x

Included magnetic stripe reader?

Hi, does anyone know if I should have received a free magnetic stripe reader with my square device? In the setup video this was mentioned but I didn't receive one, is this because square can now also process payments for credit cards that don't have a chip without a magnetic stripe reader? Thank you

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @elizelemireart,

Thanks for getting in touch! Welcome to the Seller Community ๐Ÿ˜Š

The magstripe reader has been discontinued in Australia, as Australian issued cards need to run through chip or tap. 

The small magstripe reader would previously mainly be used for overseas-issued cards from countries that haven't changed over to chip and tap payments. These type of cards are becoming increasingly more rare, as chip or tap payments are more secure and widely adapted.  

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Best Answer

Hi @elizelemireart,

Thanks for getting in touch! Welcome to the Seller Community ๐Ÿ˜Š

The magstripe reader has been discontinued in Australia, as Australian issued cards need to run through chip or tap. 

The small magstripe reader would previously mainly be used for overseas-issued cards from countries that haven't changed over to chip and tap payments. These type of cards are becoming increasingly more rare, as chip or tap payments are more secure and widely adapted.  

Message 2 of 9

Thank you very much for that! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Message 3 of 9

Hi Arie,

I came here with the same question as elizelemireart and saw your answer.  Are you saying that financial institutions in Australia don't issue mag stripe cards any more?  Does this also mean there are no mag stripe credit/debit cards in use any more in Australia (unless they come from overseas)?  I'm just wondering if I'm likely to encounter an older mag stripe card with no chip.

Thanks, Nick.

Message 4 of 9

Hey @Nick_MGCCG,

Thanks for writing in! 

Visa, Mastercard and AMEX cards all feature chips already and have for a while. Magstripe or โ€˜swipe onlyโ€™ cards are being phased out by eftpos in Australia, so now all new eftpos branded cards also feature chips. The likeliness of running into an old 'swipe only' eftpos card would be very low.  

Message 5 of 9

Hi there, 

I didnt appear to receive a magstripe reader but think I need one for the gift cards I have purchased? would that be correct? 

Message 6 of 9

Hey @Farmgate,

Thanks for writing in, and welcome to our community!

You can accept gift cards without the magstripe reader - take a photo of the gift card QR code or barcode with your deviceโ€™s camera, or scan the gift card barcode with a barcode scanner instead. Please let us know how you go ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Message 7 of 9

Hi Arie, 

The gift card doesn't have a QR code or barcode so can not be scanned by scanner or camera. It only has the card number that can be manually entered - but there doesn't appear to be an easy option to manually enter gift card number, Please help. I would like to send an image of the cards but cant seem to do this via this thread? 

Message 8 of 9

Hey @Farmgate,

Thanks for checking! 

You should be able see manual gift card entry as a payment option in your Point of Sale - you might need to tap > More when going through the checkout. This is what it looks like from my end:

Let us know if this is an option for you! 

Message 9 of 9