x
Beta Member

Shipping Label - Integrate with Royal Mail Click and Drop

Royal Mail supports integration with various online stores and marketplaces

Integration with Square would be great so that shipping labels could be automatically created, and postage paid

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/click-how-to-guide.pdf

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11716/~/click-%26-drop---connect-your-ch...

Regards

Jools

Message 1 of 191
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Shipping Label - Integrate with Royal Mail Click and Drop

Hello everyone, this is Alex from the Square Online product team. We know how frustrating it is to have been told that a Royal Mail Click & Drop integration is on the roadmap for two years, and we're sorry that we haven't yet been able to launch this for you. Behind the scenes, we're in the process of making some fundamental changes to our shipping product, so we decided to build all shipping carrier integrations (not just Royal Mail) in a way that aligns with our long term strategy. This will take us time to fully execute. We also understand that you have to make decisions about how to operate your business, and that an expectation of a Royal Mail integration has been a key factor in choosing to continue using Square. Unfortunately, we don't have a concrete update that we can share with you on our plans or timeline for this today, but we'll be sure to post in this thread when our beta is ready for you. 

190 REPLIES 190
Super Seller

Headover to the Royal Mail feature request on the link below and add your support for a the integration to Square

Https://clickanddrop.uservoice.com 

(Don't look but they are working on an integration for Wix)

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 169 of 191
Beta Member

There is no point in requesting Royal Mail. It is not up to them to initiate the integration but wholly up to Square who, as others have said, don’t appear to be interested.

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 170 of 191
Super Seller

@tonydow @Jools @SGM1 @Andy1981 @BeOutsider 

Link below ideate feature request.

Integration-With-Royal-Mail-Click-and-Drop 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 171 of 191
Super Seller

I spoke with a UK Square team person yesterday and mentioned that there is a growing number of people asking for this integration. Mentioned that other service providers Shopify, WooCommerce, Bluepark, Onebuy, ebay, magneto,  Square Space and so own have this integration already and that UK companies using Square are at a competitive disadvantage. She asked why this would be and I responded that to fulfil 100 orders with the integration takes less than 5 mins, the same with Square would take all day cutting an pasting the orders over. I would call this a competitive disadvantage. She said she would forward the request to the appropriate team for consideration. 🤞

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 172 of 191
Beta Member

any updates

Message 173 of 191
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Hhibbard3D, thanks for your post. We currently do not have any updates on this feature request at this time. We'll be sure to update this thread once we do, though.

Let me know if you need anything else. Happy to help. 

Message 174 of 191
Beta Member

Just need an app that pulls the order and sends it to Royal Mail and back 

Message 175 of 191
Beta Member

working on something to allow royal mail  integration 

Message 176 of 191
Beta Member

# Import necessary libraries
import requests
import json

# Set the API endpoints for Square and Royal Mail
square_api_endpoint = "https://connect.squareup.com/v2"
royalmail_api_endpoint = "https://api.parcel.royalmail.com/api/v1"

# Set the Square API credentials and the Royal Mail API key
square_api_key = "YOUR_SQUARE_API_KEY"
royalmail_api_key = "YOUR_ROYALMAIL_API_KEY"

# Set the webhook endpoint for Square to receive notifications about new orders
square_webhook_endpoint = "https://your-server.com/square_webhook"

# Define a function to create an order in Royal Mail API and return the tracking number
def create_shipping_label(name, address):
# Define the request body to create a shipping label in Royal Mail API
request_body = {
"name": name,
"address": address
}

# Set the headers and authentication for the Royal Mail API request
headers = {
"Content-Type": "application/json",
"X-Api-Key": royalmail_api_key
}

# Send the request to create a shipping label in Royal Mail API and receive the tracking number
response = requests.post(f"{royalmail_api_endpoint}/shipping-labels", headers=headers, json=request_body)
tracking_number = response.json()["tracking_number"]

# Return the tracking number
return tracking_number

# Define a function to handle Square order webhooks and create a shipping label in Royal Mail API
def handle_square_order_webhook(payload):
# Get the order information from the payload
order_id = payload["data"]["object"]["id"]
name = payload["data"]["object"]["shipping_address"]["name"]
address = payload["data"]["object"]["shipping_address"]["address_line_1"]

# Create a shipping label in Royal Mail API and get the tracking number
tracking_number = create_shipping_label(name, address)

# Set the order note with the tracking number
order_note = f"Tracking number: {tracking_number}"

# Set the headers and authentication for the Square API request
headers = {
"Authorization": f"Bearer {square_api_key}"
}

# Define the request body to update the order note in Square API
request_body = {
"idempotency_key": f"update_order_{order_id}",
"order": {
"id": order_id,
"note": order_note
}
}

# Send the request to update the order note in Square API
response = requests.put(f"{square_api_endpoint}/orders/{order_id}", headers=headers, json=request_body)

# Return the response status code
return response.status_code

# Define a function to set up the Square webhook subscription
def setup_square_webhook_subscription():
# Set the headers and authentication for the Square API request
headers = {
"Authorization": f"Bearer {square_api_key}"
}

# Define the request body to create a webhook subscription in Square API
request_body = {
"idempotency_key": "create_subscription",
"type": "ORDER_UPDATED",
"subscription_data": {
"callback_url": square_webhook_endpoint,
"version": "1.0"
}
}

# Send the request to create a webhook subscription in Square API
response = requests.post(f"{square_api_endpoint}/v1/{square_api_key}/subscriptions", headers=headers, json=request_body)

# Return the response

Message 177 of 191

has it worked for you?

