x

"Developer Options Not Supported" Error on POS App for Android

Hi, 

I am trying to connect my device to my mobile app however I am recieving an error "Developer Options Not Supported" This device has enabled Developer Options ,Please disable Developer Options in order to use Square's chip reader. 

Anyone know how I can fix this issue? 

Brand new from store yesterday 

thanks

Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @BlushBrows,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear about the trouble you've had connecting your reader.

The error you're seeing here about "Developer Options" is actually due to a setting on your mobile device rather than the Square reader itself. Square readers require a secure operating environment in order to process sensitive card data, which means the "Developer Options" on your Android device should be turned off.

You can generally find this setting on your Android Device under "Settings" then "Developer Options" (usually located towards the bottom of your settings) - make sure you flick Developer Options off. Once you've done this, you should be able to pair the reader successfully via the Square POS app.

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any further assistance! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Square Community Moderator

As a payment processor Square's requirements are different from a banking app as you're accepting card payments, rather than doing your personal or business banking, @bayinfo. Turning a mobile phone and reader into a mobile point of sale means we have to do our due diligence to ensure your business details, and customer's card info, is secured. Learn more about security measures implemented here

Message 22 of 24

As an app developer myself, I am aware of what level of access some of the 'Developer Options' can grant. But blacklisting the entire 'Developer Options' is just madness. Plenty of people have specific features enabled for perfectly valid reasons. Blocking them all, is just crazy.

If you need to block specific options that may cause a security issue, fine, but don't be lazy and block then entire 'Developer Options' section.

As I said, I have already stopped using my Square reader due to not being able to completely disable 'Developer Options' as I need some of the sub-options enabled for my day to day usage.

Message 23 of 24

Just bought the Square Reader V2 today, rather tacky that Square don't' notify on their ad blurb that you can't have Developer Options turned on.  It also seems that I can't use tap and pay with my phone for the same reasons.

That was a waste of $65    😠

As others have said lazy programming, and 'corporate babble' that no one (available) can actually specifically justify.

Most of these posts are from years ago and Square still has not addressed this.

Message 24 of 24