x

Can we use text messaging instead of email for Square Marketing?

Can we use text messaging for marketing instead of e-mail? Most of my customers give phone # only.

Message 1 of 391
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Can we use text messaging instead of email for Square Marketing?

📳Hello Everyone!📳

I'm reaching out to those who've posted to this thread as we're hosting a question & answer session with the product team for Text Message Marketing on Wednesday, February 17th.

Have questions about setting up or feedback on how it's going so far? Please head over to this thread and let us know: Live Q&A: Ask us anything about Text Message Marketing!

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

We know you've been asking for it, and we're excited to announce Text Message Marketing (SMS) in the US, which is now available as an a la carte subscription that allows you to collect customer phone numbers and send them marketing-related text messages.

You can get started by visiting Text Message Marketing on on the Square Dashboard. 

Included are automated campaigns and ‘manual blast’ campaigns, where you can offer coupons, announce sales, promote events, and more. 

While Text Message Marketing can be found and used within Square Marketing in Dashboard, you DO NOT need to be subscribed to Square Marketing to use Text Message Marketing.

Square Marketing users will likewise need to onboard to Text Message Marketing, and will be billed separately for text message use.

What does the Text Message Marketing do?

Opt-in Collection

• Build a list of customers to text BEFORE you pay a cent for the product
  • Collect opt-ins via your point-of-sale (or via Loyalty enrollment)
  • Text customers from a phone number unique to your business. This number will also allow customers to sign up via Text to Join, and can be promoted via in-store, online, or wherever else you’d like

Manual Campaigns

• Draft a message and send to customers, instantly*
  • Offer a coupon, or include a link to an announcement, event, or online sale (which we automatically shorten to save characters)
  • Send up to 600 characters per message, or 250 if emojis are used. This will separate out into up to 4 texts, BUT we’ll only be charging for one ‘message’ per customer per campaign.

*Note: Texts are sent in 15 minute increments, so if you draft and send a text at 2:05pm, the text would go out at 2:15. Texts can only be sent during business hours in the merchant's time zone (i.e. 9-5). After 5pm, merchants can schedule for texts that will be sent the next day.

Automated Campaigns

• Automatically text a customer with a qualifying event (similar to automated email marketing)
  • General campaigns: birthday collection + birthday reward, lapsed customer. 
  • Loyalty-related campaigns like reminding about Loyalty rewards, and celebrating Loyalty anniversaries

What are the limitations?

Feature

Current Limitation

Texting: General

No two-way texting (You cannot yet respond to Buyers by text, Sellers will not see Buyer responses)

Texting: General

No picture message (MMS)

Opt-in: List Building

No phone number list upload 

Opt-in: Loyalty Consent Specifics

Due to the current Loyalty consent language (which permits ‘loyalty-related communication’), Loyalty sellers will be able to send automated messages to  nearly all of their Loyalty enrollees. 

Seller Use Case

Sellers who sell adult products, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, or CBD/cannabis are subject to a standard called SHAFT. This a self-regulation by mobile carriers that can block messages around these topics. 

What is the pricing?

Pricing is tiered pay-as-you-go: at the end of the month, a seller will be charged the tier corresponding with how many messages they sent. They will not be charged for months where they did not send any messages. We do not have established custom pricing eligibility or rates established for launch.

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 388 of 391
390 REPLIES 390
Admin

@samanthor Thanks for reaching out! We are accepting new Beta testers. Currently you must be subscribed to Square Loyalty and or Square Marketing. 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 253 of 391
Beta Member

Hi Howard, I am!

Message 254 of 391
Beta Member

Update on text messaging?

Message 255 of 391
Admin

Hey all! Thank you for your interest in testing Text Message Marketing. 

We have seen a lot of enthusiasm around testing this feature!

Thank you to all of sellers who showed interest in joining our testing group and also to those who provided feedback. 

I want to update everyone to say we are no longer adding in more testers to this beta. Our team is working hard to make updates and improvements based on seller feedback. 

That being said, we plan to make this feature available for everyone within the coming months. 

Stay tuned to this thread for further updates. 

Thank you! 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 256 of 391
Beta Member

We would like to be part of the beta for text messaging.

Note: we’re only enrolled in square marketing (we’re not currently enrolled in square loyalty). 

Message 257 of 391
Beta Member

Square has been working on this text messaging for almost 4 years now!  It would have been nice to have it up and running for Christmas or Valentines.  I'm very disappointed in Square right now, way behind the curve for retailers.

