x

Uploading inventory bulk with cost attached

Is there a way to upload a bulk inventory while including Cost? I noticed when it asks if my fields are correct it has the item cost section, but it is not on the excel sheet.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @jbfletchr

You can do this on the excel file! When you export your library there will be a column labeled New Unit Cost and Current Unit Cost. 🙂

Message 2 of 9

Hey Chad,

Thanks for getting back with me. Unfortunately, the template I have does not have this option. It only has the unit price available. Can I get a copy of the new template with the cost included?

Message 3 of 9

@jbfletchr on your Dashboard head to Items. From there you'll land on the Item Library tab. In the top right select Actions > Export Library. The new unit cost will be under column I. Once you add your new unit cost you can re-import the template to your library. 🙂

Message 4 of 9

Hey Chad,

I did figure this out. However, when I export the inventory it is not in the same order that was in my original imported inventory from another POS system. The template given by Square to do the initial import does not have the cost column. Is there a template for the initial inventory import from another POS system that includes the cost column?

Thanks

Message 5 of 9

Hello @jbfletchr!

The initial import templet doesn't have this field, because it's a feature specific to Square for Retail. Your items will be ordered alphabetically when you import them into the Item Library. The export should reflect the alphabetical order as well. 🙂

Message 6 of 9

It does export alphabetically as well. The issue is I have to get the cost from my original system to Square. Since I have to export the old inventory into the original template it does not line up with the new square for retail export. It is imperative that we have the cost be able to be transferred. It is thousands of items and would be impossible to do them individually, so I need to be able to do it as a bulk transfer. 

Message 7 of 9

@jbfletchr I took some time to play around with this, and I have a work around for you.

So I went ahead and deleted my entire Item Library by importing a blank CSV template. Once all my items were deleted, I selected the "Download our template" option. This will give you a blank template with the item cost columns since you have Square for Retail enabled. From here you can copy your original template onto this one. 🙂

Message 8 of 9

I'll give this a try this week Chad. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Message 9 of 9