x

Why can't I transfer my domain name?

I want to use my own domain name and when I went to do this I was given the options to

A: Connect your domain to your Square site and continue to manage it through your domain provider. It can take up to 24 hours for this change to take effect. 

B:Transfer your domain to Square to manage your domain and site through Square. It can take up to a week for this change to take effect.

I wanted to transfer my domain to Square so that I have everything in one place, but the 'transfer' icon is greyed out. Can anyone tell me why please?

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Malibu,

You won't need to pay your domain registrar to host your website.

You'd pay your domain registrar for the web domain (usually $20-$40 per year).

Then you'd pay Square to build and run website that you can have your domain point to (Pricing here).

If you choose the free Square Online plan then you only pay for the domain hosting.

Hope this helps!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @Malibu,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble transferring your domain.

At the moment Weebly, who runs Square Online, are only able to accept .com, .net, and .org domains for transfer.

So if you're using something else (eg a .com.au domain) you'll need to point the domain rather than transfer. This shouldn't have any practical impact on how the domain works and appears, you'll just need to continue managing the domain via the existing host.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 6

Thanks for your response. My domain is only registered by the provider. It's not hosted. I currently just pay them for my domain name. The way I'm understanding your post is that I will need to pay both my domain registrar and Square to host my website? This would make it a very expensive site...

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Malibu,

You won't need to pay your domain registrar to host your website.

You'd pay your domain registrar for the web domain (usually $20-$40 per year).

Then you'd pay Square to build and run website that you can have your domain point to (Pricing here).

If you choose the free Square Online plan then you only pay for the domain hosting.

Hope this helps!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 6

Hi Seamus,

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks again for your patience and help.

Message 5 of 6
Admin

No worries @Malibu - I replied to your other comment as well a couple of minutes ago 🙂

The jargon can get confusing sometimes!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 6