x
Admin

Square Loyalty Q&A: Ask our product team anything about Square Loyalty 🤝

Hello Seller Community — hope your February is off to a good start!

On Thursday, February 17th, @seiderman (Product Manager) and @cspillane (Product Marketing Manager) hosted a deep dive into the world of loyalty. Together, they answered questions from “How can I drive more success from my loyalty program?” to “What features are on the horizon?” — we want to help you grow your business with Square Loyalty. We'll share a summary of best practices and address the main themes that came up on this day, and mark it as a Best Answer as soon as possible.

A few example questions:

• How can I configure my Square Loyalty program to increase engagement?
  • What's the best way to increase awareness about my loyalty program?
  • If I could do "_______" with Square Loyalty, it would make a big difference for my business.

El_Sancho_2699_TB_01_Medium.jpg

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 156
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to join the Loyalty Q&A! 

We thoroughly enjoyed the conversations, and hope your questions were answered. Our #1 goal as a product team is to iterate Square Loyalty to better support the needs of your business; thus, sharing your experiences with us make a huge difference in helping our team prioritize the right things — so thank you again! 

In closing, I’d love to do a quick recap on 3 key themes we saw pop up frequently: 

• Loyalty Promotions: The requests for one-off or recurring promotions (e.g. 2x points during happy hour, 5 bonus points for coming in on X day) were rampant, and we’re excited to share that we have this feature coming to you shortly! In fact, Beta Testing kicked off this week, so please let us know if you’d like to be given early access as a tester. Ultimately, Loyalty Promotions will assist with the following: 

• Driving repeat visits and sales by incentivizing buyers outside of your typical “spend and get” program structure
    • Encouraging specific buyer behaviors
    • Proactively generating business (i.e. driving more traffic to your business on a typically “slow” day)

• Front-of-transaction enrollment, check-in, and reward redemption: A solution is coming in early Spring that will enable your customers to enroll, check-in, and see their current rewards — all in advance of completing the transaction (and without the cashier having to ask for the customer details upfront). Stay tuned as we’ll be sure to announce the launch to all sellers using Square Register/X2, Square for Restaurants, Square for Retail, and Square Appointments!

• Adjusting points balance when a return/exchange is processed: Clarification on this topic came up a handful of times, and I’m happy to report that Square Loyalty automatically returns the points earned on a transaction when a refund is processed (or adjusts the points balance if an exchange occurs). 

In addition to the Loyalty Promotions Beta that kicked off this week, we’re also looking for sellers to interview around employee-specific tools and reporting for Loyalty. If you’d like to be involved, please reach out to myself or @seiderman.

Again, we appreciate your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates. 

Ciara Spillane
Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Square
Square Loyalty

View Best Answer >

Message 148 of 156
155 REPLIES 155
Square

Best Answer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to join the Loyalty Q&A! 

We thoroughly enjoyed the conversations, and hope your questions were answered. Our #1 goal as a product team is to iterate Square Loyalty to better support the needs of your business; thus, sharing your experiences with us make a huge difference in helping our team prioritize the right things — so thank you again! 

In closing, I’d love to do a quick recap on 3 key themes we saw pop up frequently: 

• Loyalty Promotions: The requests for one-off or recurring promotions (e.g. 2x points during happy hour, 5 bonus points for coming in on X day) were rampant, and we’re excited to share that we have this feature coming to you shortly! In fact, Beta Testing kicked off this week, so please let us know if you’d like to be given early access as a tester. Ultimately, Loyalty Promotions will assist with the following: 

• Driving repeat visits and sales by incentivizing buyers outside of your typical “spend and get” program structure
    • Encouraging specific buyer behaviors
    • Proactively generating business (i.e. driving more traffic to your business on a typically “slow” day)

• Front-of-transaction enrollment, check-in, and reward redemption: A solution is coming in early Spring that will enable your customers to enroll, check-in, and see their current rewards — all in advance of completing the transaction (and without the cashier having to ask for the customer details upfront). Stay tuned as we’ll be sure to announce the launch to all sellers using Square Register/X2, Square for Restaurants, Square for Retail, and Square Appointments!

• Adjusting points balance when a return/exchange is processed: Clarification on this topic came up a handful of times, and I’m happy to report that Square Loyalty automatically returns the points earned on a transaction when a refund is processed (or adjusts the points balance if an exchange occurs). 

In addition to the Loyalty Promotions Beta that kicked off this week, we’re also looking for sellers to interview around employee-specific tools and reporting for Loyalty. If you’d like to be involved, please reach out to myself or @seiderman.

Again, we appreciate your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates. 

Ciara Spillane
Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Square
Square Loyalty
Message 148 of 156
Super Seller

@cspillane Would love the Beta Test the new loyalty features

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 149 of 156
Square

Hey @GourmetOnWheels,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Just wanted to confirm that you were added to the beta group. You should now see the option to create a Loyalty Promotion in the Loyalty section of Dashboard. Let us know if you have any feedback.

Message 150 of 156

Hi,

Not sure if it has been mentioned before but quicker sing in for customers would be better ie Via QR code which can be stored in the customers wallet on there phone similar to other app based loyalty plug ins.

Many Thanks

Message 151 of 156

Virtual loyalty for clients receiving a discount when someone they refer buys something, as well as POS. That would be fabulous. 

Message 152 of 156
Beta Member

I’m in!

Message 153 of 156
Square

Hi @Nolanryan,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Just wanted to confirm that you were added to the beta group. You should now see the option to create a Loyalty Promotion in the Loyalty section of Dashboard. Let us know if you have any feedback.

Message 154 of 156
Beta Member

I have been using Square Loyalty for a month now and here are my questions and comments.  We are a bowling alley that has pizza sales.

1.  Signing up is easy but, it only asks for their phone number.  We are currently using paper punch cards so we have to go in and manually add stars to their account.  That is hard to do without a name.

2.  We are only offering stars on Pizza and Wings as that is how our old system is and that is what works best for us for right now.  Whenever I add a new item it is automatically added to the loyalty program.  I wish we could either have a toggle switch on the item creation screen to choose if it qualifies or let us choose which category qualifies.  Right now you have to choose what doesn't qualify.

3.  I want to tourn off the redeem reward after they have paid.  I wish there was an easier way to show them the reward before they pay.  I know we can go in and look them up by phone number but I wish that on the pay screen things were reversed so it asked for the rewards phone number before payment so that it would streamline things a little.

Message 155 of 156
Square

Hey @Sunflowerrec,

Appreciate you sharing this feedback. Below is more detail on each of your questions / feedback:

• Making additional data collection (e.g. first and last name) for Loyalty sign ups is something the team is actively looking at. While I don’t have any specific updates right now, we’re hoping to rollout some improvements in this area in the coming months. 
  • That’s a great suggestion. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you only offer points on pizza and wings?
  • Just to confirm, which device are you using to process payments? Are you using Square Register?
Message 156 of 156