x

Why I continue to sell DVDs and CDs

In an era where streaming services dominate the entertainment landscape, it might seem archaic to cling to physical formats like DVDs and CDs. Yet, as someone deeply passionate about providing accessible entertainment options, I stand firm in my decision to continue selling these relics of a bygone era. Why, you might ask, in a world where everything is just a click away, do I persist in offering DVDs and CDs? The answer lies in the recognition that not everyone enjoys seamless internet access, and some still value the tangible experience of owning physical media.

Moreover, there's a certain charm to owning physical copies of your favorite movies or albums. Flipping through a stack of CDs or perusing a shelf of DVDs evokes a sense of nostalgia that streaming services often fail to replicate. The act of browsing through titles, reading album liner notes, or admiring cover art adds a tactile dimension to the entertainment experience that digital platforms can't quite match. For many, collecting DVDs and CDs isn't just about owning the content; it's about curating a personal library and preserving cherished memories.

But perhaps the most compelling reason for continuing to sell DVDs and CDs is the desire to offer choice and autonomy to consumers. While streaming services offer convenience and a vast library of content, they also come with limitations. Users are subject to fluctuating subscription fees, content availability dictated by licensing agreements, and the risk of titles being removed from platforms. By contrast, purchasing physical media grants individuals' greater control over their entertainment preferences. There are no monthly fees or reliance on internet connectivity, and once you own a DVD or CD, it's yours to enjoy indefinitely, regardless of licensing agreements or streaming platform changes.

while the rise of streaming services has undoubtedly transformed the way we consume entertainment, there remains a place for physical media in our increasingly digital world. From providing access to those without reliable internet connections to offering a nostalgic and tactile experience, DVDs and CDs serve as a reminder of the enduring appeal of tangible formats. By continuing to sell these relics of the past, I hope to offer consumers choice, autonomy, and a deeper connection to the content they love.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Yes,I agree with you. We were full-time RVers for several years. We didn't always have access to the internet, so we had to rely on our own DVDs for entertainment. Even now we still watch our DVDs because it's easier than trying to find them on our services.

Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

I think a lot of people right now are realizing that even when you "purchase" a movie online, the licensing agreement may end or the streaming service may shut down. Also, UHD Blurays still technically provide the highest quality over all other formats. I still hold on to CDs I've purchased several years ago, and occasionally transcode them into the latest format. And you're right, there's something about a physical copy being on a shelf that defines a person. Thanks for keeping the tradition going. 

Message 3 of 3