x
Beta Member

Just how customisable is Square Online / Weebly ?

Hi,

I want to create a professional site around square. We currently use Square POS, Self Serve (online scan QR code) ordering for table service and are using Square Online for our website.

I am a little disappointed with the online side of things. I want to make a beautiful site which is not obviously just a Square e-commerce site on first glance but will allow us to sell some products online.

I am wondering if I should branch out for the online website to Squarespace or Wordpress or? and somehow add our items for sale within that site?

I was holding off doing that as it adds extra cost but if its the only way, then so be it?

Look forward to any tips or hints,

Thanks

D

Message 1 of 8
Report Inappropriate Content
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hey @Dirky,

Thanks for your post!

It really comes down to what you're personally looking for and whether the Square Online platform can fulfil that need. As a template based website builder you will notice some similarities between Square Online websites, though the same can be said for most web store building platforms that use common design elements. If you're currently using the free version with the square.site domain, you can replace this with a custom domain on the paid plans.

I'd say the best way to get an idea of what the platform can do is to check out this US Community thread where sellers have shared there Square Online websites. There should be enough examples in here to give you an idea of what can be achieved with the platform!

Let us know if you have any follow up questions 🙂

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8
Beta Member

Thanks for your reply @Seamus . One question I have.

I am assuming the self-serve ordering (customer scans QR code at table etc) is part of the Square online package?

I'm wondering if there is a way of continuing to use that, but maybe use Wordpress and woo commerce (or similar)

to create a unique website?

Currently I have my custom domain working with Square online.

Appreciate any help/tips!

Thanks

D

Message 3 of 8
Admin

Just jumping in for Seamus here, @Dirky!

That's right - the self-serve QR code ordering is part of the Square Online site. You can definitely continuing to use the self-serve feature independently alongside a site hosted on WooCommerce and Wordpress.

If you prefer to have your custom domains move to your new site, you can use Square free subdomain for your self-serve site. This will free up your custom domains and you'll be able to connect it to your new site.

What this means is that customers will be able to browse your new site as normal but when they scan the QR code to place an order, they'd be direct to your free Square Online site instead. So effectively, there will be two sites working alongside each other. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 4 of 8
Beta Member

Hi @tranguyen 

Thanks for stepping in. I understand what you are saying, so I will still need to pay for the online square but I will only really use it for the self-serve.

I've been looking a bit at wordpress with WooCommerce, it seems there is an integration with square but it looks like they use their own payment processing which is a fair bit higher than square, do you know if that is the case?

If it is the case, then what is the integration, is it to keep inventory and customers in sync?

Thanks

D

Message 5 of 8
Admin

If you move the Square Online site to a free domain and take away the custom domain, you wouldn't need to pay for a subscription to use the self-serve function. Instead, you'd only pay when a payment was processed through Square.

The WooCommerce + Square integration lets you process payments through Square, so Square's transaction fees will still apply when orders are placed on your WooCommerce store @Dirky.

Tra
Message 6 of 8
Beta Member

Hi @tranguyen thanks for your reply.

Is it possible to have just the self-serve ordering back to the square free domain?

I'd then move the remainder of the site to maybe shop.xyz.com and setup the wordpress site on xyz.com

Not sure if this is possible, I could do with printing some new QR codes ahead of any changes and just put this back on the private domain.

Thanks

D

Message 7 of 8
Admin

Hey @Dirky, I just want to make sure understand this correctly before I advise further. Are you looking to have just the self-serve ordering menu on the free domain, but everything else on the website to stay on a custom domain, is that correct?

Tra
Message 8 of 8