x
Admin

Discounts Product Team Q&A: Ask us anything about Discounts!

On October 27th, 2021, our Discounts product team hosted a Q&A focused on sellers who use Point of Sale, Square for Retail, Square for Restaurants, Appointments, and Invoices.

Acacia50439_Stand_A11_Pumpkins_TB_01_sRGB_Medium.jpg

We're aware that many sellers have questions and requests related to setting up discounts within the mobile app as well as the online Square Dashboard. We appreciated learning about what's going well and where there is room for improvement. We can't share out specific details on our product roadmaps, though we will certainly make sure all of the posts that came through on this thread are incorporated into the decision process. 

A few example questions:

• What's the best way to set up a discount for a limited time sale?
  • What's the best way to manage my discounts if I have multiple product bundle offerings?
  • I need a discount that does "______" — what is your best suggestion?
  • I wish I had "______" reporting for my discounts.
️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 178
1 Best Answer
Community Team

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We hope some of your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

We wanted to do a recap on the themes that came up frequently:

• Top asks that have got our attention and we hope we can address soon - Exempt Items or Categories from a discount, Square Online Discounts do not yet sync with the Square Discounts in Items Library, restrict Stacking of discounts
  • Auto Discounts - Many of the use cases shared could benefit from auto discounting. Square offers a strong suite of auto discounting features around Item/Category discounts, Quantity based Discounts, Customer based discounts. We would love to hear more from you if there are any gaps in the auto discounting flow that we can solve for. Please send a Private Message to @divyar if you would like to talk further.

Here are a few important links that you may find useful. How to create Discounts video, Discounts FAQ, Create and Manage Discounts

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to improve Square’s products based on your business needs.   

Again, thanks for your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

View Best Answer >

Message 157 of 178
177 REPLIES 177
Square

Hi @OLW ,

Unfortunately, Invoices does not offer the ability to exclude any line items from being discounted in a sale. However, you may be able to use Service Charges on your invoice to represent your shipping fee, and it will not be discounted along with the items. Read more on how to create service charge.

Kyle Woodlock
Engineering Manager, Square
Message 22 of 178

Thank you Kyle, I will check that out. Sounds like a good solution. 👍🏻👍🏻

Message 23 of 178
Super Seller

I have quantity based discounts in Squares Retail POS.  When I sell one candle the price is $14.99.... 2 go to $12 dollars each and 3 go to $11 dollars each.  This happens automatically as I scan in my items.  Even if I scan in an item or 2 or 3 that are not in the category of items to get the applied discount.  Here is a link on how to setup a quantity based discount.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6603-discounts-faqs 

From Squares Virtual TerminalFrom Squares Virtual Terminal

On my Ipad Stand it shows the discount right under the item.  The way I have it setup 3 candles for $33 and 2 for $24 by exact amount if the person would buy 6 candles they would get 2 sets of 3 for $33 per set or $66 for 6 of the 16 oz candles.  I did this sample to show you the 2 discounts applied at the same time and before sales tax.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 24 of 178
Community Team

Hi @Mlsmith1,

I am not sure I understood your use case well. When you want the discount to be taken out of a specific item and not a cart level, are you looking to exclude some other items in the cart from discounting or is this more of a presentation improvement? Usually when attempting multiple discounts, as explained by you, quantity based auto discounts might work better. (Learn more how to).

Message 25 of 178
Beta Member

What's the status on discounts for APPOINTMENTS!?? As in discounts that can be put into the booking process by the guest?! 

"Use PromoCode BLACKFRIDAY and get 10% off your service" sort of thing. Even just very very basic (well recognize there would need to be discount attributes but Booker (now MindBody) let us create any combination of promocode that was valid for a certain timeframe, on certain services, etc etc.)!

If Appointments can't/wont' ever support a promocode/discount code then how the heck should us service providers (Appointment-based Businesses) run promotions efficiently?

Message 26 of 178
Community Team

Hi @HideawaySD, 

Thank you for your feedback. Promo codes now work in appointments but are restricted for the seller to input the code. I have shared this feedback with my colleague on the appointments team.

Message 27 of 178

Hi Divyar! Thanks for your response. Does the code have to be created in the Discounts section of the Items menu? How/where does the seller input the code? 

Message 28 of 178
Beta Member

Sometimes my customers make errors in their ordering process, and I need to issue some money back to cover the difference in an upcharge that can't be performed for whatever reason.  What's the status on a proper store credit system so that you can easily assign a dollar value of built in credit to each customer without dealing with cumbersome e-gift cards?  I believe this has been a feature request for more than 5 years...

