x
Admin

Photo Studio Q&A: Learn to create high-quality eCommerce images with the Square Photo Studio app 📸

Your products are ready for their closeup!

Landingpage_gif.gif

What: We recently updated the Square Photo Studio app with additional styling features including shadow editing, level editing such as exposure and contrast, and the ability to change your images layout through size, position, and rotation tools. The app enables you to sync a photograph with your Square items or create links for your social media channels that let your followers shop directly on Facebook and Instagram.

Who: @johnobc on the Square Photo Studio product team answered questions about the app, and addressed feedback from sellers on how it's going with the app so far.

When: This Q&A took place on Wednesday, April 27, at 1:00pm PDT / 4:00pm EDT

A few example questions:

• What are the tips and tricks to getting the perfect photo with Square Photo Studio?
  • If I could do "_______" with Photo Studio, that would make setting up my inventory so much easier.
  • How do I turn a photograph into a shoppable link?
  • What’s the best way to use the different style options in the app?

Note: We can't share specific details on our product roadmaps, though this information will be helpful as we continue to make improvements.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 91
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

I hope I was able to answer your questions and help with any photography tips —the experiences you've shared will also help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

As we close out this event, we wanted to do a recap on three themes that came up frequently:

• Android support - it’s really helpful to see how many of you want an Android version of the app. Thank you again for posting here and letting us know the demand
  • Photography tips for different items - there were a few specific questions about how to best photograph different items. If there’s a theme here it’s that using natural, even light, a neutral background, and reducing shadows will lead to the best results. Shadows end up being the enemy of our background removal model - so the more you’re able to fill in gaps around the product the better the app will perform. There’ll be improvements coming here soon as well!
  • Text, logos, and watermarks - there were a few feature requests around adding text, logos, and watermarks to images. This is something we definitely want to do and the feedback here has been helpful to prioritize these features

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to improve the Photo Studio app based on your business needs.   

For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates and, if you’re using the app, make sure to turn on push notifications. We’re working to develop and add features pretty quickly and we’d love any feedback as you try out new versions!

View Best Answer >

Message 85 of 91
90 REPLIES 90
Square

Thanks for the question and posting in this thread. I tried to answer this in my reply to @Sugarandgeek — have a look here for more information.

Message 22 of 91

Will this be available for Android? If so, when?

Message 23 of 91
Square

Thanks for the question and posting in this thread. No ETA yet - I tried to answer this with a bit more detail in my reply to @Sugarandgeek  

Have a look here for more information.

Message 24 of 91
Beta Member

Can you please add a solid black backround to the options after the item is shot? Would be wonderful. Thanks!

Message 25 of 91
Square

We do have a solid black background! If you select the ‘basic’ or ‘color’ style preset in the app, click edit, select background and then select the eye dropper, you can choose any color you want. The HEX code for solid black is 000000.

Message 26 of 91
Beta Member

It's 2022, can we stop favoring apple products already and recognize that there are just as many Android users? 

Message 27 of 91

Any way we can import existing pictures into the app, instead of having to take ALL new photos?

Message 28 of 91
Square

Right now you can also use any images that are on your iPhone’s camera roll so you don’t have to take new images. We’re thinking about ways to allow you to easily leverage photos that are already in your Square catalog within the app - is that something you'd be interested in?

Message 29 of 91

My staff has an Iphone, but I have an android.  Will it be available?  Please 🙂

Message 30 of 91
Square

Thanks for the question and posting in this thread. I tried to answer this in my reply to @Sugarandgeek  

Message 31 of 91

Your ad says iPhone, Can you use an android?

Message 32 of 91
Square

Thanks for the question and posting in this thread. Unfortunately the app is only available on iPhone. I tried to give some context in my reply to @Sugarandgeek  

Message 33 of 91

need this on android. when will it be available?

Message 34 of 91
Square

Thanks for the question and posting in this thread. I tried to answer this in my reply to @Sugarandgeek

Message 35 of 91

Just want to chime in with the others so you will know there are many android users out there who would like this app as well. 

Message 36 of 91
Square

Thanks for the question and posting in this thread - we definitely hear the requests. I tried to answer this and give some additional context in my reply to @Sugarandgeek 

Message 37 of 91

Can these photos also be used on the square terminal and stand?

Can the photos be connected to the items list?

Message 38 of 91
Square

Yes they can! That’s one of the big benefits of the app. Once you take and style your photo you’ll have the option to add the photo to Square. This will enable you to either add a photo to an existing item or create a new item directly from your photo. This should then populate throughout any surface at Square where images are shown.

Message 39 of 91

I'm taking pictures of live-edge picture frames and am getting a bit of blurring around the edges. What can I do to correct this?

Message 40 of 91
Square

There are a few things you can try. First, make sure you’re using a background that contrasts with your frame - so like a white piece of posterboard or a wooden table. Next, try to reduce shadows around where your frame hits the table - oftentimes the spot where the background hits the object is where there are issues and you get the "blurring."

Finally, if you use an existing photo from your camera roll we have a tool that allows you to make fine tuned edits to the background removal. We’re adding this for images you capture shortly.

Message 41 of 91

What’s the best way to capture photos of apparel? Is ghost mannequin an option that would be suitable for the Square Photo Studio app?

Message 42 of 91