x

What are Square's Processing Fees?

What is the difference between Square's fees? Is the fee different between swipe and key in?

Message 1 of 44
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Here's a link to the page which will explain Square's fee structure.  Square charges the fee for every charged transaction - swiped, dipped, tapped or manually entered.  The fee depends on which version of Square you're using, with the manually entered method being the most expensive due to the higher risk for those transactions.

Judy T Shumway

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

When a payment is enter manually, is the fee all the same or a porcentage? How much?

Message 22 of 44
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Gabe3

Welcome to the Community! 

I have moved your post to a thread with some more information on our fees. 

Check out the Best Answer by @GlassDale 

Thank you!

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 44

Thank you so much however I was not inquiring about processing fee but rather if there is a monthly charge on top ?

Message 24 of 44
Alumni

Nope! Fees are only per transaction - @LA1114

Justin
Message 25 of 44

I'm a licensed landscaping contractor in Southern California and im trying to take a payment but don't want to be charged outrageously for a payment over 10k? Does anyone know how much they charge per 1k?

Message 26 of 44
Alumni

Hey @Clearwater123

Fees vary depending on how the payment is processed (card present vs manual entry vs invoicing)

GlassDale links an article that breaks down Square's pricing. Check out the best answer on this thread. 

Justin
Message 27 of 44

What are the processing fees for $15,000?

Message 28 of 44
Alumni

Depends on how the payment is processed (manual entry vs swipe/dip/tap vs invoice, etc.)

I merged you to a thread where @GlassJudy links Square's pricing page. 

Justin
Message 29 of 44

My current rate is 3.5% plus .15 per transaction.  I received an email offer of 2.9% plus .30 per transaction.   Is anyone getting 2.9% ?  I do not see any instruction on how to get my rate changed.  Any suggestions?

Message 30 of 44

Hi @BMI and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over our processing fees. 

The Best Answer has a link to the fees overview page you can check out. Your fee varies depending on how the card is taken. The highest rate you first mentioned is the rate for manually entering payments. Invoices have a lower rate that is the second rate you mentioned. 

Ashley C
Message 31 of 44

Are we charged a different rate for more than 5000.00 in sales per month than the one that is posted on the square fees page? for swiped payments and chip payments

Message 32 of 44

I have been tapping credit cards.  The fees appear to be higher than advertised by Square.  A $30 transaction is being charged $1.32 by Square.  Help me understand.  Thank you.

Message 33 of 44

Hi @amw and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over our fees.

Check out the Fees overview page linked in the Best Answer for a breakdown of fees by transaction type.

Ashley C
Message 34 of 44

Hello to the brains trust, Im sure this has been asked but i cant get my head around the fees. We are a small Trade service with an average invoice being close to $500, if the fees and charges were as stated then this could fetch upwards of $12.

Is there a fixed price or amount after a certain $$$ sale or does the fee stay standard and scale with the sale. I dont see how A. this is fair and B. we can pass this on to our clients for having the convenience of the card facility in our trucks. I mean if i add it on it increases the fee...... can someone help me to understand.........👨‍🎓😢

Message 35 of 44

Hi @AJPPnG75 and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 36 of 44

You haven't answered the question and I dont feel the thread you sent me too actually answered the question.

For example you personally were selling a product for $2000(hot water system)

Would YOU want to pay approx 20 plus dollars so your client can buy your product?

Message 37 of 44

You have not answered my question, Is there a way of forwarding the fees automatically onto the client. I dont understand why i should be paying you for the conveiniecne and paying the clients fees?

If i add the cost on it increase your fee??? doesnt make sense.

Message 38 of 44

how much is this going to cost me per month??

Message 39 of 44

Hey there, @donnalu1 

Are you looking for more information on processing fees or some of our subscriptions? 

Check out this Support Article for more information on fees and how they're broken down. 

If you're looking for pricing about something else, please let me know. 

Kassi
Message 40 of 44
Beta Member

I thought my fee was 2.9%+.10, I'm trying to figure out why my effective rate is 3.11%? I add a service charge for cards of 2.9% to help cover but then it says 3.11% on my report. 

Message 41 of 44
Super Seller

I've noticed this on a few of mine too. I think my end of day email reports can sometimes show a slightly higher amount. I believe if you have an invoice, the transaction fee the fee is higher. 

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 42 of 44