x

Can you assign an item to multiple categories?

I wanted to assign an item to 2 different categories.....is it possible?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 77
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can you assign an item to multiple categories?

An item can only be assigned to one category at a time. Would you mind sharing more about why you would want an item in two categories? What type of items do you have? I'd love to better understand your request! Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

An item can only be assigned to one category at a time. Would you mind sharing more about why you would want an item in two categories? What type of items do you have? I'd love to better understand your request! Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 77
76 REPLIES 76
Alumni

@bgallaher - thanks for sharing your suggestions! Currently a feature that hasn't been implemented yet but we're continuously tracking the need for this. Subscribe to this thread I moved you to for update notifications. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 64 of 77
Beta Member

We recently moved to use Shopventory for managing our inventory - and what a godsend! Shopventory will allow you to add items to multiple categories!!

However, wah, wah - Square will not DISPLAY items in multiple categories, so it is definitely a software issue! Items that have more than one category assigned to them, only show the first category! So frustrating! We have our regular priced items - but we also need them to be in our happy hour category - that we should, theoretically, be able to auto-discount during the times specified in the discount set-up interface...

For now, anything we want set-up as a happy hour item - we need to set-up as a separate item to be able to do the discount. A lot of work for something that should be relatively simple to adjust in the software's HTML coding! The app, after all - is just a glorified website.

James Wilkinson
Message 65 of 77
Beta Member

I looked into this but its pretty costly.

Message 66 of 77

As a suggestion: I think it would be useful to allow items to be added to various categories. 

Message 67 of 77
Alumni

Thanks for posting! The ability for categories to share items is a popular ask and is currently being tracked on this thread. 

Mind giving us an idea on how you'll use this feature for your biz? Our Engineers like to tailor features that are specific to Sellers' needs. @lfdy

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 68 of 77

@JustinC One particular way that we would use this feature is as follows. We have a category called "Combo's" where, as you can imagine, you find all the special combinations we offer. Such as a turkey Sandwich Combo. We also have a category for "Sandwiches", where the various Sandwiches are listed. So while Turkey sandwich alone is under the category "Sandwiches" the turkey sandwich combo is only under "Combo's" when we would like to put it under both categories. Hope this makes sense.  

Message 69 of 77
Beta Member

Agreed, this is exactly how I would use it for my deli if we are able to assigned subcategories or multiple categories. 

Message 70 of 77
Beta Member

Another vote for having multiple category options. We sell items on consignment as well as just straight retail, so it's helpful to have items marked both by their product category (like jewelry) and whether they are on consignment from the maker.

Message 71 of 77
Beta Member

I don't get why this is not a feature. There are multiple requests on this thread alone and not including other threads.

Message 72 of 77

I own a multi-vendor boutique and it would definitely help me and my Vendors. Sometimes we have items that can go in multiple categories for increased sales. For example, a handmade scrubber could be in our Kitchen category or it could go in our Beauty category for use as an exfoliating loofah. Another example is our Holiday category could go in pretty much all the other categories as well: Clothing, Toys, Kitchen, Bath & Body, etc. And finally, we have jewelry pouches which goes in our Handbags & Accessories but would be great in Jewelry for an up-sale. We use the Add Vendor feature to figure out Vendor payouts and organize the inventory that way. I will say though that it’s frustrating to have to go to 3 different reports to get all of the information we need to process the Payouts. That area definitely needs attention too.

Message 73 of 77

This is similar to my use case as well. I have several types of items (necklaces, prints, etc.) that should both appear under their root category (necklace or prints) as well as the category "holiday."  Another example would be Jewelry as a category (I have some items that are jewelry sets that would only be listed in this category) as well as Necklaces, Bracelets, etc. Everything in Necklaces and Bracelets would be in Jewelry, but not all jewelry belongs in a subcategory.

Message 74 of 77

Still waiting on this. I have a retail beauty supply store. I need to be able to categorize by product type (shampoo, conditioner etc.) and product brand. In some instances I need brand, line within brand and product type!

Message 75 of 77

We also need to be able to assign items to multiple categories. We have a brunch menu, dinner menu, and outdoor bar menu that all have some overlap in items. Rather than create 3 of the same item, one for each menu, it would be so much better to be able to assign multiple categories. Now that we are living in COVID-era, we are moving our sales online and encouraging online ordering. This makes having 3 different items all that much more difficult to manage. 

Message 76 of 77
Beta Member

I have a food business and want to highlight my vegetarian offerings in its own "Vegetarian" category, while keeping them in their original sandwich category.  This will help customers discover items much more effectively!  Please add! 

Message 77 of 77