x

How do I undo my changes and revert back to the last published version?

[Note: The title of this post has been edited by a moderator.]

I have made changes to my layout but I have not published yet. Is there a way to reset the changes back to my last published format?

Message 1 of 66
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

We don't currently have a way to revert back to specific versions of your site, unfortunately. We can restore fully deleted pages if you deleted a page, but we can't restore content or revert it to previous versions.

Since your published website still has the content, you can copy text from there and right-click and download images as well, that way you can use that to recreate your content as it was before you made changes. 

One additional note about an undo button. We don't currently have that for the classic Weebly drag and drop editor, though we do have an undo button for the newer Square Online editor. That button will undo changes you've made while you keep the editor open (once you exit the editor, close your browser tab, or go to another site that undo history is lost).

While we don't have a way to convert a site from one editor to another, you can try out the Square Online editor by signing up for a new account and choosing the option that you want to sell online.

View Best Answer >

Message 24 of 66
65 REPLIES 65
Square

Hi Ace. We are not able to restore elements that are deleted on pages. Smiley Sad We can restore full pages that are deleted (from the Pages tab) but individual content will not restore. I'm really sorry about this. 

Message 24 of 66

Dear Adam, 

I deleted some content without knowing and published it to my website. Is there a way I can get it back? 

I also have another question. The deleted content were a few hyperlinks to a lot of images. But now the hyperlinks are gone, is there a way I can find them back? 

I hope you can help me

Message 24 of 66

Hi,

I have just come across the same problem with my business site. Have just found that nothing can be done. As I will have to rebuild my website from scratch I will have to find an alternative builder with this obviously logical feature. I have found other web builders that have undo/redo functions as well as backup options. Can anyone suggest a good functioning web builder?

Message 47 of 66
Square

We're working on an undo feature for the editor right now; I don't know exactly when that will be rolled out but it is something that we are working on adding.

Message 47 of 66

Just lost all my pictures too.... Hoped to get back by "undo". But just found this!!! .... mmrrrraaaa

Message 47 of 66
Square

Sorry about that, @ve1!

Message 47 of 66

For the most part Weebly is decent, but this feature lacking is a major throwback to the mid-90s. Brutal!
Message 47 of 66
Square

It's definitely one our biggest feature requests. The team is working on adding this feature in, however I don't have a time frame to give you at this time. I'm really sorry about that!

Message 47 of 66

Wow, just lost all my previous hard work, images. I haven't pressed publish, but didn't realise it saved as it went along.

Terrible, terrible waste of my time. I'll be looking for another editor unfortunately. Pity, been using them since 2011.

Message 47 of 66
Square

Very sorry about that @rcroser. I can definitely understand the frustration and would fix it if I could. Smiley Sad 

Message 47 of 66

Let me get this straight. Any content changes I make will be permanently made to the site even if I did not publish the revised site? What if I do a copy and change that? Will that leave the original unchanged? I am looking for a strategy to play with my site until I have it the way I like it and then publish it.

Message 47 of 66
Square

Correct, @gkauf3. All changes are saved in real time. However, you are right on the money about making a copy. You can either make a copy of the site itself, or you can make copies of individual pages. One thing to keep in mind about copying entire sites is that if you have a blog it will not copy. 

Message 47 of 66

Ok.  So this was brought up in 2016 and now it is 2018 and still Weebly has not fixed this obvious shortsight.  At this point this is not only silly, it is unprofessional.

Message 47 of 66

Im in the same situation. Sadly I seem to have screwed up my site beyong all hope of repair just attempting to "preview" some changes. In addition, the edit image feature is not working. I think it may be time for me to move on as well. 

Message 47 of 66
Square

I'm really sorry to hear that. Smiley Sad Losing content is super frustrating. What were you trying to preview when the changes happened? We can also check out the image feature for you if you post the site you are trying to edit. 

Message 47 of 66

And now it is 2019!!

vtartist
Message 47 of 66

It's now 2020 and still nothing. 

Message 47 of 66

I have nothing in Recently Used. At this juncture, I have to remind myself not to click Publish.

Message 47 of 66
Square

What issue are you having that you don't want to publish, @JWDAV60?

Message 47 of 66

Well, here I am in July, 2019 and just found this discussion! I am so frustrated that I lost all my work putting up my paintings. I so agree with all the frustrated comments. This was a terrible oversight on Weebly's part.

vtartist
Message 47 of 66
Square

I'm so sorry, @NancyL It is super frustrating to lose work or mess up the site on accident. In the future, it is best to create a copy of the page you are editing. Especially if you are making drastic edits. You can also copy your entire website by clicking on the three dots to the right of the Edit Website button on the dashboard. What is the name of the site? You might be able to find an archived version to help you visualize the previous page layout. 

Message 47 of 66