x
Alumni

Live Q&A: Ask us anything about Team Management

Hi Sellers,

On July 25th from 11am-12pm PST, we hosted a Live Q&A all about managing your team with the revamped Team Management product! We had Corey Seiderman, Product Manager from the Team Management team, here to answer your questions.

@seiderman is on the product team for Square Team Management (formerly known as Employee Management), which includes permissions, timecards, and team reporting. Prior to this role, he led the Release Operations team which focused the reliability and predictability of the Square Point of Sale app release process. 

A couple example questions:

• How does the update to Team Management affect my current Employee Management subscription?
  • How do I know which tier to I need to best manage my team: Free Team Management or Team Plus?
  • What’s are the biggest benefits of using timecards with Square Team Management? 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 3.02.51 PM.png

Message 1 of 48
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Live Q&A: Ask us anything about Team Management

Hi everyone - thanks for taking the time to leave your comments here. We appreciate your feedback and our product team is closely watching this thread, especially since @seiderman will be here to answer all your questions more fully on the 25th.

For those of you with one employee or one level of access, you can configure Team Management so that you are not being charged at all. The new system allows for a free "Team Permissions" role that you can add as many employees as you want. To see which features are available in the free vs. paid version, check out the chart on the product's landing page (click 'See Pricing Information').

Let me know if you have any specific questions about this, and I'll leave the other ones for Corey's response next week.

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Thanks everyone for participating in our Q&A. Really enjoyed reading and responding to all the questions you have on Team Management. Hearing feedback directly from our sellers is vital to our continued efforts to improve the product. To close out, I wanted to highlight a couple things based on the questions asked:

Get started with Team Management for free

With the introduction of Team Management, you can now take advantage of POS integrated tracking and time card reporting for free! On top of that, Team Permissions allows you to control your entire team’s access to the point of sale and Dashboard. To learn more on how to get started with our free tier, check out the Support Center

Pricing change timeline

Just a reminder that any current subscriber has until 12/31 to decide which tier is right for them. Until that time, you will retain access to all paid features included in Team Plus at your current employee based rate. For more on what’s included in each tier, check out our feature breakdown.

More feedback!

While this is the end of our live Q&A, this should not be the end of the discussion! Please feel free to tag me directly in your future posts on any other questions or ideas you have. I also look forward to setting up another Q&A in the not so distant future. 

Thanks again everyone, and feel free to continue posting/replying to questions. Happy to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 43 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Square

@plumbfarms, @oatbean looks like @Cosgrove already pointed you in the right direction. If anything else comes up, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Message 22 of 48

Hi

Sorry, I feel really out of the loops on these changes. I really need the filter by employee option to reappear foe sales reporting without having to be charged a monthly flat rate. We use square for our farm products at farmers markets. We use the email log ins for our markets and need to pull sales reports by markets. We don’t even have employees but use the “employee management” to identify markets on the report.  Additionally when we do have someone help us sell at a market they get paid commission which is impossible to know I

if all sales are combined. We’ve done four markets this weekend and only have combined sales 🤬  please help.  We run in tight margins too and this flat rate to get what was once complimentary is not pleasant and hindering our business

Message 23 of 48
Square

Hi @solseeker, definitely want to help you protect your margins! Since you don’t have actual team members, it sounds like you’d be better served through our location management features. Instead of relying on employee reporting, I’d recommend creating a separate location for each market. Once created, you’ll be able to filter your reports (and even receive separate email summaries) for each of the different places you sell at. For more information on how to set up locations, check out this Support Center article.

Message 24 of 48

@seiderman 

We are two independently employed hairstylists. We share one Square account and we have it set up so that we each have our own separate "locations" to process our respective payments through .  We have no employees.  Does the new change mean that we will have to start paying $35 per person to maintain our 2 locations? 

We really love Square and have the Square stand and chip reader that makes it super sleek, easy and convenient to check out our clients.  This would really price us out of using Square, if so! 

Message 25 of 48
Square

Hi @Myersmckenzie, while a Team Plus subscription is required for team member reporting, you can continue to filter reports by each of your locations for free. Hope this helps, but let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Message 26 of 48

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to answer questions!  I'm curious about my own situation -- I have two locations with one employee each (total of 2 employees) and right now my cost is $10/month for the timecard tracking.  I do pay each employee a different wage and one location accepts tips.

