x

Online Order Tickets NOT Printing

Orders placed in my online store do not print to any of my kitchen or bar printers.  How do I enable printing?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 103
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey! Thanks so much for posting and I'm sorry to read the frustration regarding your online orders printing! I have merged your two posts together as the one you commented on from 2016 is outdated.

If you currently accept pickup orders on your iPad with the Square app and use a supported kitchen ticket printer, you can automatically print kitchen tickets after every order.

To enable automatic printing for pickup orders:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines on the bottom navigation bar.
  2. Tap Settings > Remote Orders.
  3. Toggle Print New Remote Orders on.
  4. Navigate back to Settings > Printers, and select your connected printer or create a new printer station.
  5. Turn Order Tickets on.
  6. Make sure to enable the item categories you’d like available for pickup.

Let me know if these steps help and if you have any other questions!! 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 103
102 REPLIES 102

“And another” ?  You have another printer?  We have the register not the iPad. I think that makes it different setting from what I am reading. I used the square with an iPad for 3 years and have had the register from square since December. I am finding some settings different. Maybe I am just missing it. Thank you for trying to help. I appreciate it. 

Message 22 of 103

I am having a similar issue with automatically printing online orders to the kitchen.

Direct keyed in orders to the POS Ipad/square stand work 100% of the time.
ie.  Key in items, take payment, print reciept> items automatically print in kitchen & ice cream

But when I get an online order it sits in the Order Que until someone notices it and presses
Order In Progress or something like that... I just want an order and print it and its done.

I have the printer settings as > Automatically Print Orders (on)

Automatically Print in Progress (off)

But no automatic printing of the online orders.
I can see the transaction and the order, but no auto print.

And I do not see any setting in Printers or anywhere else to differentiate the source of the order ie.  Take Out, Online or anything like noted above. 

What am I missing... 

We just opened two days ago and this is killing me... as some have printed without doing anything...  

Message 23 of 103
Beta Member

This is definitely an issue.  The tickets do not print with any reliable pattern.  Sometimes online orders print automatically, sometimes they don't print but a pop up happens on the screen (I am using the Square Register setup), and if they are made prior to our opening hours they never print and must be manually printed when we open. 

The auto print functionality would be awesome but an a minimum some standard form of behavior to expect would be great so we can plan accordingly but as is it behave erratically and must be monitored regularly to not miss orders

Message 24 of 103

I am on my 4th day and over 8 calls to square suport.   online orders randomly print automatically.

was going to delete app and reinstall then configure printers from scratch.

I believe there is a big or problem with the program as the orders show up in the pos and just dont auto print.   no sleep on ipad, printers all set to auto print tickets, iOS updated, date and time correct, and latest version of app.    orders direct from pos print 100% of time.  whatever triggers an order to print is not working.... 

An engineer needs to look at this..

printets are ethernet not wifi

Message 25 of 103

The auto-print functionality is critical for us. We have a very busy café, and auto-print used to work fine. It's only lately that we are having the auto-print problem.

I saw that Square Register had an "update" notice, so I updated and that update created another problem (the "charge" button disappears when a zero-dollar amount, $0.00, from loyalty discounts or a 100% custom discount was applied and the order would get stuck in limbo).

We reverted back to the "previous experience" and are back to being able to record orders for $0.00, but the auto-printing is still not working. Nor did it work under the update.

This probem is extremely serious for us, and I am sure others. We just do not have the bandwith to keep "checking" the online order tab to see if something came in. And today we had three customers who were not very happy that we did not have their order ready.

Please escalate this issue as a top priority!

Message 26 of 103
Beta Member

This behavior is exactly what has been happening to our registers lately.  We use Square in multiple locations with the register setup and I've had my staff calling me because the tickets randomly stopped auto printing for the most part, though it appears some do print as they should.  It's very frustrating, we need to be able to rely on our point of sale system! 

You guys got us all hooked on the online order setup once Covid hit and now nearly half of our orders are made online.  On a busy day it is simply impossible to regularly monitor the online orders tab.  This needs to be a sure fire reliable experience, please quit rolling out useless features and focus on the core product until it is fool proof!

