x

How to delete multiple items?

We created over a period of time too many items which we don't use anymore. Is there a way to clean it up massively instead of one by one?

Message 1 of 75
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

While we don't have a "bulk delete" button, I have a work around that may work! You'll just need to update the items CSV from your Dashboard by exporting it, making your changes then importing the updated CSV back into your Dashboard. Here’s how:

First Export:

1. Sign in to your dashboard and click Items.
  2. Click ActionsImport/Export at the top-right of the page> Export Items

Make the necessary edits to you item library by delete the item rows that you do not need.

Import Updated CSV:

1. Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Import Items at the top right of dashboard.
  3. Select Replace Item Library and click Next.
  4. Drag and drop your updated .CSV template file into your Dashboard.
  5. Click Upload.
  6. Review your changes and click Confirm Import.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 75
74 REPLIES 74

Hello @bkb2018, have you tried deleting the items in a CSV and then re-uploading it to your item library? 

The CSV file will allow you to easily delete a number of items, because all you need to do is delete the rows! 😊

Message 22 of 75

Can you attach a sample of a CVS file to delete items? Thanks!

Message 23 of 75
Admin

@bkb2018 I'm afraid we can't attach files to posts in the Community! You should be able to export the CSV file from your online Square Dashboard.

If you're having trouble I see that @The100thSheep shared some great tips in their post but if you need additional help please call our CS team directly.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 24 of 75

I wont even give an option of deleting 

Message 25 of 75
Square Community Moderator

Hi @CAdesignco 👋

This is an older thread, and I noticed Sellers are asking to delete items from various locations. Are you trying to delete items from the Square dashboard, or from your Square Online site? Or are you using a third party commerce option like Etsy or Woo Commerce? 

Can you post a screenshot of the screen you are viewing when you say "it won't give an option of deleting"? Thanks in advance! 

I'll be on the lookout for your reply. 😊

Message 26 of 75

The problem with this solution is that you then would need to manually add all the fields and images that aren't defined in the import.

Message 27 of 75

It is ridiculous that this wasn't thought of during design time. Its a very basic feature and very easy to implement. The fact you have to post a "workaround" instead of just implementing the feature that apparently a lot of users would in fact use speaks volumes.
Message 28 of 75

I completely agree with this. SO much frustration for no reason, this thread was started in 2016. How is it 2021 and Square users still can't batch edit/delete inventory.

Message 29 of 75

Do not use the CSV option on export. Use the XLSX option.
Delete everything except 1 line. Save. If you use Open Office Libre etc. Save as .csv. Then import.
Took me a few times of trial and error to figure this out.

Message 30 of 75

SQUARE Instead of offering this mega complicated workaround that doesn't work for the people who have responded to this, including me, please make a batch item editing option available to your customers 😕 It seems like a straightforward feature to include in a POS inventory system.

Message 31 of 75
Beta Member

Before I attempt this, I just want to confirm that this is the best and only way to delete 200 of 5000 items in my library.  If I use the "replace" method to delete those 200 items, how will that affect my other 4800 items that I wish to keep?  Won't this delete the photos and report statistics for my other 4800 items?

Message 32 of 75

Hey there, @SoapStop -

Welcome back to the Community. 

There is actually an easier way to go about doing a bulk delete of those items in your Item Library. Check out the Best Answer by Goldeneye in this thread

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 33 of 75
Beta Member

Unfortunately that doesn’t solve my problem.  I’m not using SquareOnline.  I’m trying to bulk delete from my main library via the Square dashboard, not from the online Square store which I don’t use.  The dashboard doesn’t give me the same option as that which Goldeneye suggests unless I’m missing something.  Thanks!

Message 34 of 75

Hi @SoapStop You will want to use the Best Answer suggestion. Using the replace option will only remove the deleted lines you have removed from the edited csv file. 

Message 35 of 75

I did this exactly as stated. I replaced the items essentially with a blank CSV and it did not work. I have hundreds of items I want to delete. Square needs to make it easier to bulk delete items. 

Message 36 of 75
Beta Member

Having worked with other POS systems, might I make a suggestion for Square.

On the bulk export spreadsheet, include a "Delete Item" column.

Then users can input either a Y or a N to denote if the items requires deletion. Then upload the spreadsheet and Square would recognise that item as requiring deletion,

Also, the ability to archive products with a "Archive Item" / Y or N would be handy as an interim step to full deletion if required.

Message 37 of 75

This seems so tricky because it risks corrupting our whole inventory. WHY doesn't Square provide bulk delete checkboxes in the main Item dashboard like you do in the Online Store??? 

Message 38 of 75

@Kelly 

If I wanted to replace all the items in an entire category (but not other categories), here is the process I'm planning:

1. I would download the catalog,
  2. I would delete all the items I no longer want 
  3. I would enter all the new items in that category
  4. I want to add quantity, do I will enter that in New Quantity Rue Cler (not Current Quantity Rue Cler)
    I do not want to change any other category , so I will leave them the same 
  5. I will also fill in the other fields (e.g. Price, Tax, etc.)
  6. I would import that catalog using "replace"

That would net me all the items I want to keep along with my entire category replaced. I'm assuming that the new items in my category will automatically get assigned a token, is that correct?

How does this process sound?

Message 39 of 75

How do I delete all the items in my inventory? 

Message 40 of 75
Square

@tfsingleton - You can just follow Kelly's instructions here. If you import a blank .CSV and chose the replace option, it will clean out your entire inventory. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 41 of 75

That isn't working. I tried that first, and I got an error - "row without item name". I then downloaded the inventory list, deleted only a few rows and left others in there, and got the same error. Kelly's instructions do not work.

Message 42 of 75