x

Can you issue a refund on a gift card?

I work at a camp and we collect money on Sunday for the campers to use in the camp store. During the week we send them to the store and if they don’t use all their money we give them the difference back. In order to keep inventory right we need to find a different method (right now essentially our books are showing the money coming in twice.) Credit card or cash Sunday and ‘cash’ again when they visit. If we issue a gift card Sunday can we still refund the difference at the end of the week?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Welcome to the seller, @Lhill, and thanks for your post.

I went to check on this, and we do not currently offer a streamlined solution for a pre-paid card that would allow you to refund the remaining balance at the end of the week. A few options you might consider as alternatives are sending an invoice for each transaction, or you could create a punch card that could be purchased upfront—with a punch card, you could easily process a partial refund for any amount that's left on the card. I realize that either of these options aren't exactly what you're looking for at this time, but they will help you keep track of inventory and sales history.

Please do keep in touch for updates and don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 2