x
Highlighted
pnutguy

My magstripe reader is having trouble swiping cards, what can I do?

I have to keep swiping a credit card many times before it recognizes the card.

Message 1 of 47
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Sean Square

Re: Why does it take many swipes for my phone to recognize the card?

Best Answer

There could be a couple things going on here. With a bit of troubleshooting, we should be able to get this issue sorted out! Check out these steps below:

1. Make sure the black magnetic stripe is facing the thickest part of the card reader. ​

2. Remove any case or cover from your device. Some cases prevent the reader from plugging in completely.

3. Firmly plug in the reader. You'll hear a small click when the reader has been correctly inserted.

4. Make sure there is no lint or dust in your headset jack.

5. Wipe the metal connector with a cloth.

6. Disable any Bluetooth wireless headsets or earpieces while taking payment cards.

7. Remove the app from your device and reinstall. See Apple's support site and Google's support site for instructions on how to do so. (Before uninstalling, make sure you've uploaded any payments accepted while in Offline Mode by connecting your mobile device to the Internet. Deleting the app will permanently remove pending offline payment data and the funds will not be captured).

If you're still having issues, please reply with the exact make and model of the smartphone/tablet you're using.

You can also check out this Support Center Article: Square Magstripe Reader Troubleshooting

Thanks! 

Message 2 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
Sean Square

Best Answer

There could be a couple things going on here. With a bit of troubleshooting, we should be able to get this issue sorted out! Check out these steps below:

1. Make sure the black magnetic stripe is facing the thickest part of the card reader. ​

2. Remove any case or cover from your device. Some cases prevent the reader from plugging in completely.

3. Firmly plug in the reader. You'll hear a small click when the reader has been correctly inserted.

4. Make sure there is no lint or dust in your headset jack.

5. Wipe the metal connector with a cloth.

6. Disable any Bluetooth wireless headsets or earpieces while taking payment cards.

7. Remove the app from your device and reinstall. See Apple's support site and Google's support site for instructions on how to do so. (Before uninstalling, make sure you've uploaded any payments accepted while in Offline Mode by connecting your mobile device to the Internet. Deleting the app will permanently remove pending offline payment data and the funds will not be captured).

If you're still having issues, please reply with the exact make and model of the smartphone/tablet you're using.

You can also check out this Support Center Article: Square Magstripe Reader Troubleshooting

Thanks! 

Message 2 of 47
JeraldPope

DOne all these things - twice. App sez reader is installed but doest react to any cards passing through

Message 3 of 47
Admin

@JeraldPope, thanks for giving them a shot and sorry to hear you're still encountering the issue. Please let our Support team know. They'll get back to you with next steps ASAP.

Message 4 of 47
art2

mine is having the same problem  how did you fix this

Message 5 of 47
Admin

Have you been through the troubleshooting steps described by Sean above? These should help! You should also check your device is compatible with the reader. 👍

Message 6 of 47
ultrublu

Tried all the tips in the suggested thread (leaing contacts, uninstall/reinstall, etc). No luck. I'm using a Samsung-SM-G850A (Android version 5.0.2). I'll get a message "Reader connected. Swipe card to charge." When I swipe, I get the message "Magstripe reader disconnected." Same thing happens on my wife's Samsung.

The contactless reader works fine though. Could this be a bug in the latest software? This never happened in the past.

Message 7 of 47
Sean Square

@ultrublu - Sorry to hear about the trouble, and thanks for those details. It sounds like a connection issue (hardware), more so than software. Out of curiosity, are you using a case on your devices? In my experience, this is the number 1 reason that someone would see a message like this. The reader has to be pretty snug in the headphone jack. 

Message 8 of 47
RI

I have done all the necessary requirements to make it swipe but all to no avail 

Message 9 of 47
Admin

Sorry to hear that @RI!

If you've had the reader for a while you may need to order a new one from the app or from your online Dashboard.

If you're using a new reader and it's still not swiping do contact our Support team who can help you get back up and running! 

Message 10 of 47