x

How do I enter a customers name on receipt?

Hi All,

When sending receipts for cash payments, there seems to be no option for putting the customer name on the receipt.

Am I missing something, or is this a feature I need to request.

Message 1 of 44
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @claynotmud, great question.

You can add your customer to a cash sale directly from the Point of Sale app by doing the following:

1. After completing the sale, you'll be on the receipts screen
  2. Tap the customer icon in the upper-part of the screen.
  3. Enter your customer’s information.
  4. Tap Save.

Note: their name won't appear on the emailed or texted receipt, but you will see it associated with the payment in your Transactions report and Customer Directory.

Hope this helps! If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

I totally agree with you. This isn't something they can't do it's just they don't listen or read the question properly. It's an ongoing question and same thing asked by everyone and their response is to put customer name in a note. I can't do this way if am selling customer a part I can put his or her name under the part. That note is more for me to give part description.

Message 22 of 44
Beta Member

Yea customer name in a note does nothing to help any of us. Useless advice and ignorance on their part for not actually reading our questions and concerns. I don't know about you, but I've never been concerned about how 'sensitive' it is to have my name on a receipt... there is no credit card number displayed or anything, so why does it matter? My number is in the phone book, it's on my receipt when I leave the dentist, on my mail coming to my home... makes no sense for them to not include this feature due to 'sensitivity' of the data on the receipt.

Message 23 of 44

Exactly you are like. Like you are buying stuff from a grocery store I have always seen cashier name on receipt or who served me. 

So it's just an excuse by square to just keep pushing the things till everyone frustrates and leaves their platform at the end.

Message 24 of 44
Beta Member

The grocery store clerk name on the receipt is a great example! It's just a lazy excuse from square. Now watch, because we criticized the square platform -- albeit constructively -- our comments will eventually be deleted and still nothing will get done about this issue.

Message 25 of 44

For sure it will be deleted. They should make all the features available and more options to redesign receipt and almost nothing you can do any modifications. 

I have been personally using Loyverse to print out receipts as it's been a while square doesn't want to listen and do the needed changes.

Message 26 of 44

Any update please on it, need the name on receipt for tracking purpose.

Hopefully this update can be done soon.

Thanks

Message 27 of 44
Beta Member

Wasting your time, unfortunately. All the square agents do is merge similar requests into this thread and ignore what all of us are requesting, replying with irrelevant information that doesn't address our actual concerns. I've contacted their app development team via the email in the app store for square appointments several times with this and other ideas and get the same generic "we will let the team know" response and nothing ever happens with it. Likely never will.

Message 28 of 44
Beta Member

I'm going to keep bumping this. This is a must add feature for us and it seems like many others need this even more than we do. Square please listen to your customers and make this happen!

Message 29 of 44
Beta Member

As much as I think that is the right approach, I really don't think it's going to make their team actually do anything about it.

Their response to all of us is to merge us all into this single thread that is marked "SOLVED" even though it IS NOT solved, and they put their own response to the original question as the defacto "Best Answer" even though it didn't get voted up and definitely didn't properly answer the issues being brought up in this thread...

Message 30 of 44

Best way to have them listen to the needed option.

Message 31 of 44
Beta Member

So I'm not sure how this happened yet, but on a receipt I just printed it includes the customer's name. My best guess so far is that it may have been a saved cart that turned into a completed sale. I'm gonna have to investigate further but just wanted to update y'all that it is possible!

IMG_4760.jpg

Message 32 of 44

I will give a try today and see if I can get it to work anyway.

Thanks

Message 33 of 44
Beta Member

That's good you figured out a way for printing, however I only issue electronic receipts and there isn't a way for me that way. It should be as easy as at checkout to just check a box to include customer name instead of all the additional steps.

Message 34 of 44

So I tried the way you said and it worked for me as well.

Only way to do is that once you add up all the items and about to charge customer, save that ticket/order first and give it a name. After that open that same ticket you just saved and then charge the customer the way they prefer. Then print out the ticket, any name you assign to ticket will be printed on your receipt.

Message 35 of 44
Beta Member

It should be as easy as at checkout to just check a box to include customer name instead of all the additional steps. Glad you found a temporary workaround for your needs. Still doesn't fix mine unfortunately.

Message 36 of 44

True. It should be simple enough to select a check box or turn on a function from settings. Did you tried saving ticket and then printing it afterwards?

Message 37 of 44
Beta Member

No, I don't print receipts, I offer a service, so I have a schedule where people book a service and then at checkout I just issue a receipt via email. I don't think your method would work for my business type or with issuing electronic receipts.

Message 38 of 44

Yes don't think it will work for you. Definitely need an option to have customer name selection.

Message 39 of 44
Beta Member

Yeah I agree. There definitely needs to be an option to add customer name, phone number, and email to the any receipt without this workaround. I don't understand why they won't add this for us. I think the receipts for Square for Retail may be the worst part of whole system. There are several other problems with receipts that make no sense at all and need to be addressed. How does a $60 billion company let dumb stuff like this haunt their customers for years?

Message 40 of 44
Beta Member

I've messaged them numerous times about a simple option to include a name on a receipt when checking out, as well as the ability to customize receipts (digital preferably) to your liking, including removing the stupid happy/sad face rating system they include automatically. It seems there are more workarounds for printed receipts but for someone like me who only issues digital, there is almost no customization. Sad, really.

Message 41 of 44
Beta Member

I figured out a way. You have to do it with an invoice. 
create an invoice, add your customer Send the invoice to the customer. This will save the invoice as an unpaid invoice. Click the unpaid invoice and click add payment. Select remaining amount. Than connect reader and tap their card. This will send them a “paid” invoice with their name and any info connected to their invoice via email or text. 

I created a custom invoice. Under the custom text box you can fill in your business details for registered massage etc here. 

BB8CA0AB-CC3C-4C53-80F6-07E621EDEA36.jpeg

Message 42 of 44