x
Beta Member

Service Fee - POS

Hello,

I want to apply a service fee of 10% to some orders for a courier service (Favor). I am not sure how to go about doing that. Setting up a second tax is an option but does that affect reporting. Is that the right approach? It will aggregate in taxes which is technically incorrect. 

Another use case is applying an automatic 15% gratuity to parties of 5 or more. There is no quick way to apply these % increases to order totals before tax/tip. You can set up a variable item and enter your amount but that requires calculating these on the side through a calculator. 

Seems like an obvious feature. Am I missing something? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

@anasir You are correct the second tax option is the best option.  The tax item does not aggregate together with your regular sales tax.  The reporting item will list the "name" of the "tax" and the amount.  The best way to look at it is that the tax line item can be called whatever you want it.  It all functions the same.  The most common use is a local tax and a state tax with pre-packaged food.  The amounts are different so you have 1 tax for 1 item and another for the other item.  The accounting at the end has to be done by the user.

You can set up a dining option called "large party".  You make a tax called "Gratuity" of 15% that is applied automatically to the check. You will have 1 tax rule that removes this tax whenever dine-in or call in or to go ..whatever you call it is used.  But on the large party dining option it will allow this tax to be applied.  The only thing you see on your receipt is "Gratuity $X.XX".

You would have to manually account for that tip in your calculations for tip share if you use one etc.

Hope this helps.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

@Donnie-M Great! Thanks for clarifying. 

I wasn't sure if it would mess up reporting but if it creates a separate line item with the "tax" name then it works! 

Message 3 of 3