x
Admin

Apply: American Express and Main Street America Inclusive Backing Grant Program

Hello Seller Community!

I'm reaching out to let you know about another grant opportunity available with American Express and Main Street America.

american-express-coffee-shop-payment.jpg

As small businesses continue to feel the impact of the pandemic, many still need support to keep their doors open. To back underrepresented small business owners as they navigate the pandemic and plan for long-term success, American Express has partnered with Main Street America on a $1.65M year-round grant program called Inclusive Backing. This program builds on American Express’ ongoing Backing Small initiative to provide economically vulnerable small businesses with financial support and other resources to address their critical needs and challenges.

Applications for the next cycle of the Inclusive Backing grant program are now open. This cycle will give $5,000 in grants to 60 U.S. small businesses owned by women, nonbinary people, and Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. For information on grant eligibility and how to apply, click the blue button below:

LEARN MORE AND APPLY NOW

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 7.17.03 PM.png     MSA Logo RGB.jpg

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @weredoughcookie, thanks for checking in!

Good news — I ran this by American Express and Main Street America, and wanted to clarify: The commercial district and building the business is in does not have to be designated historic to qualify.

For more details, have a look at the eligibility section of the FAQs. Eligible businesses must have a "bricks-and-mortar" location and operate in an older or historic main street, downtown, or commercial district in the United States. They define this as a contiguous commercial district with businesses and mixed-use buildings along a commercial corridor, which does not include businesses in strip malls, residences, or shopping malls.

Hope this helps. 🙏🏻

️ Tom | he/him

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Beta Member

Thank You for sharing!

Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

@Helen Thank you for this!

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller Alumni

Its a great opportunity but its very restrictive on the location of the business. You aren't eligible unless in a historic area. our historic downtown area is not feasible for many newer small businesses to join. 

I'm just in the regular business district area of my township. considering the building was built in 60s or 70s it dosent qualify.

Jessica
Owner/Founder
We'reDough Bakery and Cookie Dough Cafe
Flint, MI
Message 4 of 7
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @weredoughcookie, thanks for checking in!

Good news — I ran this by American Express and Main Street America, and wanted to clarify: The commercial district and building the business is in does not have to be designated historic to qualify.

For more details, have a look at the eligibility section of the FAQs. Eligible businesses must have a "bricks-and-mortar" location and operate in an older or historic main street, downtown, or commercial district in the United States. They define this as a contiguous commercial district with businesses and mixed-use buildings along a commercial corridor, which does not include businesses in strip malls, residences, or shopping malls.

Hope this helps. 🙏🏻

️ Tom | he/him
Message 5 of 7
Super Seller Alumni

I know the winners have been chosen for this cycle already but in the online application it literally requires you to choose if you business is in a historic district. So this is in fact a restriction. My bakery is in a set of buildings that most would call a strip mall but was built in the 60s/70s. That's pretty much the only way new businesses can get started when the cost of buying their own building is a down payment of $150k (more than I paid for my house!).

we are in the commercial district, but the commercial district of Flint Township is 90% strip malls of varying ages.

Jessica
Owner/Founder
We'reDough Bakery and Cookie Dough Cafe
Flint, MI
Message 6 of 7
Super Seller

@Tom Thank you for these updates about grant opportunities! They are so helpful as so many of us are recovering, expanding and accelerating our businesses post COVID-19!

Richard Merrill, CEO

Richard Merrill Consulting, LLC

Spokane, WA, USA

Super Seller: I help others.

Beta Tester: I question everything.

he/him

Happy Selling!

Message 7 of 7