x
Admin

Photo Studio Q&A: Learn to create high-quality eCommerce images with the Square Photo Studio app 📸

Your products are ready for their closeup!

Landingpage_gif.gif

What: We recently updated the Square Photo Studio app with additional styling features including shadow editing, level editing such as exposure and contrast, and the ability to change your images layout through size, position, and rotation tools. The app enables you to sync a photograph with your Square items or create links for your social media channels that let your followers shop directly on Facebook and Instagram.

Who: @johnobc on the Square Photo Studio product team answered questions about the app, and addressed feedback from sellers on how it's going with the app so far.

When: This Q&A took place on Wednesday, April 27, at 1:00pm PDT / 4:00pm EDT

A few example questions:

• What are the tips and tricks to getting the perfect photo with Square Photo Studio?
  • If I could do "_______" with Photo Studio, that would make setting up my inventory so much easier.
  • How do I turn a photograph into a shoppable link?
  • What’s the best way to use the different style options in the app?

Note: We can't share specific details on our product roadmaps, though this information will be helpful as we continue to make improvements.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 91
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

I hope I was able to answer your questions and help with any photography tips —the experiences you've shared will also help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

As we close out this event, we wanted to do a recap on three themes that came up frequently:

• Android support - it’s really helpful to see how many of you want an Android version of the app. Thank you again for posting here and letting us know the demand
  • Photography tips for different items - there were a few specific questions about how to best photograph different items. If there’s a theme here it’s that using natural, even light, a neutral background, and reducing shadows will lead to the best results. Shadows end up being the enemy of our background removal model - so the more you’re able to fill in gaps around the product the better the app will perform. There’ll be improvements coming here soon as well!
  • Text, logos, and watermarks - there were a few feature requests around adding text, logos, and watermarks to images. This is something we definitely want to do and the feedback here has been helpful to prioritize these features

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to improve the Photo Studio app based on your business needs.   

For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates and, if you’re using the app, make sure to turn on push notifications. We’re working to develop and add features pretty quickly and we’d love any feedback as you try out new versions!

View Best Answer >

Message 85 of 91
90 REPLIES 90
Square

Ghost mannequins either typically require special mannequins or multiple photos stitched together to get the effect - so it’s not really something we can handle within the app. If you’re looking for ghost mannequin images, our physical Photo Studio service is great for those.

In the app, lay flat apparel works really well or even photography on models. The one tip I’d share is just to make sure your clothing is wrinkle free for lay flat - it makes a huge difference.

Message 43 of 91

I love the app and find it easy to use!  I usually use four views of my products , Top, Front, Side and Back.  I only know how to do this by opening a "NEW SESSION" for each view.  Then I have to move all four views one at a time to my Google Drive to do further editing or forwarding.  Is there a way to move multiple views in one session?

Thanks

Message 44 of 91
Square

Glad you like the app and that Google Drive flow doesn’t sound like the optimal experience. You’re correct that you have to do a new session for each view. We’re working on adding multiple angles per item so we hope to have that soon. Here’s an early mockup of what that might look like - any feedback?

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 8.10.33 AM.png

Message 45 of 91

Hello. How do I take several pictures for one item on the photo app?  It seems to only take one photo for an item when I need several. 

Message 46 of 91
Square

See the answer above - I would love any feedback on our designs for adding multiple images to an item!

Message 47 of 91

Is there a photo app for Android users?

Message 48 of 91
Square

Thanks for the question and posting in this thread. We do not have an Android app yet - I tried to answer this in a bit more detail in my reply to @Sugarandgeek 

Message 49 of 91

How can I edit a different picture? It will not let me select a different photo. 

Message 50 of 91
Square

That doesn't sound right! Are you able to reply here with a screenshot of the issue you're seeing?

Message 51 of 91
Beta Member

Can we have some better choices of gradation for the background?

Message 52 of 91
Square

Great question - gradients are actually our least used style preset so we’ve been thinking about how we can improve it. Do you have any examples you could post here of how you’d want it to look?

Message 53 of 91

when will it be available for Android ?

Message 54 of 91
Square

Thanks for the question and posting in this thread. No ETA yet - I tried to give a bit more detail in my reply to @Sugarandgeek 

Have a look here for more information.

Message 55 of 91

how would I show a product with several color variations?

Message 56 of 91
Square

I think the best way to do this would be to photograph each color variation individually. When you do this, try to keep the images as consistent as possible so they match - the effect goes a long way when you have multiple colors of the same item.

Message 57 of 91

When will this app be available for Android?

Message 58 of 91
Square

Thanks for the question and posting in this thread. No ETA yet - I tried to give a bit more detail in my reply to @Sugarandgeek 

Message 59 of 91
Super Seller

What is the best way to show customers the relative size of an item (given a white background)? 

Message 60 of 91
Square

A few suggestions - the first is to resize the item in the frame and then move it toward the bottom of the frame so it looks like it's sitting at the bottom of the background. This can work really well if you have multiple sized items on your site and you’re looking to showcase the height difference. If that doesn’t work for you, it can be a good idea to include something for scale - this could either be a hand (so holding the item) or a quarter or ruler if the item’s particularly small. That can be kind of challenging with the background removal but it’s worth a try.

In general, I love sites that use more empty space in the frame to show off size differences and with our layout options and drop shadows, that's really easily achievable with the app.

Message 61 of 91

When will the app be available for Android phones? 

Message 62 of 91
Square

Message 63 of 91