x

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

I give my staff a discount on products but I do not want to allow a discount on travel size items.  Is there a way to mark them so they can not be discounted?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: How do I restrict all discounts on purchases of alcohol?

It sounds like you would like the ability to restrict specific items from discounts, @burrito 🌯 
While this is not currently possible, you are able to select the categories and items that discounts apply to.

1. I would first recommend creating a category from your Dashboard to house all of your alcoholic beverages in.

2. Next, you'll create or edit a discount via your Discounts page.
    While here, toggle ON the Discount rules option in the Automatic discount section:

3. You'll want to select the Item or category option in the pop-up that appears here:

4. Next, you can select all categories that you would like the discount to apply to.
    Be sure not to select the category you created for your alcoholic beverages!

Please let us know if this isn't quite what you were looking to do, and we can dig in a bit more 

Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Hi @salon208 — welcome to the seller community! ✌🏻

Thanks for surfacing this. Currently, we don't offer the option to restrict discounts on specific items, though I can see how this feature would be helpful for many businesses like yours.

I'll be sharing your suggestion with our Product Liaison team, who is constantly working to improve our products based on seller feedback. We'll certainly circle back with any other developments that may be useful.

Please keep in touch for updates and if you have any other questions, let us know!

189 Comments
Beta Member

I don't understand why this is marked 'Solved'??  The proposed solution is the OPPOSITE of what is being asked for.

We need to be able to restrict discounts to certain categories only. For example: we offer a discount on drinks only. We want to prevent cashiers from using on other categories such as food items, etc.

Beta Member

We need to be able to restrict discounts to certain categories only.

For example: we offer a discount on drinks only. We want to prevent cashiers from using on other categories such as food items, etc.

There is a similar thread marked as solved that is indeed NOT solved. 

Beta Member

Yes, this something Square should have implemented SOOOOO long ago. It doesn't matter how many times you tell your employees, they forget, and discount items that are not supposed to be discounted. 

It is very frustrating that Square has not made this possible yet.

Beta Member

It really is insane that we've been asking for five years to have the option to NOT allow discounts on certain items or categories. The options Square has suggested as workarounds are ludicrous. Being able to mark an item or category at NEVER discountable should be a basic function. 

The problem with the automatic discounts is that those automatic discounts are applied to every transaction that has those items. What my business needs is the ability to have discounts applied to certain items ONLY when the discount is applied to the transaction.

In other words, I may want certain items or categories to be discounted, but only for certain Discount codes - ie, during Teacher Appreciation Week, I want to have the discount ONLY apply to the items purchased by teachers, when an employee applies the "Teacher Appreciation Week" discount. As it currently stands, if I create the "Teacher Appreciation Week" discount with automatic discounts on selected items/categories, those discounts are automatically applied to each and EVERY transaction, regardless of whether or not the discount is selected. This defeats the purpose of "rewarding" or "thanking" certain groups with a discount, because the discount is given to everyone - and my business loses money.

Beta Member

Here's a related problem I discovered this week.  I had automatic discounts set up for employees, and was demonstrating the use of gift cards with a new trainee.  I purchased a $50 gift card for myself, and was automatically given our employee discount.  However, the full $50 was loaded on the gift card!  This is a definite problem and should be fixed immediately. 

Beta Member

I'd like to be able to not allow discounts on specific items.  How do I do that?

Square Community Moderator

@mrswingle1 Thanks for reaching out about this. This is still a feature request that we are tracking, at the moment. 

Hi,

I am new to square and also would like to request making items non discountable. From reading this thread it seems it is well past time to make the upgrade. I will process $6m with square and would hope this feature is coming sooner than later.

How can I exclude certain items from allowing a discount to be applied? We offer discounts on a range of products, but some we don't such as tobacco products. If I apply a 10% off and one of the dozen items the customer is purchasing is a pack of cigarettes, is there a way to make sure the discount is not applied to that.