Message 29 of 178
Square

Hi @Speedgraphic,

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently working on an improved refund to e-Gift Card experience that should be available in the coming months. Store credit is a feature that is on the radar of our point of sale teams.

Kyle Woodlock
Message 30 of 178

How do I edit a price of an item to apply a discount specifically to that item in the middle of a transaction?

Message 31 of 178
Beta Member

Yeah that's what I need, to be able to click on one item in an order as I'm ringing it in and apply a custom discount off that item instead of having to select one of the discounts I already keyed into the discounts area of the POS app. The ones I have pre saved are never the amount I actually want at the time so it would be great to be able to select an item, add a custom discount, and then continue with the rest of the bill as normal so that on the receipt it would say Item X, discount $2... Item Y

Message 32 of 178
Beta Member

Totally agree!  There is the ability to set up a variable £ discount for the bill/ticket total but it doesn't appear when you tap on an individual item - just the fixed %age discounts.  Would love this function.

Message 33 of 178
Community Team

Hi @LONDONCALLINGBR,

Have you tried variable amount discounts? You should be able to enter the discount amount at the time of checkout. It is possible to do so at a cart level as of now.

Message 34 of 178
Square

Hi @TheVanityStoreL ,

Can you help us understand your use case/workflow better? What is the main motivation behind changing the item price during checkout, and why do you want to use a discount to do it? For receipt, reporting purposes, or other?

Kyle Woodlock
Message 35 of 178
Beta Member

I have always thought that it would be great to be able to offer discounts on modifiers only. Are there any suggestions on how to offer a discount on modifiers for example, get a free flavor in your latte? The only way I've been able to figure that out is to manually adjust the cost of the modifiers for the time frame of the discount.

Message 36 of 178
Square

Hi @augustalan,

Thank you for the feedback! We haven't planned any work to allow discounts on modifiers only. Can you share more detail on your use case? Does it apply only to a particular flavor of syrup on any given day? Are you trying to clear inventory, drive sales, or both?

A possible workaround would be to create two different modifiers for each syrup, like "Vanilla" for $0.50 and "Vanilla (Free)" for $0.00 and tap the appropriate one. If this is not a useful workaround, can you describe what's missing?

Kyle Woodlock
Message 37 of 178
Beta Member

We use modifiers pretty heavily and could use a few different tweaks to that functionality to really unlock the full value (ex. modifier quantities, collapsable modifier categories, better modifier reporting) but for this use case we are a coffee shop so we add espresso, flavors, or milk as items with extra cost. My goal would be to have days or even times of the day where we offer a customization for free to incentivize people to try to find their new favorite drink. I believe the concept would be to incentivize new customer behaviors to increase our average transaction so driving sales would be the goal.

If we were able to apply modifiers to sets of categories at a time without an export/import of products then I could see creating a second modifier set as a potential solution. As it stands we would have to spend a lot of time customizing modifiers for a short period. It would also mess up reporting on modifier sales.

Message 38 of 178
Square

Hi @augustalan,

Thanks for that added info. That sounds like a great idea for a business, get them to try new things with a discount so they'll come back later at full price when they love it.

And the reason you want to only have the free modifier appearing for a limited duration, rather than just always having a paid and a free version of each modifier... Is that because you just don't want to take up all that extra space in the modifier UI during checkout? Because you want to prevent human error where the cashier adds a free modifier when they shouldn't (or doesn't add a free one when they should)?

The reporting point is also a great one. Would be useful for you to see the promotion appearing as a discount and be able to track its performance without messing up normal sales reporting.

We'll take this feedback and evaluate it as a feature!

Kyle Woodlock
Message 39 of 178
Beta Member

The extra space is a big one because we are already scrolling but it is also something that we want to avoid giving employees chances to choose the wrong modifier. I don't want to call it human error because they would intentionally use the wrong one for friends.

This convo has given me some thoughts on ways to work out how to better use modifiers and discounts so I appreciate the time dialoguing about this.

Message 40 of 178
Beta Member

(regarding online discounts) Would it be possible for a customer to enter their discount code before entering all of their shipping info? Also, will automatic discounts be available in the near future (such as quantity-based discounts, free shipping after a certain amount, etc)?

Message 41 of 178
Community Team

HI @byakki,

Discounts don’t yet fully sync between Square Online and Square’s main Item Library, but we’re working on this. Free shipping should be available in Square online. Try Online > Fulfillment > Shipping > Add Shipping Rate > Select Free Shipping.

Message 42 of 178