x

SSL Encryption is a must have in 2017

Hey everybody! It's time to take this request down because Weebly kindly gave everyone an upgrade to SSL quite some time ago already, which is totally awesome and greatly appreciated! Kudos to WEEBLY for this important improvement. I have now phased out all but one of my WordPress sites because hey, who wants to diddle around with hackers and constant updates when Weebly takes care of it flawelessly?! 

My hat's off to the crew at Weebly. I intend to be a customer for a long, long time. All the best!

Message 1 of 152
151 REPLIES 151
Square

We're going to be rolling out SSL for everyone gradually shortly; we aren't doing everyone all at once because we want to make sure everything is working properly. That said, you'll be able to enable the option for any site when we're finished.

Message 67 of 152

give us something please. days, weeks, months,.. 2017 or 2018?

Message 67 of 152
Square

It's hard to give a fixed date, and I don't know exactly how long each part of the rollout will take. I will say that we're aiming to do this as fast as possible.

Message 67 of 152

Does the SSL cost $10 every time I republish the site?  

Message 67 of 152
Square

No, it won't cost anything to re-publish even if you change site addresses.

Message 67 of 152

Adam,

RE: Your post in august this year advising that this was something being rolled out across the board to all customers, it is now December and still no progress on this! I've been seeking advice from your support team this week who have said there are still no definitive timescales for rolling this out. I'm on the designer platform, but the needs of my customers are no less than anyone else using weebly. With changes to the charities commision guidance and GDPR coming in the new year, this isn't a game anymore, ssl support across all platforms needs to be implemented across all of your packages.

Please could you advise the community of a timetable for the rollout, so we can advise our customers accordinglyor where necessary make other arrangements to help them comply with their legal obligations.

Thanks

Anthony

Message 67 of 152

Adam weebly is going to lose a lot of devoted users unless you make this a no-brainer on every level. I was just about to pitch a new site for a client but then realized weebly is not up to speed so cannot advise using weebly. This is a deal breaker for all of us doing business—should be a no-brainer—not a "vote for a feature issue" for you too. Quickly.

Message 67 of 152

I received the following email from weebly. Via email I have asked the Weebly help if this is a permanent offer of or will I need to upgrade at a later date to business to keep the SSL. I have 2 older Weebly pro accounts and am really happy with these. I don't need any further upgrading, only the SSL and ........

Weebly Email
We're contacting you today about your website and SSL. You've probably read about the importance of online security and encryption and how major companies like Google and Mozilla are leading an initiative to make all websites secure.
SSL certificates are included with our Business and Performance plans, but we're providing you with the option to enable SSL on your site now without upgrading.
You can do this by going to the Settings tab in the editor, scrolling down to SSL, and clicking to enable SSL. Find out more ....
Message 67 of 152
Square

This is permanent, @KG100 - we won't ask you to pay for that in the future.

Message 67 of 152

Hi Adam,

Many thanks for the quick reply. 

That's great. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing what SSL does for my SEO.

Best

KG100

Message 67 of 152

So when is this happening ? Because apparently the google update is right around the corner, and Weebly is in the dark over here saying “maybe we’ll figure out some time to get to it.”

Message 67 of 152

What's the SSL plan?  Have you offered a free, or very inexpensive option yet? Let me know.  Otherwise, although I've been with Weebly for years, and have been a strong promoter to others, I will go to Wix if this isn't resolved soon.  What's the problem, I don't understand, since other web hosts have already moved forward with this?

Message 67 of 152
Square

Without going into specifics, when we complete the rollout everyone will be able to use it regardless of plan - even free sites.

Message 67 of 152

Wow that is interesting.

I am in contact with your support and they still push for the business plan solution. Did you communicate this to them?

Message 67 of 152

@artjst, I reviewed your conversation with our support team --- they accurately expressed that while SSL solutions are forthcoming for other plans, they are at the current moment only avaialble on Business and Performance. Sorry for any confusion.

Message 67 of 152

when Adam?

Message 67 of 152

@Adam wrote:

Without going into specifics, when we complete the rollout everyone will be able to use it regardless of plan - even free sites.

Adam, let's forget the fact that all of your competitors managed to get this up and running, what I see now is a growing number of people, including me, who desperately want to remain Weebly customers - who are increasingly frustrated and angry that THEIR customers are backing away from their websites because they are being highlighted as unsecure, with advice from Google that "Your connection to this site is not secure...  your information ... could be stolen by attackers".

Like the others here I really want to stay with Weebly, but by ignoring your customers for so long, and providing vague answers to our concerns, you are really giving us no alternatives - please, please roll this out asap!

Message 67 of 152

Here we are, almost halfway through October, and SSL solutions are forthcoming for Business and Performance plans, but not for other plans. It seems the only thing Weebly cares about now is for Free and Pro plans to upgrade to Business and Performance.

Message 67 of 152

Hello Eric! Sorry for any stress, we are still bringing out SSL for all Weebly users. Thanks for bearing with us!

Message 67 of 152

I assume that also means the designer platform. It seems that everyone is now desperate to get their website running under https, as google are now apparently ranking websites lower that don't use https.
Message 67 of 152

I have read the whole thread.  I see that my frustration that Weebly has not addressed this issue for starter sites is shared by hundreds (if not thousands) of customers.  I see that these customers want to stay with Weebly but are fed up and moving to your competitors.  The most definitive response from Adam has been we are working on it and will be rolling out a solution soon.  PLEASE give us a timeline!   My website is lordspress.com  You know where to reach me.  Please give us a definate date.  

Tags (2)
Message 67 of 152