x

so much typing to find an order from a receipt or order confirmation

why is it so difficult to look up an order at the till from a receipt or the order page?

we have 100s of orders and need a quick solution at the till that doesn't require entering a name or long number.

A barcode for the order no on the page and receipt would work

A 6 digit alphanumeric code would work

QR code based on either would work

all of these could be done if we could script within <embed code> (not that anywhere says we can't) or access merge fields for the emails/pages.  But nothing works

Or am i missing something?

Message 1 of 4
Report Inappropriate Content
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hi @matt-errfc!

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community! 

So that we can discuss this further, would you mind letting me know which device you’re using as your till system? If you could also tell me if you’re using the standard Point of Sale, Square for Retail or Square for Restaurants. 

Thanks!

Message 2 of 4

Hi Sineaid - thanks for the welcome.

Standard POS as we are closest to a bar operationally.  We have an online site and for big events many purchases are made before the day for collection on the day (very few options) and on the day with just one option.  So the customer has the receipt on the phone to show us to look up the order and we need to move them as quickly through as possible.    The POS till works fine for a few customers but when you have hundreds a manual search is very slow.

Ideally both the customer order confirmation webpage and the receipt would contain a scannable bar/qr code for direct lookup on the till but this doesn't seem achievable.  I don't have the webpage to edit at all.  The email has a section to inject code but no ability to pick up the order number - ie passing to a barcode image generator.

I have had a quick look at webhooks to pick up the order.confirmed event as I could potentially send my own barcode in a second email.  however we are Azure based and I cant find an example for setting up the webhook properly, azure starts from creating the subscription and providing the callback URL - and not got much time to experiment.

Cheers, Matt.

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hi @matt-errfc , it looks like we missed your reply - I'm sorry for the delay!

Thank you for providing detailed information about your set-up and what you're looking at achieving. 

Adding a QR code or barcode to an order confirmation would be a feature request. I think it's a great idea, and I can definitely see how it would benefit sellers. I'll relay it to our Product team, and I would also suggest filing a feature request on our Ideate board

I've also had a look at our integrated partners and there doesn't seem to be a partner solution that would work in this case either.

We do have a feature that lets you identify a customer by scanning a QR code or a barcode at the till.

Instead of the QR code being associated with an order, it would be associated with a customer. You would be able to scan the code using your device or a barcode scanner, and view the customer's order history. 

It requires to manually setting up a code for each customer so this might not be a suitable workaround, but I thought I should still share it with you. 

Let me know if you have futher questions!

Message 4 of 4