x

Square refunding customer more than they paid

I run a wedding business. Customer booked a wedding for Oct 1 - total deposit $450.

After midnight, 5 days before her wedding, (after confirming her wedding 2 days before this), customer cancelled her wedding.

Website clearly says: no refunds if you cancel within 60 days.

Receipt she got via square says the same thing - no refunds if customer cancels within 60 days.

Customer cancelled via text. I offered her $100 as a gesture of goodwill. She accepted. I sent her $100 from my bank account. 

NOW, customer has demanded her credit card company give her all her money back. Square has decided they will! She's now getting $450 PLUS what I sent her back! She's making a profit  on this.

I have sent all documentation to square.

This isn't ok.

You don't get to cancel an event 5 days before it happens and get a full refund for ANYTHING, and my receipt and policy spells this out. 

help!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

I can't assist with this directly as I myself have never suffered a charge back. My advise would be to reach out to square directly and ask for escalation to a supervisor or above. I would also pressure for a full report as to why they approved the refund. Perhaps you need a more clear refund policy, I dont know. But the more information you can gather, the better you can protect yourself in the future.

Perhaps moving forward, you also consider deposits to be cash only due to your charge back experience?

Message 2 of 2