Lanora Davidson
Message 258 of 391
Admin

@ThingsDublin I have reviewed your account and it appears you have the option to send automated text campaigns currently. Just so I get an understanding how were you wanting to use Text Messaging marketing? 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 259 of 391
Beta Member

Signing up for marketing was a confusing process, I spent over an hour reading support pages and finally broke down and called Weebly support and was handed off twice before someone could walk me through it.  Yes, I am now set up to send the marketing texts.  Yes, they are lame.  I would like to be able to send a text encouraging customers to shop for Valentines Day presents on my web site.  Nope, not an option.

Lanora Davidson
Message 260 of 391

We can only use what Square has a template for.  It was my understanding that we would be able to create custome campaigns to notify of sales etc via square text messaging campaigns.  Right now, the only thing I can do is bday and loyalty.  That is not what I am needing.

Message 261 of 391
Admin

Hey all! 

We are excited to announce updates for the text message marketing beta.

We are launching general announcement campaigns for sellers with Square Marketing and an automated birthday collection text campaign for all sellers on the beta.

Going forward, all texts that contain a website address will be turned into a shortened Square link (e.g., https://square.ly/abc123). This will allow you to see how many customers click on your campaigns, and help us protect you and your customers should anyone take over your account and send a malicious link.

To review, this beta feature allows you to send manual campaigns. These campaigns are one-time text messages that are sent to your customers. You can select the type of campaign (coupon or general announcement) then customize the copy (and the coupon details) you wish to send your buyers.

Note: Text Message Marketing will vary whether you use Square Marketing only or Square Loyalty and Square Marketing together. For the moment, Loyalty sellers must continue to send coupons with their manual text messages for legal reasons. We’re working to help you get the right opt-in from buyers, as we know this presents limitations to what you can send.

For legal purposes, you’ll need to collect opt-in from your customers to ensure that they want to receive marketing texts from you, even if you already have their phone number in your customer directory. 

Buyer Opt In

Square Loyalty + Marketing: 

Your customers agree to receive text message marketing when they join your Square Loyalty program. Any customers who have previously signed up for your Loyalty program with the most recent legal language will be included as reachable customers. This means some of your Loyalty customers will not yet receive your marketing text messages.

Square Marketing:  

Your customers can sign-up via your Square Point of Sale, or soon via a text to opt-in feature we’ll be releasing. Keep in mind it may take some time to collect opt-ins for your campaigns.

To access manual text message campaigns, you must be subscribed to Square Marketing. 

To join the beta, click Reply immediately below this post and leave a comment to let me know if you're interested.Once you are enabled, I will like your post and send you an email to get started. 

Thank you for your interest! 

Cheers,

Howard 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 262 of 391
Beta Member

we would like to sign up for text message beta

Message 263 of 391
Admin

@Sidhu Thank you for your interest! To use Text Message marketing, you must be subscribed to Square Marketing. Feel free to start a free trial: 

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5346-get-started-with-square-marketing 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 264 of 391

Can you please sign me up for the text beta marketing? Thank you

Message 265 of 391

Thanks for this update, but I'm a little turned around...how do we sign up for square marketing? I'm already enrolled as in loyalty subscription and the only way I see to start the free trial is to go through the process and actually send a message out to my customers? 

am i missing something?

my goal is the following: we are moving locations bc of COVID and I would like to text my loyalty customers about the move. just a notice, etc. 

Message 266 of 391
Admin

@abarzegar Currently we don't have the option for a generalized text campaign for sellers to contact their Square Loyalty customers, but are looking to add this soon. 

To answer you first question,  you can start a free trial by sending an email message out to your customers. 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 267 of 391

please sign us up @Howard 

Message 268 of 391

We are anxious to utilize text marketing to reach out to customers or send updates as a mass marketing effort rather than emails which go to spam or promotions folders. This is a feature we are researching with another platform that we could possibly switch to if some features are not added to Square promptly. 

Message 269 of 391

I want to be a part of the beta to use for sending marketing to sell eGift Cards.

Please email me. Thanks!

Message 270 of 391

Hi Howard, I am desperate to get on the text platform to sell egfit cards... I am currently closed and need to get some cash flow to help me open back up...

Can you please set me up ASAP on the BETA text marketing group and I will restart my marketing subscription asap.  I started it today but then deactivated it because I couldnt set up a text blast and 800 of my 950 reachable customers only have cell phones and no email.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Stay HEALTHY

Thanks,

Greg

Message 271 of 391
Admin

@Pops1911 Thanks for reaching out and I happy to enable this feature on your account. I will let you know once you are able to send a campaign. 

Note currently with your subscription you will only be able to send a message that has a coupon attached. We are working to update this for our sellers who use Square Loyalty and Square Marketing. 

Howard
Beta Team Lead, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 272 of 391

Thank You!!! Will it be soon I hope? I need to get some cash flow because waiting on gov funding still... Thanks Stay safe. Any chance you can email me please?

Message 273 of 391