x

How do I let customers add a note to an item, or add a note to their Square Online order itself?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: New Square Online Store: How do I add a note to each online order product?

I need my customers to be able to add a name to each product ordered through the online store. 

I own a soda shop, and want them to be able to order ahead, but be able to add a name to each drink they order.  possible?

Message 1 of 136
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @MixtapeBushwick-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community!

Within the Square Online Store, in Shared Settings > Checkout > Checkout Experience, click on the Edit customer inputs button. From there, check the option to Allow customer to leave a note to seller:

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 9.33.20 AM.png

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any additional questions about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 36 of 136
135 REPLIES 135

The Allow customer to leave a note to seller not working for me, I enabled it but there is no any text box showing during the check out process!

Message 43 of 136
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Wisam 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Community! So sorry for the trouble.

I flagged your issue over to our ECOM team, but they are having a hard time determining where the issue lays without getting eyes on your site setup. Would you mind reaching out to us when you get a chance? Our Support Team will take a deep dive with you.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 44 of 136

I am having this same issue. Notes are enabled on my end but the customers are still not seeing a place to leave notes

Message 45 of 136
Alumni

@mahalo - our CS Team will need to take a look at your account specifically to pinpoint why your customers aren't seeing the notes section at checkout. Give them a holler here

Justin
Message 46 of 136

Is it possible to change the description that asks the customers to enter specific information in the note?

Thanks!

Message 47 of 136
Alumni

I'm afraid not. I'm not aware of a setting like that. @luffykocp 

Perhaps you can use text modifiers to your items to request specific info. 

@luffykocp

Justin
Message 48 of 136

I tried what you suggested above but I don't see advanced settings anywhere. I have looked until my eyes are bloodshot trying to get a comment section and the directions look easy enough but is there a certain type of square account or website account that I need to have this option? 

Thanks,

Serenity01

Message 49 of 136
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for reaching out, @Serenity01 and Welcome to the Community 🎉

From the Square dashboard, first click on the link that says Online. On the next dashboard you will click Settings > Checkout > Advanced Settings. If you scroll down a bit you will see a section called Checkout Options. 

Hope this helps!

Message 50 of 136
Beta Member

As of 2/6/22, Online Store, in SettingsCheckout/ Advanced settings/ Under Checkout options, there is no longer any options as you mention above; Allow Customer to leave a note to seller.

Only options are:

ritzput_0-1644204515023.png

Message 51 of 136
Beta Member

As of 2/6/22, Square Online Store- actually not online but in Square Dashboard/ SettingsCheckout, Advanced settings/ it now looks like this:

ritzput_0-1644208466697.png

Message 52 of 136
Beta Member

First off, Square comments need to be more semantic friendly!!!  There is a video about creating & adding discounts with incorrect verbiage.  First directions say “Create and edit discounts from your online Square Dashboard “- It is actually on Square Dashboard NOT Online Square Dashboard!!  That in itself is so confusing.  Some things you can do on Dashboard, and others can only do ONLINE Square Dashboard or they don't sync!

I own a flower shop and when my customers order online, there is no place for them to add "card message", "Delivery date", "Delivery Recipient name & Address", or any disclaimers.  I had to add all these fields myself.

Only way I found is to leave a modifier where customer can fill in at checkout.  

Please understand that adding a "Modifier Set" on Square Dashboard ONLY, is for adding things for customers to “click on” at checkout, NOT fill in any info. Example: if I want to add "bow" as a modifier where customer can click at checkout to add to their arrangement, I can add that as a "modifier set" and there's the ability to "select all" to add to all items.

Modifier Set:

Only good for adding an item you want customer to click on:

Dashboard (NOT Online)/ items/ modifiers/ create modifier set/ type in new name of your modifier/ click on “new modifier box” and type in new modifier name/ save.  Then on right, click on “Apply to Items”/ click on “select all” top right/ click on apply to items/ green bar shows as saved.

However, to allow field where customer can leave a "note" like "Deliver To" (name, address, phone), the only way is convoluted at best:

Add Modifier customer fill-in:

Online Dashboard/ Items/ click on any item/ scroll down to modifiers/ click manage modifiers/ click create new/ click on Right- “Typing text into text box/ text box label appears/ type in name of new modifier/ save

Re-arrange order of modifiers@ checkout:

Online dashboard/click on each item/ scroll down to modifiers/ click on new modifier box/ done then move new modifier where you want it to appear at checkout/ click on save.

Message 53 of 136

@isabelle wrote:

Hey @MixtapeBushwick-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community!

Within the Square Online Store, in Shared Settings > Checkout > Checkout Experience, click on the Edit customer inputs button. From there, check the option to Allow customer to leave a note to seller:

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 9.33.20 AM.png

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any additional questions about this. 

I tried it this way and it won't save when I click the box😥

Message 54 of 136

I need a " dedicated to" line where customer can fill in who they would like the book dedicated to.  

Message 55 of 136
Beta Member

Hi Abmelim,

Check out this previous Post - someone had a similar question - at least worth a look.

Message 56 of 136
Beta Member

Hi, I know I can add a notes field to each item but is there a way to add it on the checkout page? Right now I'm having customers call me when they arrive to tell me which order and what car they're in. If I can have them enter this in a field it'll eliminate most of the calls and make it easier for everyone.

Message 57 of 136
Alumni

Hey there @schemjo - Hopefully this thread I moved you to helps

Justin
Message 58 of 136

It seems obvious that there should be place for a customer to enter special instructions for there order such as allergy info, or how they would like their burger cooked. without having to add modifiers for every possibility...is there some way to allow this that I am missing?

Message 59 of 136
Alumni

@cafeeighteen

Isabelle can help you with this one. I merged your post so you can see instructions on how to enable custom notes for online orders

Justin
Message 60 of 136

We sell items that can be customized. How can I add a field to my online store so our customers can add their details i.e. name, jersey number, etc.?

Message 61 of 136
Alumni

Here's the thread you're looking for.Check out Isabelle's post up top.  @MixMasterNorm

Justin
Message 62 of 136
Alumni

Actually, a better solution for you might be text box modifiers which allows customers to enter custom notes specific to an item. Check out the middle of this article

@MixMasterNorm

Justin
Message 63 of 136