x

How do I let customers add a note to an item, or add a note to their Square Online order itself?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: New Square Online Store: How do I add a note to each online order product?

I need my customers to be able to add a name to each product ordered through the online store. 

I own a soda shop, and want them to be able to order ahead, but be able to add a name to each drink they order.  possible?

Message 1 of 136
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @MixtapeBushwick-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community!

Within the Square Online Store, in Shared Settings > Checkout > Checkout Experience, click on the Edit customer inputs button. From there, check the option to Allow customer to leave a note to seller:

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 9.33.20 AM.png

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any additional questions about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 36 of 136
135 REPLIES 135
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @luffykocp - thanks for reaching out again here on the Community! Great question, here.

Adding the text modifier to the checkout process would currently be considered a Feature Request. Our intention with the modifier process as of now is to specifically give customers he ability to customize a specific item rather than the entire order itself. Although, I definitely see how editing multiple modifiers for each item would become cumbersome.

I am tagging our Online Store product teams here for visibility. Hopefully we can have some updates down the road that will offer some flexibility here.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 136

Thank you @Joe for being so efficient. One more question, if it possible to add text modifier to the shopping cart for now? Or is it possible to adjust the blank to be filled instead of adding the text modifier? Just try to figure out resolutions other than the one provided. Thank you!

Message 23 of 136

Unfortunately, this would be the only workaround we would have to offer at the moment @luffykocp. We hope to be able to bounce back here soon with some positive updates to this feature for you.

Stay tuned!

Joe
Message 24 of 136

I see. Thanks @Joe for the effort!

Message 25 of 136
Beta Member

Is it possible to have a modifier applied to each checkout? The checkouts may have different items in them but would need to specify a value regardless of what's in their cart, and I want them to only have to specify it once, not for every item they're purchasing. 

This is an idea for a location workaround since there is STILL no way to sync inventory across locations. We essentially have 4-5 regular drop sites where orders go on different days of the week. In lieu of being able to manage inventory across all 'locations' I've been asking customers to write their pickup location in note to seller and writing EVERYWHERE that they should ignore the pickup times listed by square since each location is different. It's cumbersome and inefficient at best. At worst it confuses customers and they show up on the wrong day, or don't write a location and I miss it and wind up sending it to the wrong place. 

If the inventory sync is too much for your developers (looks like the requests fo it date back to 2018 at least, so either it's not a priority or it's a bigger fish than they're willing to fry,) it would be great to allow a workaround with essentially a 'checkout modifier' aka a very simple question field, a drop down menu would be ideal, that can be set as required. And please let me turn off the hours/order time ready functionality since it's useless. 

Message 26 of 136
Admin

Hi @cwilliams112. 👋

Instead of using text modifiers on items, you could turn on the note-to-seller field for your checkout. This is not a required field, but it's the only way right now to add a field to checkout where customers can input text. You can turn this on in Settings > Checkout > Advanced settings on your Square Online overview page.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 27 of 136

There is no option to manage modifiers, only create a modifier set and adding a text box is not an option! I need more current directions.

Message 28 of 136

Hello there @shirtmaven 

I apologize for the confusion. Manage Modifiers can be found when editing an Item from the Square Online Dashboard which isn't the same as the Square Item Library. 

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 29 of 136

Helen do you know if this option still available? 
-Create modifier set

but there’s no option as list or create text 

Message 30 of 136

Hi there, @BCH,

It is still an option to either "Select from a list" or "Type into a textbox" for modifiers. Are you able to send me a screenshot of what you are seeing so we can take a closer look? 

Ellie
Message 31 of 136

Thank you so much, after so much searching I figure out the modifiers need to be edited “online” and not in the items section. 

Message 32 of 136

My create modifier box doesn't look like this. 😞

Message 33 of 136

No, none of these work. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Message 34 of 136
Beta Member

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: How to let customers leave notes for their items when ordering online?]

Trying to set up an online store for our coffee shop to get through this, but can't figure out how to let people leave notes to customize their drinks when ordering.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Message 35 of 136
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @MixtapeBushwick-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community!

Within the Square Online Store, in Shared Settings > Checkout > Checkout Experience, click on the Edit customer inputs button. From there, check the option to Allow customer to leave a note to seller:

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 9.33.20 AM.png

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any additional questions about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 36 of 136
Beta Member

Isabelle,

Thanks for the answer, but it wasn't what I was looking for. My original question was how can I let customers leave notes for each item on the order, not for the whole order.

But I found the solution, in case somebody needed to know. All you have to do is create a modifier and choose the "type in text" option instead of list. 

Message 37 of 136

Hi there, @MixtapeBushwick - thanks for reaching out again. Sorry to hear that our suggested solution missed the mark. Yet, I am relieved to see that you got this one solved! We appreciate you leaving the workaround for others to benefit off of your knowledge.

Let us know if anything else comes up! We are here to help.

Joe
Message 38 of 136

Hi there, I was looking for the option to use a text input for a modifier (like this page explains https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6869-item-modifiers-in-square-online-store) but I seem to only be able to create an option list. Is the text input format still available?

Thanks

Message 39 of 136
Alumni

Yes, text modifiers are still available with the Online Store. Are you running into an error when setting up? If so, can you provide a screenshot with more details explaining your trouble? 

@CoralSoul

Justin
Message 40 of 136

Thanks, @JustinC, I found it there under the Online Store. I was originally looking at the Modifiers under the Items dashboard.

Message 41 of 136

Hi! I am running a personalized business and I need customers to leave me a note for their personalized item. I can create a new modifier but does not leave me the option of them to create the note. Please help as I cannot personalize their items without that box of instructions.

Message 42 of 136