Where did you get the bearer token  / api key?

How did you authorise and obtain the bearer token  / api key?

How long is bearer token  / api key valid for?

Is the bearer token  / api key limited to so many sessions in a given period?

Thanks

Message 178 of 191
Beta Member

Hi. Your code looks awesome (to a non programmer apart from COBOL many years ago). I think Square should hire you! For context - is this a suggestion on how Square could implement the integration or something standalone that others could use. Thanks

Message 179 of 191
Beta Member

Thank you got a few variations of the code as-well wil upload to GitHub  I was thinking using a pi to connect to squareup Pull the customer order number to a computer let’s say a pi and the pi pushes it to Royal Mail click and drop etc  or auto export the csv and do the same 

Message 180 of 191
Beta Member

That sounds god but I must admit I don’t know the first thing about pulling and pushing to/from a pi. How / when would you see this code being triggered?

Message 181 of 191
Super Seller

Hi all @tonydow @Jools @Hhibbard3D @TheSpell @tariqc 

Royal Mail are having a virtual meet. Might be worth sitting on to see if they can help out/work with us on this?

Shape the Future of Click and Drop: Join Our Virtual Meeting

Dear valued Click and Drop customer,

We would like to invite you to a virtual meeting where we will be discussing the features you love about Click and Drop, the features you think are missing, and the features you would like to see in the future.

This is a unique opportunity to share your thoughts and ideas directly with our development team and help shape the future of the software. 

However, please note that we have a limited capacity of 50 customers, and attendance will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. The meeting is expected to last between 1-2 hours and will take place on the 18th of April between 14:00-16:00. We encourage you to prepare any questions or suggestions you may have beforehand to ensure that we can address them during the session.

If you are interested in attending and securing your spot, please RSVP to webinar@royalmail.com by the 7th of April. We will provide you with the virtual meeting details and any additional information you may need.

Thank you for being a valuable Click and Drop customer, and we look forward to hearing your feedback.

Best regards,

Click and Drop Development Team

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 182 of 191
Beta Member

this might help

Message 183 of 191
Super Seller

Hi @alexws , thank you for the update this is much appreciated.

I think some of the frustrations expressed and I also encounter these is that there are some basic requirements for an online retail business to function are not being addressed to their best. The frustrations are further compounded with lots of resource and energy from Square being directed towards new ‘sexy’ innovative developments and products but with little forward movement on the online basics. I did look briefly at a competitor service provider recently to see how Square compared and I have to say their basic online selling functionality seemed to be ticking the boxes for an online company compared to Square, which is frustrating from a business point as we are missing so many basic selling tools crucial for small businesses to succeed. It’s really tough going out there and will continue for some months and years ahead.

Having said this, Square offer great POS functionality, that far exceeds that of most of its competitors. It’s reassuring that the frustrations for Square Online are being heard and that Square Online has a plan it’s working on to help address these enabling businesses to succeed and more so reassuring that Square loyal users are hanging in there . 😁👍

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 184 of 191

Don't forget though, they've been telling us "any day now" on this thread for 3 years. Please don't hold your breath.

Message 185 of 191
Beta Member

On what basis do you think “the frustrations for Square Online are being heard and that Square Online has a plan it’s working on to help address these”. We have had statements over the last years saying it is being worked on and is imminent which have come to nothing.

Message 186 of 191
Super Seller

I must admit this has been rumbling on for sometime, frustrating and mildly entertaining but it would be nice to see some forward movement if it’s going to happen. I’m not really sure what the behind the scenes process is in prioritising projects, but I bet Square have a stack of requests in the pipeline, so I don’t envy the Square team this. I’m sure there must be a process, it may be perhaps that the integration is not considered a priority or a necessary requirement for Square. I would say though if Square is to remain competitive it needs to look towards its competitors to see where they are currently taking their products, dare I say they are integrated! 😲

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 187 of 191
Beta Member

It is now almost a year since the last post regarding Click & Drop Integration and still no sign of any movement on this.

Message 188 of 191
Admin

Hi @tonydow, thank you for posting.

I don't have more details to provide or a timeline to share at this stage, but I'll make sure to update you if the feature becomes available. 

In the meantime, our integrated partners Shippo and EasyShip can both connect with Royal Mail to help with the shipping process.  You'll find these partners on our Square App Marketplace.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 189 of 191