x
Beta Member

Is the customer display on the Square Register anti-glare?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Square Register Question]

hello, I have a few questions about the Square Register with the customer display, I own a Food Truck and Right now I am using a Samsung Tab S5e and I currently have a USB cash drawer, Kitchen Printer and a Touch Screen Monitor plugged into a USB extension and everything works fine but the problem is no one can see the monitor in the sunlight as its not for outdoor use and cause a problem for the customer. With this Square Register will the customer display be bright enough for the customer to see in the sun ? Also will my USB Cash Drawer and Kitchen Printer work with this ?

Thanks All 

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @RealDealGrill - Justin here 🙂

The screen is not anti glare but you can adjust brightness in the device settings to accommodate the sunlight.

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Alumni

Hi @RealDealGrill,

Let me look into the material used to construct the display, and I'll be back as soon as I have an update.

Also, what model USB Cash Drawer and Kitchen Printer do you own?

Please let me know by replying in this thread. I'll keep an eye out for your response.

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 10
Beta Member

@Alex_ 

Hello, Thanks for the Reply, was you able to find if the screen is readable in the sunlight, also I am using a Star Sp7000 for my Kitchen Printer, and APG VB554A-BL1616 Cash Drawer. Thanks for the help 

Message 3 of 10
Alumni

Hi @RealDealGrill,

Thanks for popping back in. I'm still waiting on a response regarding the anti-glare, investigations have been a bit slower with the current pandemic and accessing devices to test. I've gone ahead and resurfaced this request and should be back soon. 

Also, in regard to your current hardware and according to our hardware compatibility page, the Cash Drawer should be compatible with the Square Register. At the moment, I'm not seeing the printer you have on our list of supported devices. Where did you purchase it?

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

Hi @Alex_ 

No problem, I really hope its anti glare as this would be perfect for the truck, as for the printer it's a star micronics SP742MU SP700, bought from staples and is currently working fine 

Message 5 of 10
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @RealDealGrill - Justin here 🙂

The screen is not anti glare but you can adjust brightness in the device settings to accommodate the sunlight.

Justin
Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

Hi @JustinC 

So will it be seeable in the sunlight with the brightness all the way up, I have a touch screen that's rated at 300 cd/m2 do you know what the rating is on this, the 300 cd/m2 you could not even see anything on it until it was almost dark, just want to make sure if its going to be readable at all. Also if this don't work out can it be returned. Thanks so much for the help guys

Message 7 of 10
Alumni

No worries!

I don't have the Luminance measurement available off the top of my head but I can ask. 

Honestly, I haven't used the Register in direct sunlight to know if the Register displays well on the highest brightness setting, but I imagine it might be hard to see the screen. Plus finger prints and smudge marks might make the display worse.

I'll be back when the Product Team responds @RealDealGrill

Justin
Message 8 of 10

Hi Justin, Just wanted to let you know that we used the square system on our food truck and the sun glare is really bad on the customer display. We turned up the brightness, but no enough in our Colorado sun.  Looking for the "official" square glare screen. Found one set but it's both displays and we only need it for the customer display.  Thanks, Mary (14ers Wieners Food Truck)

Message 9 of 10
Alumni

@14erswieners - Hmm, I'm not seeing a Glare screen listed on our Shop page. 

Justin
Message 10 of 10