x

Why isn't SSL included in Pro Plans?

SSL is the standard for website autheniticy. What most don't realise who use Weebly, your webiste gets rejected by many search engines/servers due not having SSL. Unfortunitely if you don't purchases the 'Business' subscription, you don't get SSL included. SSL should be included with any paid plans. Weebly really needs to consider including this in all there paid plans. Consider this before signing up...

Message 1 of 132
131 REPLIES 131

Hey there asthap. We're definitely hearing the call there, and handling SSL for users of every type is something that's still very much in mind. We don't currently have any announcements there, though updates will be coming as soon as possible.

Message 133 of 132

I just started my first website for my first business and bought a 2-year Pro plan with Weebly paying upfront. I am offering financial services without planning to offer anything for sale directly on my site, so I thought (correctly) I didn't need a Business plan for e-commerce. However, I'm kicking myself for not doing more thorough research on how ubiquitous SSL is becoming and how for a financial services website, browser changes to come will almost be unacceptable for my site's presentation to potential clients. I will be looking forward to rapid changes to Weebly's service regarding SSL's for Pro plans, as right now I'm feeling like OOPS! for my current website solution I purchased with Weebly.

Message 133 of 132
Square

Things have changed a lot over the last few years with SSL, and in particular more recently thanks to Google. I don't have any info yet but this is definitely something we want to bring to more Weebly users.

Message 133 of 132

I received this notification from google. 

Starting October 2017, Chrome (version 62) will show a “NOT SECURE” warning when users enter text in a form on an HTTP page, and for all HTTP pages in Incognito mode. The new warning is part of a long term plan to mark all pages served over HTTP as “not secure”.

When Weebly is going to act?

Message 133 of 132
Square

Yes, we're working on a solution to bring SSL to all Weebly sites. Stay tuned!

Message 133 of 132

I'm really glad Weebly has recognised it has to offer SSL as standard to remain a viable product, and is accordingly "working on it". The responses don't inspire confidence it will be achieved on time though. DreamChaser asked a week ago whether the changes would take effect before October, and seems to have even specifically indicated a lack of confidence by adding "If your answer is "I don't know", I'll take that as a "No. It won't", but got the response that it's Weebly's "goal" to have it in place by then, which sounds like a "no" to me.

That this is even an issue makes me worry that Weebly isn't dedicating enough resources to remaining current, which has some pretty concerning implications. It's hard for the non-technically mi`nded (presumably the majority of users, given the value proposition) to understand why it's so difficult to apply one (seemingly shared) feature of a different price point to the others, but even were it not we still need tangible commitments. In my own case, we've sent emails on this topic specifically mentioning that we won't proceed beyond our trial unless this is resolved, but are yet to receive any response (coming up a week, I think). Not only does this infer a lack of true commitment to getting it resolved, but also a lack of interest in our custom.

Message 133 of 132
Square

We're going to be rolling it out in stages to everyone, so it makes it a little harder to know when a particular person will be having SSL enabled. This also ensures that the rollout goes smoothly and doesn't cause any unforseen problems for anyone.

Message 133 of 132

You guys really should take up politics......
Message 133 of 132

As a business owner I need that SSL, but I don't necessarily need all the features in the expensive business & performance packages. I concur with others who have posted that the replies from Weebly could be a lot more transparent, such as announcing a role out date. 

We don't operate on weebly's timeline, we operate on our own. I am pleased to hear there will be SSL enabled for weebly accounts, but I am frustrated that there is no announcement on specifically WHEN and this "role out in stages" line makes me unsure whether to expect such changes within a couple weeks, a couple months, or a year! How am I suppose to develop a business with that kind of information?

I have used weebly for many years now and have always recommended it for easy to use features. However, like others I may make the switch myself to other websites that have already integrated SSL into their systems. 

There's a lot of good things about weebly, but updates to security should never be slow to role out. 
Thank you for listening and I hope conditions improve for everyone. 
~James

Message 133 of 132
Square

Thanks for your candor, James. This was a pretty intensive infrastructure change on our end - much more so than it would seem, since we're going from a subset of millions of sites to every single Weebly site. While we're being slow and careful with the rollout, it's not going to be something that takes a long time to complete. 

