x

How do I add employees to Payroll if they are under 18 years old?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: paying employees

How do I add a couple of employees to the payroll if they are only 17 years old? Currently it will not let me.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Sorry for the confusion @Tmcfarr. You can add employees who are under 18 to Payroll, but they can't have their own online Payroll account. It sounds like you might be choosing that option? 

To add these employees to your Payroll Dashboard choose physical pay stubs as the Payment Method and don't provide them with an online account. Then follow the steps to enter their withholding and personal info and your employee will be set up!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Best Answer

Sorry for the confusion @Tmcfarr. You can add employees who are under 18 to Payroll, but they can't have their own online Payroll account. It sounds like you might be choosing that option? 

To add these employees to your Payroll Dashboard choose physical pay stubs as the Payment Method and don't provide them with an online account. Then follow the steps to enter their withholding and personal info and your employee will be set up!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 8

If the employee does not have their own on line account, can they still use the Square Team to clock in and out?

Message 3 of 8
Alumni

Yes, you'll need to set them up as a Team Member so they can sign into the Team app with their own credentials. More on how to setup here

@Bodacious

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8

So a minor can no longer get direct deposited checks?  A majority of our hires are high school kids.  I'm not sure why it all of a sudden changed so that they can't fill out their own information.  It doesn't make sense for me to be filling out their tax info for them.

Message 5 of 8
Beta Member

I completely agree. Employers should not be responsible for entering employee tax and banking information. That just feels like a setup for issues - and possibly even lawsuits when the parents get involved - if we are provided with the incorrect information from the employee or even make a typo. Additionally, employees - regardless of age - should have online access to their pay check stubs and the ability to update their personal information. Printing out this information or having to log in under our own account every time they want to make a change or see their hours is a hassle. Plus, it does not allow for accurate record-keeping. From what Square can see, the employer is making all of the changes to the employee's information, so if something were to happen, we wouldn't be covered at all.

Message 6 of 8

I'm having a similar challenge. I don't see "physical pay stubs" but I don't see Manual Check" vs Direct Deposit.

Message 7 of 8

sorry, auto-correct, I do see Manual Check vs Direct Deposit.

Message 8 of 8