x
Super Seller

Online Store, decimal values?

Now that items can be sold in fractions of a unit (with a decimal value)... I'm starting to wonder how the Square Online Store would work with items that are sold by weight. I saw this article explaining

"Items set up to be sold in decimal quantities will be available on your Online Store but you can only sell them as whole numbers online."

I'm not sure I understand what this means though. I have never used the Square Online site before. But it seems that items I have setup to be sold in decimal quantities do not show up in the Online Store that I have messed around with.

This makes me curious if the new decimal quantities work with @Ecwid store and their Unlimited plan syncing inventory w/ a physical location... We use Ecwid on our website and a Square integration for payments. We didn't ever need to sync inventory before because we couldn't track items by weight anyway (not with Square).

Now that that's all changed, I'm trying to find the easiest way possible for us to sell items by weight (like fresh produce) online for instore pickup.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Thanks for reaching out about this - I am wondering if by "items I have setup to be sold in decimal quantities do not show up in the Online Store that I have messed around with" means that the items are not showing up at all in your online store, or if they are showing up, are only able to be sold in whole quantities?

The latter should be true - that you can sell any items with quantity on the online store, but those with decimal quantities will only be sold as whole number amounts and not in partial quantities (say, you will sell 2 yards of fabric instead of 1.9 yards of fabric).

As far as Ecwid goes, I would certainly reach out to them to see if they would support that type of inventory integration.

Let me know if this makes sense. Thank you!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 16

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Decimal-Quantities-Beta-is-live/td-p/119361

Are there plans to develop the decimal function that is on the ios terminal on the webstore? This is a great function in store - I run a fabric shop and it's so useful to be able to sell by 0.1 metre. 

The square webstore doesn't seem to have the same functionality though so I can't use it for inventory management.

It needs to be joined up.

Thanks

Sarah

Message 3 of 16

Hey there! Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community. I've merged your post with an existing thread so we can track all requests for it. At this time, decimal quantities for the online store is not available and I still do not have a timeline for when this will be released, but I will be sure to post any updates in the community as soon as I get them!

AshleyK
Message 4 of 16
Beta Member

The decimal values in Square POS have made my life 100% easier, and I am also interested to know when they will be available in the online store. Right now, I have to tell customers to call for mail order or curbside if they want fractional yardages of fabric (which is almost always).

Message 5 of 16

Hey @shoneycutt,

Thanks for the added input on this feature request!

I don't have a timeline on when this will be available but I would encourage you to check out our Beta Community to join and potentially get access to new features first when we test them out.

Ashley C
Message 6 of 16

Has there been any change to this? I also help a fabric shop that does a fair amount of sales, but they sell by the meter. Also getting new stock each bolt of fabric is 13.7m and them not being able to receive new stock via the app (Even though the decimal point shows in the keyboards bottom left corner) thats a problem. it would show up as 137. I hope there has been a fix for this!

Message 7 of 16
Beta Member

I am not able to reconcile my online and offline inventories because of the units I sell in.  I sell in metres, and parts of metres, but online they cannot order in decimals, such as 0.5m.  It must be whole numbers.  Thus, if it have 0.9m in stock, it shows as out of stock online, and I have to sell in some other unit, and inventory management does not work to any precision (I can't use 1 unit type offline and another online).  Currently, I am selling in units of 0.25m online, but this is not precise enough for proper inventory management, and nobody would normally order fabric by the centimetre, it's usually done in metre units, with decimals fully utilized.

This is making this very labour intensive because I have to run a separate inventory management software to keep track, and enter adjustments in 2 places constantly.  PLEASE bring decimal ordering online!  Also, printing to a regular printer- that is also holding my business back.

Message 8 of 16

Did you ever find a fix or anything about this? I am experiencing the exact same thing here!

Message 9 of 16

Hi @WoodenSpoolFabs - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏 

I'm happy to help but will need some more detail in order to better understand your question. Are you wondering if it's possible to sell Online Items in meters?

By default, each new item you create will have the unit type per item. When you set your unit type, you can choose from a list of preset units such as meters, ounces, or feet. You'll also be able to select unit types from both the metric and imperial systems. Learn more in our unit type FAQ.

Whenever you have a moment, please reply to this message with a little more information describing your technical issue or question. I’ll be sure to follow up as soon as possible.

Violet
Message 10 of 16
Beta Member

Just checking to see if the feature request for decimal values in the Online Store is in the works. This would be very helpful to our business as well, since we sell our product by the pound. 

Thanks! 

Message 11 of 16
Beta Member

I'm looking at moving everything, including in person sales and card processing to Shopify because I can get decimal support there. I would have to pay someone to build it, but I've lost so many sales in the past year because my customers can order online from other shops without the hassle of calling my shop.

Message 12 of 16

Any updates to decimal sales function?  We sell in hours and half hours and it's quite a pain when someone does 7.5 hours for example and we have to create a custom sale in the app instead of just adding 7.5 in the quantity.  This would be REALLY helpful to allow decimals sales!

Message 13 of 16

Hey there @fishingtripsBC 

We do not have updates regarding decimal values for online sales however In the meantime I could recommend creating a product labeled with the Half-hour price or using a coupon to discount the half-hour amount of a full-hour sale. 

I will pass your feedback to our product team for their visibility. 

JJ
Message 14 of 16

That's what I do.....custom items like that when people do "half" hours but it's truly a big pain and would be quite easy to have you guys allow decimals.  Can't image why that would not be a thing with square??

Message 15 of 16

Honestly, I've been with the company for several years and is the first time I hear someone request this for Online Sales (this is available in Square Point of Sale just not in Square Online) I do see others asking about it on this thread but to me its the first time I see this making sense as an online sale.

JJ
Message 16 of 16