x

Importing customers

We are new to Square and trying to import customers. We are using the Square recommended csv template to do this.

As a trial we are attempting to import 10 customers. When we do this we are told that 10 customers have been imported and we don’t get any import error message.

However, if we then open the import group file that has been created it is empty. It says ‘no matching records” – though matching to what we don’t know!

If we import exactly the same file again we then get flagged that we have duplicate records. If we go through the duplicate record procedure it brings up all 10 customers.

When we merge each one (individually and not using “merge all”) we can then edit the merged record and in the ‘group’ data field we see the name of both import files. If we delete one of these in this data field and then go back to the other import file that customer is then visible in that import file.

Question is why we can’t see our imported customers in the import file when we first import it?

Message 1 of 8
Report Inappropriate Content
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

Not sure what's happening, but you could try the following.

Add a single test customer to the customer library, export this single customer then use the exported csv file to populate with your customers details then import this back in to the customer database. 

Sometimes there can be a slight variation between headers of templates and the actually exported file. This may be the problem??

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 2 of 8

Thanks. I tried that but still nothing showing in the import file that was then created.

Message 3 of 8

I've also just found that if I go to the 'Settings/Configure profile' menu within Customers and switch one of the 'visible fields' off and then back on, the imported customer then does appear in that import group file. This is a quick work around but we've still no idea why imported customers don't orignially appear when we first import them.

Message 4 of 8
Admin

Hi @WokinghamBC, thanks for flagging this hear and sorry to hear you are having some issues with the import. 

We have some troubleshooting steps dedicated to errors like this, I would suggest starting the import again from scratch, while having a read of the steps below. 

• Invalid date format: The preferred date format is the ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD), but we also support other date formats.
  • Invalid phone number: The preferred phone number format includes the phone’s country code in E.164 format without brackets. If no country code is provided, it may be assumed based on the customer’s country.
  • Invalid address: We suggest you name your columns: address-country, address-street, address-postcode, etc.
  • Invalid CSV headers or The file is missing a header line: Make sure a header row exists for your dataset. To add one, use a tool like Excel to add a row to the top of your document.
  • Your file appears to be empty: Review your file and ensure it has the necessary data for your upload.
  • Invalid Toggle Format: The preferred format for toggles is “Yes/No”, but “Y/N” and “True/False” are also supported.
  • Invalid Email Format: Review to make sure that the email address is valid.
  • Invalid Number Format: Both integers and fractional numbers are supported.
  • File Appears to be Empty: Review the file contents to ensure it contains the necessary data to upload.
  • Extra Quotation: Review the file for the usage of a single quotation mark (“) and remove it.
  • Parsing Error: An undetectable parsing error has occurred. Review the file format to resolve the parsing error.

When importing information into your directory, it is also important to note the following:

• File must be in .CSV format; we do not currently support .xls or .numbers files.
  • Download Square’s template .CSV file to see if the columns and headings match up to the correct format.
  • Make sure that all columns are formatted correctly (e.g. first name/last name is a text input, phone numbers are a numerical input, etc.)
  • Any inputs that are transaction-based (e.g. last visited/first visited, amount spent, total points, etc.) will not import as they are tied to a transaction from the old account.
  • Remove any dashed lines from empty spaces, brackets from phone numbers and empty columns.
  • Custom fields need to be created with the correct input so that data can transfer into the directory.
  • Duplicate customers will not import into the directory and they will show as an error at the top of the page when importing.

Let me know if you manage to get your directory uploaded after this guide. 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 5 of 8

We’ve already checked and done all that. We’re using the square csv file that you provide. We get the issue even if we just import a name and nothing else.

This issue has been escalated within Square on line supprt to see if it can be resolved.

Message 6 of 8
Admin

Thanks for letting me know @WokinghamBC, if the troubleshooting steps don't work than the best thing was to contact our support team directly as they have access to your account on the backend, if necessary they can take the file themselves and upload it to a test account for a better insight. 

Let me know if we can help with anything else. 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 7 of 8

My system does not allow me to continue once I have selected the CSV file.

The next button is greyed out!

It is definitely a csv file, I have viewed it notepad and the file extension is .csv

I exported the template and used that so it is definitely the right format.

Why don't square up improve this feature and allow excel. The import Item allows Excel so why not the Customer import.

With 4 million customers I am surprised Square don't have a better solution. 

This has to be the most problematic part of the system if you look at all the articles on the seller community.

Message 8 of 8