x

How do I disable developer options in order for the Square chip reader to work?

I turned off my developer options in Huawei Mate 9 .  Did everything but still while i open the point of sale app it keeps on telling me to turn off the developer option... Its too annoying and complicated. 

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

I'm sorry, I know I'd be frustrated too @sydneyvibes.

I checked our Compatibility website and it looks like we haven't tested the Huawei Mate 9 so we can't guarantee it will work. You'll need to try a different supported device to accept payments with Square. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Best Answer

I'm sorry, I know I'd be frustrated too @sydneyvibes.

I checked our Compatibility website and it looks like we haven't tested the Huawei Mate 9 so we can't guarantee it will work. You'll need to try a different supported device to accept payments with Square. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 8

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How do you wirelessly connect the Contactless + Chip Card reader?

I have a huawei p10 plus phone and I have been using just the Magstripe with no problems.  I bought the Contactless Reader and now I can't connect it.

I get the following message:  "This device has enabled Developer Options.  Please disable Developer Options in order to use Square's chip reader." 

I have gone into my settings on my phone and I have disable the Developer Options and I'm still getting the same message.

Can anyone help me?

Message 3 of 8
Admin

@3danas I checked and it looks like that device hasn't been added to the Device Compatibility website, so we can't guarantee it will work with the Contacltess and Chip card reader. 😞

The compatibility website is updated frequently as our Hardware team tests new devices. In the meantime you can use the reader with another device, or if you'd like to return your reader head to our Support Center. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 8

Thank you for the update.

Hopefully it gets added to the list very fast as these phones are becoming popular.

Message 5 of 8
Admin

Hey @3danas,

Sheamus from Square's Australian Team here.

In the interest of transparency, I wanted to reach out and let you know that unfortunately it's unlikely further Huawei devices are going to be added to our compatibility list.

You may find some Huawei devices will incidentally work with Square if they meet certain Android operating requirements, however we can't guarantee Huawei devices not already listed as compatible will work on an ongoing basis with Square as we continually update the firmware and security in our readers.

For a little more context, Huawei phones run on a heavily modified version of the Android operating system and in most cases won't meet our minimum device security requirements to process card payments and utilize "PIN on Glass" technology to securely process physical card payment on a mobile device. Square will often detect heavily modified Android installs as a "rooted device" or as having "developer options" turned on - these errors essential mean that we've not detected a secure enough environment for card processing.

Due to the increasing inability of Huawei devices to meet our operating requirements, it's unlikely we'll be adding further Huawei devices to the compatibility list in the future.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help here! I wanted to let you know where we stand at the moment with Huawei devices so you're not left wondering if the Mate 9 is ever going to make the compatibility list or not.

All the best!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 8

Hi I am having the same problem as above except my P20 pro is compatible. The card reader was working and now its not even though i have disabled the developer 

Message 7 of 8
Admin

Hey @Melissa,

I recommend getting in touch with our support team for this one - they can look further into your account operating environment and try some troubleshooting steps. You can call in on 1800 760 137 - lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 8