x
Admin

Update: Announcing Recipients of the "Services that Back Us" Grant Program

Hello Seller Community,

Over the past few months, we encouraged Square sellers to apply for the American Express and Main Street America grant programs, and I'm thrilled to share an update featuring a handful of recipients from the “Services That Back Us” grant cycle. More opportunities are planned ahead for 2022, and we will let you know as soon as the next application period opens. Keep in touch!

Seller Highlights — How some of the recipients plan to use these grants to improve their businesses:

• “I plan to get a super, super big sign – with the budget for it made possible through the grant program American Express and Main Street America are providing!"
    — Skin Beauty Bar, Washington, D.C.

• The owner of Chicago-based VipCutz says: “This grant is definitely going to help us go a long way,” with plans to create a stronger social media presence.
    —  VipCutz, Illinois

• Scott Doney looks forward to storefront improvements: “I love the back of the shop where the equipment is. All the equipment is from like 1930s, ‘40s, ‘50s – all old – and I like that it looks like that. I want it all to look like that because the front is very plain.”
    — James Shoe Hospital, Tennessee

More about American Express and Main Street America:

Supporting the growth of small business is at the forefront of American Express’ community backing. As part of the “Services that Back Us” Grant Program, 75 U.S. small businesses in the personal service industry each received a $5,000 grant to help them grow and serve the daily lives of their customers and communities as they navigate through pandemic recovery.

To see the full list of grantees for this program, have a look at Main Street America's blog post: 75 Service Industry Small Businesses Awarded Grants Through Services That Back Us Program.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Admin

Checking back in here to highlight a Seller Community member who received a grant. See what @Doran had to say below:

"They just let me know and I am so excited. The fund is helping make some improvements to the front of my studio and other expenses."
— 
Haute Beauty Guide, California

Check out their original post in the Beauty and Wellness group: What Happens When You Use This Community As a Resource.

We're glad to hear this will help uplevel your studio and take care of other expenses — congratulations @Doran!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 2 of 22
Beta Member

I received a grant this round! I’m so honored and blessed. I apply for grants daily and this is the first one I’ve been awarded. I’m going to use it to purchase a new sign and updated equipment 

Message 3 of 22
Super Seller

Congrats!! That is awesome. 

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 4 of 22
Admin

Congratulations @NamesteHair! That's amazing — thank you for sharing! 🎉

️ Tom | he/him
Message 5 of 22
Beta Member

Congratulations!

Message 6 of 22
Super Seller

Congrats....

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 7 of 22
Super Seller

Congrats! Let us know how you put it to use and the impact it has on your place. These are such great stories to follow!

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 8 of 22

That's awesome, congratulations! I'm curious what grants are you applying for daily? Can you share the resources please?

Message 9 of 22
Super Seller Alumni

This is so dang cool! Thanks so much for sharing @Tom , and big congrats to @Doran and @NamesteHair and everyone else selected!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 10 of 22

Hello Tom!!

I wish I had know about this grant! Is there a way to get on a email list so I can make sure to NOT miss the next round of grants?

Thank you for sharing!!!

Coco

Message 11 of 22
Super Seller

Congrats guys...

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 12 of 22
Super Seller Alumni

I love the program and its goals. However its a little bit nearsighted with only including businesses in older historical districts. $5000 would be a game changer for my bakery but we weren't able to get a shop downtown like we wanted, instead we are on the business district of a nearby township, very busy, but by no means in a historic district, about 5 min driving time from a historic district.

There are tons of super great and impactful small businesses that are not located in historic districts. Maybe we could get a program started between square and another grant program for these types of businesses. Food business like mine are being hit especially hard with the rise in ingredients like eggs, butter, and flour (literally the cornerstone of any bakery).

Jessica
Owner/Founder
We'reDough Bakery and Cookie Dough Cafe
Flint, MI
Message 13 of 22
Super Seller

Oh, I am so happy to see you on here, I have been to your bakery, yum!!!! I am from Clare the home of Cops and Doughnuts but happen to be in your area and I love fresh bakeries and yours was amazing!!! Keep up the great work and I know hun the prices are killing a lot of us but I prefer shopping small and I would rather pay 1-2.00 mores for good quality baked foods and doughnuts. Supermarket baked goods are just blah. Keep doing you and the people will come!❤️ best wishes to a fellow Michigan small business owner!

Message 14 of 22

I was also unaware of this grant

Catherine Brinkley 

President and CEO

Saving American Hearts, INC Academy of Medical Education

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Message 15 of 22

How do I know when the window of application opens up again?

Thanks!

Jen

Message 16 of 22
Admin

Hi @cocochalky@sahcolorado@threepaths, and anyone else who may be wondering about the next grant opportunity: We are confirming details for the next round of applications and we'll circle back to this thread with more information as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and please continue stay subscribed to this thread for notifications. 🙏🏻

️ Tom | he/him
Message 17 of 22

Yay!

Message 18 of 22
Admin

Hello and good evening everyone!

I'm happy to share that next American Express and Main Street America grant cycle is open. For more details on eligibility and next steps, head over to this announcement: Apply: American Express and Main Street America Launch Next Cycle of Grant Program.

Thanks again for your patience. 💯

️ Tom | he/him
Message 19 of 22
Beta Member

This is exciting news!!!!!

Message 20 of 22
Admin

Hi there, for anyone following this thread — I wanted to share that another grant opportunity opened up for 2023. For complete details and eligibility, have a look at this post: Apply: American Express and Main Street America Small Business Grant Opportunity.

Wishing you all the best.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 21 of 22