x
Beta Member

Paying invoice part cash, part credit card - anyway possible?

I sent a customer an invoice for work done as usual and he wants to pay part cash and the rest credit card (ideally through Square) but it won't let me do it.  I can record the cash payment but have no option to process the credit card.  If I process the balance due as a separate transaction and then mark the invoice paid in full then it messes up day end totals by adding the balance transaction and the invoice as two separate sales.  I really can't understand why Square wouldn't allow a partial payment to be processed through Square.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Hello @cmusicshop

You could use the Request Deposit feature on Square Invoices to achieve this. You would set the deposit amount to what the customer wishes to pay in cash. Then the balance they would pay by credit card. After accepting the cash you would record the payment on your Square Dashboard or Point of Sale app. 

From here the customer would pay the remainder by credit card. That way all of the payments are recorded under one invoice. 

Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

But I can't request a deposit after the invoice is sent right?  That is the problem, I've already sent the detailed invoice, I do not usually require a deposit.  The customer comes in to pay it, in person, and wants to pay part in cash and part with credit card.  I don't understand why Square will let you take a partial payment but then takes away the option to use credit card (which is where they make their money!).  I almost never know in advance if a customer is going to split the payments at the time they come in.  If I was just ringing up a non-invoiced sale I can and have split the payments (cash/card, card/different card) but it voids the purpose of an invoice.  I can't see any reason Square does this!?!

If you could somehow link a sale to an invoice to mark it paid without doubling the end of the day take, that might work but that seems more complex than just allowing an invoice to be split paid.

Message 3 of 7

Hello @cmusicshop.

Sorry for the confusion, I thought you had a regular customer that liked to split payment types. 

You are correct, currently we do not have the ability to accept a card present payment on a partially paid invoice. In this situation, you could add the cash payment in the Point of Sale app and your customer would pay the remaining balance through the invoice link in their email. 

I will make sure to share your feedback with our Invoices team. I can see how this feature could help other Square Sellers as well. 🙂

Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

Thanks, please bring this to their attention!  In trying to handle this particular case I saw that it could be done that way - "pay the remaining balance through the invoice link in their email" but that adds an extra couple steps when he is standing right in front of me with card in hand.  Also, some people are weird about paying through their phones still and want to do everything in person.

Message 5 of 7

I really like this idea and I'm not sure why taking these extra steps out isn't an option.

Square, is there an update to this?

Message 6 of 7
Alumni

@dbtech - there is no update as of now. We'll pin an announcement to this thread when there's good new to share. 

Make sure you subscribe u top! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7