. My members purchase a membership and get a gift card. I cant add this to their invoice and instead have to seperatley do it through POS.

Seriously Square add this as a feature.

Message 24 of 30

Oh Boy, so many had no idea how to answer your question... I guess they can't read too?! I want to do the same. (following statements are sarcastic) I have gift cards here with me that I purchased the gift cards for the customers that walk in the door to buy a gift card to fill for a gift.... duh. Now if a customer is out of town and wants to purchase a gift card from me to have me mail it to them or a loved one, I cannot see a way to invoice any good paying customers that want to use my business as a way to show they love someone, there seems to be no way for them to purchase the gift card from me. Oh, I know they can give me a card number over the phone and I can key it in, but that is extremely unsecure. 

Message 25 of 30

The way Square handles gift cards so inadequately still after so many years of requests and complaints is incredible.

Message 26 of 30
Beta Member

Hey there was just looking into this as we have had a customer ask us to invoice them for a physical gift card and postage, to send out a physical plastic gift card to give as a gift, I loaded the card and went to payment section, then more payment options there is a choice for invoice that is greyed out and un selectable? Is there no way this could be turned on as a payment method? then we could invoice for the physical plastic gift cards + P&P then send them out once invoice is paid? I feel this would be of benefit to Square customers and to Square company itself, unless I am missing something here? As not all customers like paying with card over the phone and feel the invoicing feature here would put customers mind at ease for security and make square uses look even more professional again setting the square point of sale system unique against other equivalents. Please can someone look into this for us all!

Message 27 of 30

Hey there, @REB3LSTUDIOS - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

When issuing a Square Gift Card, the payment will need to be completed in order to add the equivalent amount onto the card. If you were to issue a Gift Card before securing the payment for the balance being added to the card, you would essentially be issuing a "free" credit to your business until you receive the payment from your customer.

Perhaps Square's eGift Cards would be a better option for you and your customers. Your customers will be able to purchase eGift Cards (or "Digital" Gift Cards) through a web link, which can be posted on your website or sent to your customers via email. Additionally, you can sell eGift cards from your Point of Sale as well. You can see how it works in the short video on this page.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions 🙂

Violet
Message 28 of 30
Beta Member

Customers want a physical card they can hold in their hands and give as a gift. We are all aware of eGift Cards but the is not a workaround when people want a PHYSICAL CARD. When invoicing a customer for a physical gift card, we are not releasing the gift card or mailing it out until the invoice is paid. So it is not "essentially be issuing a "free" credit to your business until you receive the payment from your customer" as you stated. 

It's a sale. For a good. And the goods are not released until the invoice is paid. Make sense?

We need a solution. 

People want physical gift cards mailed to them or to their loved ones. I can't/won't take their payment over the phone. Why can't I send them an Invoice or a payment link so they can pay without being present?

Please stop recommending eGift Cards as a workaround for a physical gift card, it's not. 

Message 29 of 30

Thank you for sharing your use case here @jmbrown07   If you haven't done so yet, I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 30 of 30