x

How to turn off audio on iPhone 7

I have an iPhone 7 and I'm using the wireless Square Reader that accepts a credit card with a chip or contactless payment and it works fine. I am not using the magstripe.  I started the Register app to use the wireless Square Reader while I had the Apple EarPods plugged in the the lighting connector and loud data noise came through the EarPods and the audio I was listening to was stopped. I understand this is used for the magstripe, but I don't use the magstrip and I want to be able to use the EarPods with my iPhone while using the wireless Square Reader. How can I set the Register app so that it doens't use the audio/magstripe? If this can't be done can this please be added as a setting?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 4
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How to turn off audio on iPhone 7

@jeffzacharias - Thanks for confirming. This is currently the expected behavior for the app, but I definitely understand where you are coming from. I'll be sure to share your feedback! Hope you're enjoying your new iPhone 7! 

3 REPLIES 3
Square

@jeffzacharias - Thanks for the question, and kudos on your first post! 💯  As a follow up, does the data noise still play once you close the app? When using the magestripe reader, it stops once the app is closed out. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 4

The data noise stops when the Reader app quits.  It's clear that it's the Reader app doing this in case the magstripe is connected. I would just like the option to turn it off, since I won't be using the magstripe and I'd like to have headphones attached to the iPhone 7 lighning port while using the Reader app.

Message 3 of 4
Square

@jeffzacharias - Thanks for confirming. This is currently the expected behavior for the app, but I definitely understand where you are coming from. I'll be sure to share your feedback! Hope you're enjoying your new iPhone 7! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 4