x

Is there a way to mass delete customers from the directory (those we added)

Is there a way to mass delete customers from the directory (those we added)

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @OzBF and @gkustas, thanks for bringing this up.

At this time, the option to mass delete or replace existing customer profiles using the import tool is not an available feature of the Customer Directory. I can definitly see how this would help with efficiency and managing your contacts. Rest assured that I'll be sharing your experience with our Product Liaison team, who is constantly working to make improvements based on seller feedback.

For now, your Customer Directory will identify potential duplicate profiles if two or more of your customers share the same email address and/or phone number. If the profile names aren't similar (or if the two profiles have a different email or phone number), they will not be identified as duplicate profiles. In this case, you can manually merge the profiles if they happen to be the same customer.

There are a few options to check for duplicate profiles in your Customer Directory and merge them:

1. Head over to your Customer Directory tab.
  2. Within the All Customers group, you’ll see an alert notifying you possible duplicate profiles.
  3. Click Review All to see the entries flagged as duplicates.
  4. You can then choose to Ignore entries that aren’t duplicates, then click Merge All to combine remaining confirmed duplicates.

If our system hasn't flagged duplicate profiles, you can manually merge them. To do this:

1. Select the duplicate Customer Profile.
  2. Click Edit > Merge with another Profile.
  3. Review the profiles being combined since a merge can’t be undone.
  4. Click Merge.

More information on this is available in our Support Center. Hope this helps in the meantime, and please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

I need this too! Square seems to be lacking in several data management capabilities. I should minimally be able to import a customer spreadsheet that will REPLACE the existing set of customers. Because my import file does not contain email addresses or phone numbers, SQUARE WON'T DETECT DUPLICATES. Help! I think I now have to delete every duplicate customer manually?
Message 2 of 15
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @OzBF and @gkustas, thanks for bringing this up.

At this time, the option to mass delete or replace existing customer profiles using the import tool is not an available feature of the Customer Directory. I can definitly see how this would help with efficiency and managing your contacts. Rest assured that I'll be sharing your experience with our Product Liaison team, who is constantly working to make improvements based on seller feedback.

For now, your Customer Directory will identify potential duplicate profiles if two or more of your customers share the same email address and/or phone number. If the profile names aren't similar (or if the two profiles have a different email or phone number), they will not be identified as duplicate profiles. In this case, you can manually merge the profiles if they happen to be the same customer.

There are a few options to check for duplicate profiles in your Customer Directory and merge them:

1. Head over to your Customer Directory tab.
  2. Within the All Customers group, you’ll see an alert notifying you possible duplicate profiles.
  3. Click Review All to see the entries flagged as duplicates.
  4. You can then choose to Ignore entries that aren’t duplicates, then click Merge All to combine remaining confirmed duplicates.

If our system hasn't flagged duplicate profiles, you can manually merge them. To do this:

1. Select the duplicate Customer Profile.
  2. Click Edit > Merge with another Profile.
  3. Review the profiles being combined since a merge can’t be undone.
  4. Click Merge.

More information on this is available in our Support Center. Hope this helps in the meantime, and please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for the response Tom. Much appreciated. First, let me say that the biggest consideration your team should consider is that new sellers like us that need to set up a test environment initially. We need to learn the system - how to set up our data, create transactions, verify that the credit card processing works, install hardware, etc., etc. Once we are reasonably comfortable, we would like to reset all of the transactions, import (and replace) all existing data, including items, transactions and customers. Your product is very impressive. Easy to use, nice appearance and pretty robust in terms of functionality. I'm sure our organization (a private club) is similar to many of your other customers, in that we use other software to manage our book keeping. This includes the business we do with members as well as the public that rents our facilities. The latter is where we do lots of credit card processing and real cash, whereas the former is where we invoice our members for goods and services rendered over the month. So, It would help greatly if we can maintain certain data, like membership (customers) and items (snack bar and bar inventory) in data files or spreadsheets in order to keep our systems in sync. It would also be VERY helpful if we can manage our own transaction file so that erroneous charges can be deleted - not just refunded. It would greatly simplify our book keeping. Right now it looks like we are going to have to do a lot of programming to take the exported transactions csv and create a Quickbooks IIF file so that the cancelled transactions don't show up in our members' invoices. By the way, I know about the Quickbooks integration you have and that will NOT work for us for several reasons. I can explain in another thread if you like.
Message 4 of 15
Admin

Hi @gkustas, thank you very much for taking the time to share these details. I'll be sure to surface your need for more in-depth item & customer tracking with our Product Liaison team as well. If you haven't had a look already, you might find a helpful solution with one of our partner apps. More information is available in the App Marketplace.

To help us better track these conversations and allow other sellers to join in, please feel free to start a new thread whenever there is a topic change. While we don't have a specific timeline for developments with Customer Directory, we'll circle back with any updates. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Message 5 of 15

I too am having this issue. It seems ridiculous that there is no way to bulk delete customers... somehwere this information is being saved in a database, so it seems like an extrememly simple process to impliment. We had a similar issue with bulk image uploads/edits. I'm sure this system is great for mom and pop setups looking for an easy way to take payments from a mobile location, but it sorely lacking as any sort of enterprise capable solution.

Message 6 of 15
Square

@LSR16 - I'll be sure to pass along the feedback to our product liaison team. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Hopefully this is a functionality we'll be able to add in the future. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 7 of 15

It seems very interesting to me to find that a very useful option has not been added in two years.  I have over 200 some of which are duplicitous, which the system isn't seeing and others are unknown or we have not see in over a year.  Also, the list is one line at a time?! How is that helpful?????

Message 8 of 15
Admin

@Troop102 I'm really sorry for the frustration. I understand this is a feature that would be a lot less time consuming. I passed your feedback along to our product team. They do their best to prioritize each feature request that comes through, so hopefully this will get some traction.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 15

I have a lot of "unknown" customers that I would like to delete all at once.  Is there any way to do that?

Message 10 of 15
Square

There isn't currently a way to delete them all at once, @Donnee7.  I moved your post to another thread on this topic; we'll update you all here if that changes in the future!

Message 11 of 15

Please add me to the other post for this topic

Message 12 of 15
Alumni

Hey @coryrider, this is the best thread to follow for this topic, so you're in the right place! We'll make sure to update this thread with any more details as we have them. Thanks for hanging in there! 

Message 13 of 15

I mistakenly uploaded the wrong list to my customer list. Is there a way to bulk delete?

Message 14 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hey @MoosePrints and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread that answers this question.

Check out the Best Answer above for more details. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 15