x
Admin

Square Loyalty Q&A: Ask our product team anything about Square Loyalty 🤝

Hello Seller Community — hope your February is off to a good start!

On Thursday, February 17th, @seiderman (Product Manager) and @cspillane (Product Marketing Manager) hosted a deep dive into the world of loyalty. Together, they answered questions from “How can I drive more success from my loyalty program?” to “What features are on the horizon?” — we want to help you grow your business with Square Loyalty. We'll share a summary of best practices and address the main themes that came up on this day, and mark it as a Best Answer as soon as possible.

A few example questions:

• How can I configure my Square Loyalty program to increase engagement?
  • What's the best way to increase awareness about my loyalty program?
  • If I could do "_______" with Square Loyalty, it would make a big difference for my business.

El_Sancho_2699_TB_01_Medium.jpg

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 156
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to join the Loyalty Q&A! 

We thoroughly enjoyed the conversations, and hope your questions were answered. Our #1 goal as a product team is to iterate Square Loyalty to better support the needs of your business; thus, sharing your experiences with us make a huge difference in helping our team prioritize the right things — so thank you again! 

In closing, I’d love to do a quick recap on 3 key themes we saw pop up frequently: 

• Loyalty Promotions: The requests for one-off or recurring promotions (e.g. 2x points during happy hour, 5 bonus points for coming in on X day) were rampant, and we’re excited to share that we have this feature coming to you shortly! In fact, Beta Testing kicked off this week, so please let us know if you’d like to be given early access as a tester. Ultimately, Loyalty Promotions will assist with the following: 

• Driving repeat visits and sales by incentivizing buyers outside of your typical “spend and get” program structure
    • Encouraging specific buyer behaviors
    • Proactively generating business (i.e. driving more traffic to your business on a typically “slow” day)

• Front-of-transaction enrollment, check-in, and reward redemption: A solution is coming in early Spring that will enable your customers to enroll, check-in, and see their current rewards — all in advance of completing the transaction (and without the cashier having to ask for the customer details upfront). Stay tuned as we’ll be sure to announce the launch to all sellers using Square Register/X2, Square for Restaurants, Square for Retail, and Square Appointments!

• Adjusting points balance when a return/exchange is processed: Clarification on this topic came up a handful of times, and I’m happy to report that Square Loyalty automatically returns the points earned on a transaction when a refund is processed (or adjusts the points balance if an exchange occurs). 

In addition to the Loyalty Promotions Beta that kicked off this week, we’re also looking for sellers to interview around employee-specific tools and reporting for Loyalty. If you’d like to be involved, please reach out to myself or @seiderman.

Again, we appreciate your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates. 

Ciara Spillane
Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Square
Square Loyalty

View Best Answer >

Message 148 of 156
155 REPLIES 155

Do you know of any way a field service company (think like appliance repairs) could utilize Square Loyalty? We visit customers once a year after installation of equipment. How would you establish a loyalty program for a service that customers sometimes try their best to avoid since ideally they don't want to deal with broken equipment.

It would be best for us if square had some ability to create membership tiers instead, almost like a contract but more marketable as a service plan.

Just throwing this question up/brainstorming.

**EDIT** I think Square's PLAN functionality might work best for us. Curious to hear what others do.

Message 2 of 156
Square

Hey @mannyh,

Thanks for the question. Within the current Loyalty product, we typically see businesses like yours implement a spend based loyalty program. With spend based programs, customers earn points based on the dollar amount of the transaction. For service based businesses (field services included), this allows buyers to quickly earn points for their (usually) large purchases, and build a sense of “loyalty” to the company.  

As far as memberships go, this is actually something that my team has been thinking a lot about recently. If you’re open to it, I’d love to set up a call with you to learn more about your specific business needs.

Message 3 of 156
Super Seller

Yes!! Memberships!! That was another thing I was wanting to provide to my guests as well!! 

Jess
Hair Designer | Certified Trichologist

Visit My Website - JP Style & Solutions
Check out the magic on Instagram - @JESS.POYNTER
Make an impact on Facebook - @JPSTYLESOLUTIONS
Message 4 of 156
Square

Nice. Are you open to a call so we can learn more about your specific business needs? 

Message 5 of 156
Beta Member

I would also like to hear more about this... Can I get a call scheduled?

Message 6 of 156

Hi @seiderman 

Thank you for your response! That is a great idea.

