x

Gratuity based on pre-discounted total

Hey all:

We are a bar that utilizes Square for our transactions. We have various percentage-based discounts (happy hour, industry, etc); however, we would like to list the gratuity choices as a percentage of the pre-discounted amount. For example, if the original bill is $100 and a 50% happy hour discount is applied: Square currently lists the 20% option as $10 (20% of 50) instead of $20. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify these final gratuity values to reflect the prediscounted total? Thank you!

Message 1 of 45
1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Gratuity based on pre-discounted total

Hi there. 

Unfortunately both smart tips and tip percentages are calculated based on the total sale amount that you'll be charging your customer, not the price of the items or services rendered. 

I'll gladly pass this feedback over to our Product Team, and if we decide to make a change around this we'll be sure to announce it. 

There might be a work-around that one of your fellow Square Sellers currently use, so hopefully they can chime in and help out. 

44 REPLIES 44

Hi Nika-
I just did some calculations. I am losing anywhere from $30-$100/wk in tips because of this issue. Given my work schedule, inone year that can equal anywhere from $1500-$5000 that I am NOT getting because of this issue. We are small businesses that are already suffering due to the economic issues in the world so even $1500 is a big loss for me and my family.

Why has this not been corrected and can you PLEASE get us a timeline or real answer on when it will be resolved or WHY it hasn't been resolved already? I love square in so many other ways, but the financial loss may just move me away and I'm sure many other businesses feel the same way.

Message 43 of 45
Beta Member

This thread was started 3 years ago and still no relief? My staff and I are losing thousands every year. We ask a deposit to reserve an appointment. When the client arrives, their deposit is discounted off the total, sometimes hundreds of dollars. They usually tip 20%, but off the discounted total because there is no other option and they don't know any better. 20% of hundreds of dollars that we miss out on adds up quick. Please create a pre-discount tipping option so that we can stop losing money. Thank you.

Message 44 of 45
Beta Member

Why on earth has it been over 4 years and this still isn’t a thing? 

Message 45 of 45