x

Process an exchange over 120 days

I have a customer return something over 120 days past date of purchase (my business allows up to a year to return). She has exchanged it for something else for the same total so I need to refund and re-bill her or somehow show the paper trail of one invoice cancelling, and new product on new invoice. How can I do this?

I've done refunds before but that option is locked out since its an older invoice. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Hello @Coloursquad, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Unfortunately you won't be able to issue refunds for credit or debit card purchases past 120 days. Also you won't be able to add a note to the transaction after it has processed.

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but my suggestion is to document this exchange outside Square Point of Sale. 

Message 2 of 8

Thanks. That is cumbersome to have 2 different paper trails. 

Message 3 of 8

@Coloursquad I agree. I'll pass the suggestion of extending the refund window along to our Payments Team. 

To provide some context, refunds longer than 120 days have a high probability of error due to closed bank accounts or the transaction no longer being in the processors system. 

Message 4 of 8

so then how do we protect ourselves from the customer getting refunded twice?

Message 5 of 8

If the customer files a dispute against the claim that has had to be refunded in another way? Since it was past the 120 day refund period? 

Message 6 of 8
Alumni

The transaction isn't refunded twice. Our Disputes Team can see if the charge back was already refunded once. 

If the 120 day window passes and you refunded the transaction by a different method, submit proof of the refund as evidence when you get notified of the dispute so the issue can be resolved accordingly. 

@sueannburns

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 8

This is insane.  I'm trying to process an exchange.  Shouldn't I be the one to decide the timeframe for something like this?  

Message 8 of 8