Yup, I am open to a call--I could share our general field service workflow and what we have now in terms of a loyalty plan/membership at our business. Feel free to send me a DM.

Message 7 of 156
Square

Great! I'll reach out in a direct message to set up some time.

Thank!

Message 8 of 156
Super Seller

I Flipping LOVE the Loyalty program. It's been huge for me the last 2 years. After year 2 we've seen Loyalty customers spend on avg 208% MORE than non-loyalty and Visit 10.9 times vs 1.7 times for non-loyalty. It's been a major part of our strategy the last 2 years. 

One pain point for me is when there is an error or a refund, I have to manually adjust the points. On bigger ticket items this could be 100,000+ points. We give out 100 points for every $1 spent. I like the customer to have a larger # of points because it's more exciting.

Currently when manually adjusting the points I am limited to "Amount must be between 1 and 1000."

Manual Loyalty Adjustment.PNG

It is extremely tedious to do 1,000 at a time. Each time is 6 clicks (yes, I counted). Especially when it's on a bigger ticket items that could be 100,000+ points or 600+ clicks!!

Can we increase the limit or add a "custom amount"? & Can we have the points automatically removed when an order has been cancelled & refunded?

Thanks!

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://birrdi.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 9 of 156
Super Seller

Second this! We also use the $1 = 100 points accrual ratio and manually adding points to an account is a tedious process. Increasing the limit or allowing for a custom amount would be extremely helpful in streamlining this process for us.

MOGO Korean Fusion Tacos
eatmogo.com
IG: @eatmogo
Asbury Park Food Collective
asburyparkfood.co
IG: @asburyparkfood
Message 10 of 156
Square

@porktaco happy to enable this on your account as well!

Message 11 of 156
Square

Just to confirm, this has been turned on on your account. 

Message 12 of 156
Super Seller

Amazing! So helpful. Thank you!

MOGO Korean Fusion Tacos
eatmogo.com
IG: @eatmogo
Asbury Park Food Collective
asburyparkfood.co
IG: @asburyparkfood
Message 13 of 156
Square

Hey @LukeNieuw,

Appreciate you sharing this feedback with us directly. Have some good news on both of these requests. For the first part, we just pushed out a change that’ll allow us to override this limitation for some accounts. Went ahead and enabled this on your account, so you should be able to adjust points as needed through your Square Dashboard by the end of day today. On the second request, automated point adjustments for refunds should already be possible. Assuming the issues you were running into here were directly related to the large point adjustments. Let me know if you’re still running into problems though.

Message 14 of 156
Super Seller

That's Fantastic News! Thanks so much 🙂 

Luke Nieuwland
Owner/Operator
https://www.whiskyrun.com/
Co-Founder
https://birrdi.com/
Co-Founder
https://www.lakeeffect.ca/
Message 15 of 156
Super Seller

I'm very interested in the loyalty program...it's on my list to start this year so I'm here for all the info.

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 16 of 156
Super Seller

Jump on board, you'll be glad you did. Think about what you want to accomplish with the program. It's more than a simple reward tool, can you craft the program to increase the average ticket, incentivize more frequent visits, leverage the increased use of your most profitable services...

Spend some time thinking about what you really want to accomplish so you set the program up to work in your favor the first time and connect the campaigns best able to help you accomplish your goals. 

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 17 of 156
Super Seller

Thanks so much...Glad to know I can craft it to what I want to accomplish.

Jacqueline
Message 18 of 156
Square

Hey @JUYBoutique20,

Thanks for joining. Let us know if you have any specific questions. Otherwise, here's a good overview of how to get started with Square Loyalty.

Message 19 of 156
Super Seller

Thanks, I'll definitely have a look...

Jacqueline
Message 20 of 156
Super Seller

Loyalty is a great way to increase revenue. Tiers might be a great option for your shoppers as well to promote repeat shopping. For example, if someone purchases between $100 and $500 in a year you earn x points per dollar; between $501 and $900 is 2x points per dollar; and $901-$1500 is 3x points per dollar. Just an idea. 

No matter what you do, Loyalty will be a great addition for you! 

Jess
Hair Designer | Certified Trichologist

Visit My Website - JP Style & Solutions
Check out the magic on Instagram - @JESS.POYNTER
Make an impact on Facebook - @JPSTYLESOLUTIONS
Message 21 of 156