Message 133 of 132

Hi Adam,

Our site is about to lose traffic. You knew that Google was going to be sending warning messages regarding unsecure sites starting in October. It is now October 19th. Our Pro Plan site has hundreds of thousands of page views per month according to your own metrics. Other hosts offer SSL for free. All we have been given is vague "it's rolling out slowly, etc..." which is not good enough. WHEN ARE WE GETTING SSL AS AN OPTION FOR PRO SITES? Exact date, please. Not an indefinite "soon". I don't want to have to move to a new provider, but cratering our traffic and search hierarchy is a deal breaker.

Cheers.

EDITED REPLY on 2017-10-24 - 

My sites are available now to enable SSL. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Message 133 of 132

Hi Adam,

I have 4 weebly websites under the Pro plan, & 3 of those with .weebly.com suffix's on the site address could enable SSL, but one with my own domain name that is hosted by weebly could not. I found a legitimate way around this and wrote an article on the weebly community forum with the title 'No Option to Enable SSL, Only Upgrade'. 

The article was taken down by Weebly one day after I published it, & when I try to access it from a bookmark it says 'Access Denied'. I'd appreciate an explaination why thank you - don't Weebly want customers with their own domain names to have free SSL as well?

Here's the article link:

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Moderated-Content/No-Option-to-Enable-SSL-Only-Upgrade/m-p/80347#M58...

Thanks.

Message 133 of 132
Square

Following the steps you gave might cause potential issues for a site and I would not recommend doing that. It looks like this was rolled out to you at some point after you'd done that, so if you have any issues I'd recommend disabling and re-enabling SSL.

Message 133 of 132

If changing a website address from one with it's own domain name to one with a Weebly supplied suffix & back 'might cause potential issues for a site' then Weebly has some serious flaws with their product. Weebly hosts my domain name as well so I fail to see what the problem is.

Weebly 'rolled out [free SSL] to' me only after I'd contacted customer support to ask why my comment had been removed regarding how to resolve Weebly's failure to offer free SSL to those with their own domain names, and I'd already fixed the problem myself by then - they'd already rolled out for my other sites with .weebly.com suffix's but excluded the one with my own domain name. The customer support live person yesterday was so intentionally evasive over the matter that I ended up laying a complaint about him after he gave me the runaround for a good half hour - looks like his supervisor has ignored my complaint also, if he even notified his supervisor about it after saying he did.

Summary: Weebly deletes a post with a simple workaround for their rollout screwup, customer support chants irrelevant & obtuse repetitive mantras for 30mins. that avoid addressing the issue raised like he'd been coached on the matter, & the customer support supervisor fails to make contact when a complaint is made.

What are Weebly trying to achieve, con a few remaining desperate Pro customers into paying for a Business account at double the price when they don't need to? Hide a flaw in their software or their SSL rollout? Irritate their paying customers?

Message 133 of 132
Square

It's an issue right now because there are infrastructure and migration concerns when it hasn't been actually rolled out to a particular account. If it has been rolled out to you, then no problem at all - you can change your site address to whatever you want and it will work fine, regardless of plan or whether it's a custom domain name or Weebly subdomain.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I understand why people are anxious about enabling this; my concern is making sure that people don't accidentally create a problem when they could have avoided it.

Message 133 of 132

Adam Good morning
Please can you help me with my site?
http//www.geckoexpediciones.cl
Thanks in advance
Message 133 of 132
Square

Did you want to know if SSL was enabled for your account, @geckoexpedicion? I can check and see if that's the case.

Message 133 of 132

Adam thanks for the ultra-hyper fast answer
I try to enable the SSL but the Weebly site only give me the upgrade to a bigger plan option to enable SSL I just need SSL for my site can you do something?

Thanks in advance
Message 133 of 132
Square

What site are you trying to enable it on, @geckoexpedicion? I don't see an upgrade button when I check the account tied to your Community profile.

Message 133 of 132

Adam - can you fix spiritcareministry.org to have free SSL - I need https:// to work. Thank you. 

Tags (1)
Message 133 of 132
Square

I just replied to your other post about this, @amhey.

Message 133 of 132