x

Regarding Gift Cards: Discrepancy between "outstanding balance" and detail report in sales

I'm trying to determine my gift card liability and "breakage".  I have downloaded the detailed csv report located under Sales, gift cards.  However, if I click on "gift cards" located on the left of the dashboard there is an amount called "outstanding balance" that does not equal the amount in the detailed csv report.  Why would that be and which should I believe?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

The Gift Card net amount under the sales reports is based on your date range.  The Outstanding balance under Gift Cards has no date restrictions and that could be why you amounts are different.

Message 2 of 4

Thanks for replying however that is where the discrepancy is.  On the one screen it says $11,000 total outstanding for all time however; if you download the detail csv report using today's date it brings everything in to the downloaded report. That report shows more like 18,000 outstanding over a six year period.  As you can see that's a really large difference.

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

@KaraH It sounds like you're viewing the Activation amount and comparing it to the Gift Card Sales amount. 

The Activation amount reflected is the amount that has been loaded onto gift cards and doesn't account for discounted gift card sales, and only reflects the total value of the gift card itself. 

The Gift Card Sales report will reflect what you were actually paid in Gift Card sales. 

If this doesn't seem to be the case, or if you're still seeing discrepancies, it might be best if our CS Team walked through this with you to figure out where the discrepancy is coming from. 

Message 4 of 4