This new structure seems really disadvantageous from a pricing perspective for me.  From what I understand, the free tier would not allow me to pay them different rates.

If that is correct, my monthly cost will rise by $60 for something that works fine right now with no new added functionality for my needs.  Is it possible I am misunderstanding?

Alex

Message 27 of 48
Square

Hi there,

You sound like a good candidate for the free tier. For free, you can pay each employee a single wage and track their time (previously a paid feature), even if those employees' wages are different from each other. The paid feature (multiple wages) is if you wanted to pay the same employee 2+ different wages (e.g. if someone works as a server sometimes, but as a bartender other times and get paid different amounts). Hope that helps clarify. Please let us know if you still have any concerns or extra questions, happy to help.

Thanks,

Chris

Message 28 of 48

Hi Chris, thanks for the information. It does sound like the free tier will work out for me. I appreciate the clarification on features. 

Message 29 of 48
Square

Glad @Cosgrove was able to help you @mapleleafroaste. Let em know if you have any other questions or concerns.  

Message 30 of 48

feel so let down. this morning I went to run reports and calculate commissions for employees. Well can't do that anymore! Do you want me not to use square payroll anymore? If i can't get the data I need that I can't use your services.

Way to not let anyone know this in advance and hide the fact that youve taken away features.

also, even if you download csv files from transactions you have taken away which employee accepted the payment. obviously this is a deliberate act on your part to take away features

Message 31 of 48
Square

Hi @webnola - The update from Employee Management to Team Management restructured our product into two tiers: one paid (Team Plus) and one free. Within each tier we aim to provide a compelling offering, relative to the tier’s respective price point. In our free tier, we now offer time tracking, time card reporting, and one free set of permissions (Team Permissions) for point of sale and Dashboard at no cost to you. However, for more advanced features, such as team member sales reporting, you must be subscribed to our paid tier. While we recognize that this is a significant change, this update is designed to better serve the wide variety of sellers that need help managing their team. 

Message 32 of 48

I noticed you still are referring to Team Members as "Employees" within the forms under this utility.   Your overview is correct--there are loose "team members" who are not to be classified as "employees."    Please use the more general term "team member" or similar  throughout, unless the person is specifically set up for payroll purposes.  Just because I add someone for temporary or periodic access, doesn't make them my legal employee. "Employee" is legalized term.

Message 33 of 48
Square

Agreed @bacomputer! We made the switch to ‘Team Management’ to better represent the variety of individuals working for or with our sellers’ businesses. You should now see this update reflected throughout the product.

Message 34 of 48
Beta Member

I need to give a team member access to:

https://squareup.com/dashboard/apps/my-apps

I can't see where under Roles, what permission I select to give them access? 

Message 35 of 48
Square

Hi @square_marc! Currently, you are unable to delegate App management to a team member. Signing up and managing app connections must be done by the account owner.

Message 36 of 48
Beta Member

It is not signing up and managing app connection, but for one of my apps, it is the only way to access the app's dashboard. The app relies on Square's login procedure for authentication.

I was told that giving the employee the role of "Administrator" is a solution?

Message 37 of 48
Admin

@square_marc

Only the Owner account has access to My Apps and App Integration at this time.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 38 of 48

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:  Square Employee Management

The Square Employee Management is a stupid service. When a company just needs to just have a office manger, bookkeeper or CPA access to the system to take care of payroll or processes credit cards from our website. No other company Changes $35 a month to add on person to this role. Not Stripe, PayPal or braintree.

Message 39 of 48
Square

Hi @volumedjs, it actually sounds like our free tier would be a great fit for you. Using Team Permissions, you can give your office manager, bookkeeper, and CPA the same level of access for free. You can learn more on how to get started with Team Permissions in our Support Center.

Message 40 of 48

Talked to tech support and they said only POS system is free. Access to the dash board is $35 a month.

Message 41 of 48
Square

It sounds like you were given incorrect information. Team Permissions can be configured for both dashboard and POS for the free tier. I can have someone from our team follow up with you via email if anything is unclear. 

Message 42 of 48