Message 27 of 103
Beta Member

I don't see anything in my settings called "Remote Orders."  I see "Orders," but is that the same thing?  I have "Automatically print new orders" toggled.  It seems to work about half of the time.  The other half of the time, maybe the iPad is asleep or something, but I have to print manually. 

Message 28 of 103

Mine also prints about 50% of the time and when I go to print them manually sometimes they print and sometimes they dont. Its just frustrating and weird. 

Message 29 of 103

I had a lot of problems with printing online orders.   I will save all the hassles and tell you start with;

1) Updating your operating system to the latest version
2) Delete and reinstall the Square App
3) Change Settings on Ipad to Never Go to Sleep
4) Double check the date & time settings on your Ipad
5) Set to Automatically Print Orders *under printers

Test and see if this works.

Message 30 of 103

it didn't for me but also have the register and not the app so I don't know if that matters.

Message 31 of 103

We have a Square Register, and the auto-print is not working for it either.

We updated to the newest version and that update introduced an error that was more critical (could not record $0.00 orders from loyalty discounts or 100% discounts), so we reverted back to the previous version.

I'm extremely frustrated with Square and their lack to QA and testing. Things happen, bug happen, but roll-outs such as this are far too common with Square.

And this is not the first time we have had issues like this. In fact, it has become expected that there will be critical bugs with Square updates. So I hate to do an update until a couple of weeks have passed.

Unfortunately, updating the software to the newest version is Square's first answer to new issues that get introduced because the Square environment has changed. Sadly, in many cases, there seems to be no backward compatibility or regression testing - which explains why the new update screwed up our Loyalty Program.

Square Dev's and QA, if you're reading this, please get it together.

Your application is mission critical for operations like ours, and errors like these wreak havoc on our ability to conduct business.

Message 32 of 103

When I go into settings, I don't have an option for remote settings, why?

Message 33 of 103

Hello @djswan1 and @Lb5222.

Sorry to hear that these settings are not showing up for you. Take a look at this Printer Troubleshooting steps article. If you are not seeing the ability to tap Settings > Remote Orders, I would suggest updating your Square Application if it needs it. The most up to date version of Square is 5.39. @AshleyK has also provided exact steps to enable automatic printing for pickup orders here.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 34 of 103

My online orders do mot printnor show up on the tablet anymore

Message 35 of 103
Admin

@ChefStacia Did you happen to go through the troubleshooting steps listed above on this thread?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 36 of 103
Beta Member

Hey Ashely, I'm on Square Terminal and I want to ask if this device has ability to automatically print online store orders into the kitchen when someone place order through our website. We configured the print stations and added all kitchen printers from the Terminal and able to test print manually but I am expecting automatic printing. 

Message 37 of 103

Hi there, @rgadde 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you.

Currently online order management through the Square Terminal is an outstanding Feature Request, and a highly requested one at that. We can confirm that our Product Teams are currently in development of this feature. As soon as we have a positive update to share, we will bounce back here and let you know.

Joe
Message 38 of 103
Beta Member

Do you know what are the minimum requirements to have Online Orders print directly in the Kitchen? We have to have an iPad or Android Device? Any Square's own hardware support this? We are new to Square POS and currently transitioning to Weebly Online Store to replace our old system.

Message 39 of 103

hi, the orders menu on terminal is not reliable for us as it doesn't show a live view of orders coming through. we can't constantly be checking our emails and refreshing to check for new orders either.

bringing order printing to the terminal will be extremely helpful

Message 40 of 103
Beta Member

We created a print station and tested one Online Order. It looks like when the iPad was locked out the orders won't print. If the iPad is active and Online order is placed then it works. This is annoying. We can't keep starring at the iPad all the time. How can be make sure the Web Orders prints in kitchen without any manual intervention? 

Message 41 of 103
Alumni

Glad to hear you figured out how to configure your POS device to print online orders. @rgadde

As for the issue you're running into, the best work around is to set your IPad to never Auto lock (Device settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > Never).

Justin
Message 42 of 103