x
Highlighted

Re: How much data needed for Square?

My question pertains to ‘Speed’.

AT&T throttles down transfer rates to 128Kbps after 1 GB usage on my Unlimitee Plan.   Do you think that will have an effect on a transaction or is that (slow) speed sufficient ? Thank you.

Message 11 of 21
Highlighted
Super Seller

speed throttling won't matter as it is still minute bits of data that will be there in milliseconds.  you could have 50 connections at the same time and still be fine.

unrelated, what kind of plan are you on that is "unlimited" and caps at 1 GB and throttles you to 128Kbps?  we also have att and at 16GB per line they can theoretically slow you if the tower is overloaded, but we've never seen a hit and we use 200GB plus on our plan a month.  they have a 16GB plan for $40 a month.

Message 12 of 21
Highlighted

The square registers automatically update.  They are often updating 2-4 times per month.  Each register uses 700 mB per update.  They are using enough data to consume an 4 GB data month,

Message 13 of 21
Highlighted
Admin

Hi @MichiganFarmsta

Edit: I just realized you're referring to the new Square Register. Sorry for my confusion there. We regularly make these updates to keep performance and stability in tip-top shape for everyone, and there isn't a way currently to turn auto-updates with Square Register. 

This is good feedback to send over to our Register team, so I'll pass it along. Hopefully we can figure something out to help with this. 

Message 14 of 21
Highlighted

The square register must be updating and using all my data, on my plan, is there a way to update manually or schedule these updates. There is no warning whatsoever. I have an unlimited plan, but if I ever leave, I have a limited data plan, that I turn on.. it works great until one of these updates comes along and eats all the data, and then we can’t process any credit cards or end the drawer online.. and offline is way to risky....

Message 15 of 21
Highlighted
Admin

Hi @kkvnm1! How do you have your Square Register set up? Are you using a hot spot for WiFi? The only reason I ask is because the Square Register doesn't use data to run and process transactions. It runs off of WiFi or can be hard wired to ethernet, so it shouldn't be using data unless you're using a hot spot.

Let me know!

Nika_S
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 21
Highlighted

Well, since there is no internet service available here, except for cellular. The only option is to use my phone for internet access. The real question is, is why don’t I have control of when these updates run? Seems like it would be easy to schedule these updates?

Message 17 of 21
Highlighted
Admin

@kkvnm1 Since the Register uses our own software, we do run automatic updates. You can take a look at that article to see when exactly those updates occur. 

Nika_S
Message 18 of 21
Highlighted

how many GB is recommended to run the square if taking pics to advertise and videos

I am looking at getting an ipad to use with the stand however I am not sure which one is best to go with..the Ipad pro, 6th generation or 7th?  Any suggestions as to which is best and why?  We will be using it with the stand to cash out customers, take photos of items we sell to post on line, and occassionally videos. Also which would you suggest 32 GB, 64GB or 128GB???

Message 19 of 21
Highlighted
Admin

Re: how many GB is recommended to run the square if taking pics to advertise and videos

Hi @mfairbanks24! Check out Sean's answer above. 🙂

Nika_S
Message 20 of 21