x
Beta Member

Terminal restarts

We have 2 Terminals and both restart or freeze randomly during a sale? We have tried a factory reset but still happens! Terminals are 2 weeks old and software upto date, does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?  TIA 

Message 1 of 41
Report Inappropriate Content
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

This is top priority for our team so we are actively working on getting a fix out as soon as possible.

With regards to the printers, would these be ethernet/WiFi printers @The_Sun_Inn? If they are, the network issue would definitely caused the printer to disconnect unfortunately.

If they are USB printers, can you try running through these troubleshooting steps

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 41
Admin

Best Answer

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience while we look into this issue on our end! There should be a Critical Update available for your Terminal when you next turn it on. The update should help with the network issue everyone has been experiencing but let me know if you are still running into problems, I can definitely look into this further.

Tra

View Best Answer >

Message 14 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Admin

That does sound like it is a separate issue @The_Sun_Inn. So that our team can investigate this, it is best to contact our Support team directly. That way, the team can get the diagnostic logs for the specific devices as well specific information related to the tickets as well. 

Tra
Message 22 of 41
Beta Member

Ethernet printers are continually disconnecting from the terminals. When we open tickets they do not sync

Message 23 of 41

I also have this issue with Ethernet printers. 
Didn’t think it was related, until now. 

driving me crazy - whole EPOS system grinds to a halt during a busy service. Starting to have some regrets!

Message 24 of 41
Admin

Apology for the inconvenience caused by this @matteusz88! If you have run through 

the troubleshooting steps outlined here and your Terminal is up to date, can you also try these troubleshooting steps for ethernet printers?

If the issue still persists, please do contact our Support team directly so they can investigate and help get the diagnostic reports as well.

Tra
Message 25 of 41

The printer issue is driving me insane. We’ve 2 sites; no issue in one, but no end of trouble in another.
Out of interest, what router are you using? 

Message 26 of 41
Beta Member

We are using Eero Mesh

Message 27 of 41

We’re using a Billion. Thought we could possibly narrow the problem down 😂

Have you tried using static IP address for the printer? Or a mac address assigned IP address through your router? 

I’ve tried doing both, but doesn’t seem to have made a difference. 

When the printer disconnects (from Register, Terminal, iPads & iPhone all simultaneously), I can still log in to the printers admin page suggesting that it’s not a simple IP issue. 

Message 28 of 41
Beta Member

@matteusz88 we tried static IP addresses initially and was the same, however the critical update seems to (touch wood) have cured the printer problem, we are just left with the restarting issue now!

Message 29 of 41
Beta Member

I'm starting to lose patience. I've done everything you have suggested in troubleshooting and still ethernet printers are randomly disconnecting. I've spent thousands of pounds on equipment from Square and it worked perfect until about 7 weeks ago. And it's not just limited to the terminals. The ipads and my Samsung phone also disconnect from the printers. What is going on and why is this not listed on current Square issues?? It would have saved me calling out 3 BT engineers and getting charged. It's not good enough! 

Message 30 of 41
Admin

I'm really sorry that the troubleshooting steps didn't help in this case @Thj! Have you been able to contact our Support team directly? I want to make sure that we can get to the bottom of this and investigate thoroughly, but in order to do so, our team would need to get details specific to your account and devices. 

If you are having trouble contacting our team, please let me know and I'll see what I can do to get the information over to the appropriate team. 

Tra
Message 31 of 41
Beta Member

The problem I have is your support team don't open until 9am. My bar opens at 9am and I can't be taking terminals off staff to try and sort this over the phone. 

Message 32 of 41
Admin

With the Terminal, you have access to 24/7 support from our team. When you call in outside of hours, depending on the number you use, you will be put straight through or be asked for your customer code.

You can find your customer code by going to Resources > Contact > Call Support Team. Your customer code should be right under our phone number. Note: It's important to make sure you're logged in to your Square account first in order to see the customer code. 

I hope this will help!

Tra
Message 33 of 41
Beta Member

@Thj are you still having problems? Today i have done my own trouble shooting as had an hour or two spare, we have our broadband connected to an EERO mesh kit, great works fine, 3 seperate bases all should work seemelessly, a thought occured to me today that maybe the square terminals need to all be connected to the same 'Single' base so i had a spare network extender, i have set this up as a seperate SSID away from EERO even though it is connected to the EERO system, set the terminals and printers up on this single SSID and so far no disconnections!! Obviously if it is this that is the issue then maybe square need to configure the teminals so they can 'Wonder' around using a mesh or other extender system to cater for businesses that have a large floor area / multiple floors! I will update should things change!

@tranguyen could you confirm with the techies if this could be an issue?

Message 34 of 41
Beta Member

Everything of ours is connected to 1 BT hub so don't think that would be our issue. Our terminals don't restart. They disconnect from our ethernet printers. Also, open tickets don't sync between devices. It's incredibly frustrating and we can't offer the same service we used to 8 weeks ago

Message 35 of 41
Admin

Thanks for sharing this @The_Sun_Inn!

From what I know, the Terminal itself just needs to be on the same network as the ethernet printer in order to connect. Terminals shouldn't need to be on the same network to connect with each other and sync tickets but I will definitely share this with the team and see if they have any additional insight they can provide. 

Tra
Message 36 of 41

We’ve one TSP100 printer for printing tickets. Have temporarily replaced it with an MC Print 2 but the issue persists. It surely can’t be a printer problem!

Ticket syncing is frequently out also. 

Message 37 of 41
Beta Member

@tranguyen we went all day yesterday with no syncing problems and no printer issues, one of the terminals restarted once but all was fine after that, it does seem in our case chaning the network configuration has worked! Will monitor still and update.

Message 38 of 41

We had issues all day yesterday 🤣 😭 But glad to hear that possibly/maybe it can be fixed!

What did you change in your network configuration?

Message 39 of 41
Beta Member

Right so yesterday all day, again all was fine with printing to both bar and kitchen printers, although @tranguyen last night one terminal continued to restart after each sale. @matteusz88 we previously had the setup of...

EERO Mesh x 3 units to cover floor span, 

What i did was use a TP-Link network extender, set this up on the EERO network and changed the SSID to POS, set the printers onto the same POS SSID, then changed the Terminals also onto the POS SSID so all working from 1 Unit rather than the three seperate ones. Seems to have rectified the printer issues. Any mobile phone we use can still use the EERO SSID and connect to the printers with no problem and also the 2 registers we have work fine on either. It seems to me that the issue was occuring as we moved around the floor and the terminals changed between the 3 different EERO devices! Just need to sort the restart out now!

Message 40 of 41
Admin

I'm glad to hear the connection is stable @The_Sun_Inn!

With regards to the Terminal keeps restarting, that's definitely something we want to look into. Have you been able to contact our Support team directly? The reason it's best to contact our team in this case is that they can gather all the necessary information quicker (which I don't have access to) and escalate this to the appropriate team. 

Tra
Message 41 of 41