x

Can I backdate, edit, or delete a transaction?

The title of this post has been edited from the original:  Can you delete a transaction?

How do you delete a completed "Cash" transaction? I ran it just as a test.

Message 1 of 352
4 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

Hi @TheGlencafe,

Right now we have no plans to add the ability to backdate, delete or manipulate transaction information after a sale is complete. 

For context, the ability to manipulate transactions can cause issues for reporting and chargebacks. Also, it would make it easier for fraudsters and scammers to commit crimes using Square Point of Sale. 

If you have test cash transactions in your transaction history, you can always refund these payments to balance your books. See our help article on how to refund a payment.

Hopefully this has provided some transparency on this request, and why it's not available. 

Verified Answer

Re: Delete a sale record?

Hello @alexaiezza, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. The reasoning behind this is we use this information to submit 1099-K's to the IRS. I'm not saying you would do this, but it would be easy to cook your books if this ability was available. 

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. Currently we are in the process of collecting feedback for this request. I don't have a timeline on when it might be available. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 

EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

@TomTr

I appreciate your feedback in regards to this. I know you've probably read this multiple times within the Seller Community, but we really do send customer feedback over to our Product Teams, and advocate for changes for you.

I absolutely agree that a void feature would help with training and testing, and also make reporting look a lot cleaner as well. You make a great point that with test payments, or payments made by mistake, nothing is ever actually sold, so your gross sales report shouldn't reflect a sale (which is what results when issuing a refund).

As you've alluded to in your previous post, there are two different requests within this thread. Some folks are looking for the ability to completely remove or delete a transaction, which isn't possible at this time. We don’t have any new information around whether or not this will ever become available.

The other option that folks are looking for, having an option to mark payments that have been completed as voided/cancelled rather than refunded, would help sellers a ton and we’ll continue to reiterate that to the team on your behalf.

We know this request is important to you, so as soon as there are updates that we’re able to share publicly, we will.

I hope this provides more clarity, and thank you all, again, for your feedback!

Verified Answer

Re: Can you delete a transaction?

Maybe the Square team can find a way to mark the transactions as Void, so that they do not affect sales totals, but neither are the transactions erased.

From an accounting standpoint, I can see why they would not let a transaction just be deleted. There has to be a documentation trail.

When I have to make test transactions, when I refund the transaction I make note that it was a test transaction and that is why it was refunded. There is also the "Accidental Charge" notation available.

Then when I download my sales reports, I sort the test transactions out and make a note in my saved spreadsheet.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @amoster.

Sorry to hear that happened 😔

Currently adding the ability to delete a transaction is not on our road map. While these accidents happen, we still can't offer all of our sellers the ability to delete transactions. For tax and IRS reporting, I'm sure you can imagine why.

Another request on this thread is to be able to void transactions so they don't show on reports. I don't have a timeline to share on when that may be available or if we plan to develop it. So sorry about that.

Thank you for your patience and understanding 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 340 of 352
351 REPLIES 351

Is the customer notified of the refund by Square?

Message 22 of 352

@tbures, welcome to the Seller Community and that is a great question! 🎉

So the customer will not receive notification of the refund, but you can send them an updated receipt. The updated receipt will be green and display the amount refunded. To issue a new receipt from your Square Dashboard follow these steps:

1. Select the Sales tab on the left side of your screen.
  2. Then select Transactions in the top right.
  3. Click on the desired transaction 
  4. Then click send receipt at the top of the pop up window. Then you will enter the recipients email address.

I hope this helps answer your question! 😃

Message 23 of 352

I don't need to process a refund. I entered too many zeros.  I need to void the amount and start over.

Message 24 of 352

George:

Is you answer still true?  I spent some time yesterday learning and exploring Square so I would be able to set it up correclt and train our employees.  All of the transactions were non-existent and now I am supposed to return to each of them and "refund" money that I never took?

Message 25 of 352

This is still true, @BVottero. You can refund these fake transactions from the activity section of the app. If you processed them as cash it will just balance your reports to reflect that no money was taken. If you used a personal credit card to run test transactions the refund will put the funds back on the car

Message 26 of 352
Beta Member

That is SO discouraging! You realize we are businesses that need to run reports that show what our businesses are actually doing, right?? We are not ACTUALLY making those sales, nor are we ACTUALLY refunding any money, and ACTUALLY doing those things DOES affect our businesses. When our reports show we've sold something ... and then it looks like what we sold was returned, and that we refunded the money ... that does affect our reporting. So, so discouraging.

Message 27 of 352

This question is continually asked, and has been going to your feedback team for way too long without a sensible fix. If employee fraud is a concern, then build in a required supervisor/owner code to proceed with a deletion. 

Message 28 of 352

This is what I suggested and seems like a sensible fix. Make it so that only 'managers' or store owners can issue the returns which clear those transactions whether it be cash, debit, whichever. 

Then would have to use that login ONLY to make those changes happen with the sufficient priveledges.

Message 29 of 352

why can't square create this simple feature for all user to simply delete the transaction??? 

Message 30 of 352

What if you do not even know where the money is coming from, since I never was able to enter the purchaser's credit card or email address.  Plus I was the one that responded on both sides of this transaction???  Was I charged and received on this one and only transaction I just made today, on December 17, 2018.  There has to be a way to see that this transaction was a mistake. ???  I had used Square for other companies I worked for, but now that I am using this for my own company, it sure has not been easy for me, which I don't understand why either.  Please,  help me.   I don't understand why this transaction went so wrong.

Message 31 of 352
Super Seller

You'll have to explain your story a bit more so I can try and help.  Did you make a cash sale instead of a Credit card sale?  not exactly sure.

Message 32 of 352

George....   This is a great frustration and Square seems to have a 'pound salt' attitude about it.  System needs a fix!!!!!

Message 33 of 352

I have an issue with this that I need help with. It looks like you still can't delete transactions as of today. I know there is an option to refund transactions but not if they're $0. I have a lot of $0 cash transactions because of memberships we offer where the payment already went through through another payment service. However, we ask our estheticians to ring up the service at full price (e.g. $40), then apply 100% discount so that the transaction is recorded for payroll purposes. If they make a mistake, I can't refund the $0 transaction and my books show $40 in sales that never happened. Please help!

Message 34 of 352

George. This is the most popular feature request I see listed. Don't you think this would take top priority? It looks like there are some of your customers recommending other POS systems that currently have this functionality. Seems like an easy fix and a great way to show us your team cares. 😀

Message 35 of 352

I just re-activated my acct and was trying to figure out how to enter a sale.  I refunded the amounts but my acct is showing a total of $61 in sales.  I don't want that there.  Can I delete it?  It's confusing.  Thank you.  

Message 36 of 352
Square

There isn't currently a way to delete a sale, check the post above.

Message 37 of 352

Indeed.. It's confusing. I just did a test using this app. So I made a random goods and fake price, just to make sure everything is match with my type of business. So i've done the test, and try to apply to my real business. So "Refund" will count differently on the report. This would be the best feature if it's develop on the app or the web.

Message 38 of 352
Square

@Dcyphert @Metroyal - Appreciate the feedback! We'll be sure to pass along your thoughts on this feature request. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 39 of 352

I'm new to using the square. Thought I was in train form. Now have a sales on a day I don't want! Any way to delete it?

Message 40 of 352
Square

Sorry to hear about the confusion, check out the answers above. 

Message 41 of 352
Beta Member

The answer is no. No, Square does NOT let you delete mistakes, errors, transactions you enter as a test or for training purposes, etc. No, no, no. You can not delete it. (Can you tell I'm super frustrated about this?!?)

Message 42 of 352